Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,617 times

Advertisements

We are meeting with our realtor tonight to get our house officially listed - YEAH! I plan to ask her but I wanted to see what the folks here would say as well.

Here is our situation. I have a 45 min - 1 hour commute one way to work (I know that is not a major deal but it matters when you read the rest). DH had a major surgery on his ankle Dec. 18 and cannot walk, drive, etc. until sometime in February (if we are lucky). A friend is picking up our son at school and bringing him home after school for us so he is there after 3 pm too. So my question is what happens if someone wants to see our house while I'm working? We don't want to limit access to our house b/c in our market houses are everywhere. But unless I'm at home, he can't leave. I can't leave and go home every time someone wants to see the house to take him somewhere. With notice I guess my dad could come get him for a little while. The lockbox wouldn't bother me but he is stuck in the house.

Will it be horrible if he is there or should we ask them to only show it in the evenings and on weekends? I don't want to limit it. We are motivated to sell believe me but life has to go on even when trying to sell a house. I'm curious what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 10:52 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,110,497 times
Your DH can stay home while the house is being shown. He just needs to be quiet and unobtrusive as possible. Ideally, totally absorbed in some kind of work so people won't be tempted to pry for information. He can greet them pleasantly and then go back to work or reading or whatever. Playing music at low volume will help too (people won't feel like their private conversation can be overheard).

Your agent can explain to visitors or other agents that your DH will be present for the showing, and can talk with you about arranging for him to be absent if they request a 2nd showing.

I bought my favorite house of all time when the owners were home.
I sold my last house to people who had their first showing when I was at home.
I disappeared for the home inspection to give them some unfettered time.
I think it's better to accommodate the showing and let people see the place, than to postpone because you can't be out when the people want to see it.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
It's not a big deal. Just let the agents know that one of the home owners will be home as he is incapacitated at the present time. Just like the other poster said - have him be as unobtrusive as possible with some activity or music.

We've had spur of the moment showings when we were not planning to leave the house, so we'd walk outside and hang out by the pool or hubby would be in his office working. The house still sold.

Good luck and hope your hubby gets better soon!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 AM

540 posts, read 2,174,560 times
The issue of your DH being "unobtrusive" is a very good point; however I want to emphasize that he should really avoid any "casual conversation" at all with the potential buyers (other than welcoming them...and being pleasant).

In this market, keep in mind that your NEGOTIATION strength is very important and even an off-hand comment could be interpreted (or misinterpreted) and impact your position. Saying "we'd really like to get this house sold..." or "yep, we've been on the market for 6 weeks now..." will invariably be read by the buyer and their agents to mean something (even if they don't).

I had a situation a few years ago when a very nice elderly lady was at home during the showing and actually disclosed to us that they already had an offer that was "under full price, but we are waiting to see what you're going to do before we decided on it." Well, I'm here to tell you that it DID impact my client's offer price.

The other point here is that anything your DH says could be considered a "representation" of fact. For example, if you answer the question, "Do you know where the property lines are?" with "I think they are right on the fence line there..." and the buyer relies on that information (which could subsequently be WRONG...in fact the fence is 5 inches on the OTHER side of the property line...oops!)

Good luck to you...

Dave

Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 PM

276 posts, read 1,459,261 times
Could he make it out to the car? When my kids are sick I just put them in the car with a video and sit in the driveway.

I have viewed homes where people are home and honestly, I don't like it. I understand that there are some circumstances like yours when people can't leave, but as a buyer, I want to get out of the house fast if people are home - I just feel like I'm being very intrusive.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM

45 posts, read 252,940 times
I imagine your husband has a bit of mobility? (needs to get access to the bathroom, food, etc). If he is on crutches or in a wheelchair, can he relocate to the garage, or outside? As a buyer, I feel MUCH more comfortable touring a house when the owner is not present. Buyers will linger longer as well. Is your husband bedbound? If not he should be able to maneuver himself enough 'out of the way'. Best of luck to both of you!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,758,676 times
Find some way to get him out during the showings. I really, really dislike looking at a home when the owner is there. Like kristin1 says, it feels really intrusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate