Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 10,281 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of buying a new house (new construction), Minnesota. We verbally agreed to a price but haven't signed anything yet and no inspection yet. We have a concern and want to make sure we are protected in worst case scenario. It's a walk out basement and a couple of the 2x4s in the basement are discolored. The real estate agent said that the beams were probably left outside during construction, but obviously we are paranoid that it could be mold. And more paranoid that there could a mold issue in the basement. We still need to get an inspection but its the winter now in MN so i feel that if there is a water issue in the basement, it might not be apparent while its frozen. Anyone have any ideas how we can protect us if there reveals to be a mold issue in basement once summer comes? What can we put in the contract?

Thank you for your help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:45 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Get a mold inspection...and while you're at it, a radon inspection done properly. Hire the companies yourself.

I always feel, if this is what you see...what don't you see?

Old 12-27-2014, 10:51 AM

10 posts, read 10,281 times
Whats a fair price for these inspections? And where woudl be a good place for find good ones? Our real estate agent recommended one and I have no reason to distrust her, but obviously I'd rather get a independent one. Also, woudl the tests be conclusive in the winter time?

Thank you!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:54 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
Why worry, pass on this house.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:09 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolercity View Post
Our real estate agent recommended one and I have no reason to distrust her, but obviously I'd rather get a independent one.
Why would you think a person your agent recommended would not be an independent one? We don't work for our recommendations, and our recommendations don't work for us. We recommend people because our other clients have had good experiences with them, so they end up on our referral lists. Why would your agent recommend someone you couldn't trust when it's her you're going to call if it turns out to be mold and you find that out a few months from now. Does your agent really want that angry phone call? And then you get to trash her name all over town so she can't get new business... One transaction is not worth the domino effect of 1 angry client.

If your agent recommended someone, it's because they're a trustworthy person whom they know in the industry. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, she gave you a recommendation because, as you said, you have no idea where to go to find someone to call.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:22 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Since the drywall is not discolored, and no mold? is visible on it, my rough guess is the lumber was left out and got wet before construction. It looks like its only on a few boards. I noticed the angled board under the stairs is very clean, even where it butts up to the discolored ones.

While I don't think its a big deal at all, you could always dig a little deeper if you wanted. Find someone with a moisture meter and take some readings. You could always wipe the boards down with a mold cleaning solution then paint them.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:37 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,856,280 times
Honestly, looks like bluestaining or ironstaining, not mold.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Default p wise and £ foolish

Personally, I think the builder is an idiot.
Wood is cheap.
If the builder had tossed these, there were be no issue with the prospective buyer.
Just dealing with the perceived (or maybe real) problem is going to cost way more money.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM

120 posts, read 309,683 times
If I lived in Minnesota, I would consult with Structure Tech.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default What a ridiculous response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Why worry, pass on this house.
Nell clearly can be ignored.

The photo shows no evidence of mold on the drywall nor any damage that would be consistent with anything other than simple exposure during construction.

Anyone that believes any home is going to be ABSOLUTELY PERFECT will pass over thousands of excellent homes for no good reason!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate