Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:28 PM

441 posts, read 534,619 times

Advertisements

We're going to move from Chicagoland to San Diego and are in the process of house hunting (virutally at the moment). Some of the houses we've liked have a pool - my husband would rather have a yard so we'd probably remove the pool. I've heard anything from $2,000-3,000 to $8,000-10,000 to do this. Has anyone done this and, if so, how complicated was it and how expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:47 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Congrats on the move. My SIL lives in SD. She has worked with home buyers that would prefer a patio or grassy yard to a tiny yard filled with a pool that is not ideal in SD climate. On the low end, just filling it with "approved construction grade fill" will likely cost more than a few thousand dollars. You need to get all the permits to make sure it is done properly as the municipal authorities understandably do not want anything toxic being heaped in yards. The also have to verify that if can be done is a way that will not negatively impact ground water / overland water flow. That is bigger deal in some parts of SD where they have protected hillsides...

Once the thing is filled in you need to budget for some greenery and /or hardscaping. This can get crazy. Mature cacti and palms can cost tens of thousands of dollars. Native plants that don't need much water grow slowly. Irrigation restrictions are numerous. If you want a nice "outdoor kitchen" with a "shade structure" you can spend as much on that as a luxury imported car...

Figure a couple of month of hassles and budget according to priorities. It ain't cheap. But you will use it all year round which is harder to say about a pool...

Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
When you get out of the Chicago cold and into the SD year-round warmth, you might discover that a pool is much more appealing. Nevertheless, I don't think anyone actually "takes out a pool". Instead, they fill them in and make large (expensive) planters. Better yet, if you are really firm on getting rid of a pool, don't buy a house that has one in the first place. (Otherwise, you are probably talking conservatively about $10-$15K ... depending on whether you are going to also remove the decking, etc.).

Old 01-05-2015, 01:05 PM

I wouldn't mind a pool; today I said that if we end up buying a house with a pool, please can we keep it just for one year? But the husband says "then you pay the maintenance". I've heard you can't just fill one in because of drainage issues; you have to actually remove the old pool. So the higher end estimate is probably more realistic and a starting point. Thanks for the details, Chet!

Old 01-05-2015, 01:05 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Also consider the price impact on your home sales price if you try to resell it. Ask the realtor what would your house appraise at without the pool. You want to make sure you aren't underwater on your mortgage.

I too would try and buy a home without a pool.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
I say empty it out and learn to skateboard. Imagine the fun you could have with your very own skatepark right in the back yard. LOL

Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 PM

We definitely prefer a house without a pool but just in case wanted to get an idea of the costs to remove one.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:14 PM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,150,000 times
They can be filled in: there are prescriptive methods involved of course and requires a permit typically,but, is less than total removal,however, it is not cheap- you will probably be into the mid four figures. The equipment needs to be removed properly as well.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:35 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
City may require complete removal. In that case, heavy equipment to break up the pool, filling in and compacting the soil. Can be very expensive. Far cheaper to keep the pool running, about $75 a month.

Cheapest way is to knock some holes in the bottom. Knock the curbing into the old pool, then fill and compact the soil.

In any event, when you get rain,you will have additional compaction, requiring additional soil and landscaping.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:39 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
$6K - $8K
How much does it cost to remove a built-in swimming pool?

Cost to Remove Pool - 2014 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based)

$6K - $15K
Pool Removal - Pool Removal Cost

Best to get a couple bids from contractors who do this before making offer on house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate