Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 10:10 PM

450 posts, read 509,016 times

Advertisements

I'm lost... Why would I have to "disclose" a death in my house that might be for sale? Maybe Gramma died in her sleep of natural causes or maybe someone else decided to take their own life at some point in time. Why should that matter in the sale of a home? The living people are moving out, and the dead people are, well... dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:44 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,361,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
I'd buy the house. Easy. People die in their homes all the time - of heart disease, lung disease, all sorts of diseases and ailments. That person died of brain disease (depression).

Every house has both a happy and sad story to tell, and certainly there was a lot of laughter and love in there too.
Totally agree. Very well said, Moon.

All houses (apartments, condos & single family) are filled with the past energy of arguments, divorce, minor crimes, illness, deaths in the family (possibly at home), accidents, bad vibes of all sorts from previous owners, visitors & even neighbors... & all the good actions, behaviors & feelings, too.

If you believe in such things, you could find someone to cleanse the house for your... either a Feng Shui practitioner, priest, energy healer/space clearer, or do it yourself in any symbolic way meaningful to you.

Maybe visit again for awhile & see how it feels. If it feels great, take it. If not, there will be others. Good luck!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:58 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,033,870 times
I have taken on the sale of a house where the owner died by natural causes in the home by listing it as an "Estate Sale" which makes it perfectly clear that the owner died. It is not connotative that the owner died on the property but it leaves open the option for the buyer to ask the question and the owner's heirs to answer it. It is not in most states a requirement to disclose this information unless the buyer point blank asks.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:45 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,226,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Let's say you found a great deal on a house. It's listed 12% below comparable listings...

That house is a deal and is BY FAR the best deal out there, but the house has a history not publicly known. The previous owner of the house committed suicide in the house.
I'm a little unclear on what is going on with the price. You believe that the suicide is not publicly known - but then why is the house priced lower? If it's such a great deal why hasn't it been snatched up yet? The two don't match up.

It could be that the suicide is know and is driving down the price (in which case, buy it), or there could be something else (i.e. structural) that you haven't discovered. I'd definitely get a thorough inspection of the house done before before buying it.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:01 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,653,774 times
Quote:
The previous owner shot himself in the head in the master bedroom.
This happened to a woman I knew in Florida; she was away and asked a friend to house-sit. He shot himself in the head in her "master" bedroom, and she couldn't sell that house to save her life. I don't know her well enough (haven't been in touch) to know if she disclosed it and that's the problem, but I remember when it happened. She tried to sell it about two years later, and about FOUR YEARS after that, it was still sitting idly on the market.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 AM

8,577 posts, read 12,457,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWEvergreen View Post
I'm lost... Why would I have to "disclose" a death in my house that might be for sale?
Only a few states require disclosure, often with a time limit involved.

Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 AM

8,284 posts, read 8,690,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
This happened to a woman I knew in Florida; she was away and asked a friend to house-sit. He shot himself in the head in her "master" bedroom, and she couldn't sell that house to save her life. I don't know her well enough (haven't been in touch) to know if she disclosed it and that's the problem, but I remember when it happened. She tried to sell it about two years later, and about FOUR YEARS after that, it was still sitting idly on the market.
I doubt that is the reason it wouldn't sell. Unless the person was famous nobody remembers except their friends and family.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:38 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,785,154 times
2 of the house i own first one guy hung himself in the garage I found him 3 days latter the other his wife shot him. Never had a problem re renting them no one cares.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:41 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,304,764 times
unless it has ghosts you are all good

Old 01-23-2015, 12:11 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,974,650 times
Quote:
The previous owner shot himself in the head in the master bedroom.
That's a bit gruesome. Were the walls, ceiling and floors replaced, or were they washed and painted? I'd expect replacement prior to purchase ... simply because I wouldn't want to think about human tissue and blood under the paint or between the floor boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate