Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:35 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times

Advertisements

While I too understand that there are fines & interest imposed on unpaid property taxes the fact is that foreclosures generally are overseen by a judge that will have seen LOTS of situations and for folks that appear unsophisticated / unaware of the law the judge cannot really provide any special relief. In contrast if the OP's parents get an experienced lawyer that has successfully laid out a legal basis for those fines being reduced / eliminated for situations that may involve retirees that are being preyed upon the effort could very well be worth it.

In a technical sense it is not uncommon for people to sell homes before a foreclosure but that is NOT THE BEST WAY TO APPROACH this because that creates a "race to the close" which no buyer or seller really needs to deal with AND it also will all but certainly transfer a HUGE portion of the equity to the firm that "bought" the delinquent taxes. I know how those sorts firms do business and BELIEVE ME THEY ARE NOT LOOKING OUT FOR DAD'S INTERESTS!!!

The OP really needs to ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW trying to line up either a private attorney OR a senior advocacy / ombudsman to get mom & dad on the right path. NOW NOW NOW!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 AM

6 posts, read 4,038 times
I contacted a pro senior lawyer who offered "free" help to senior citizens. I explained the situation to her and that my parents do not have any savings built up, and that the only asset they really have is the home. She, herself, even stated that a reverse mortgage was the best option to prevent foreclosure of the home. At this point, what kind of lawyer do I need to find? Bankruptcy? Real estate? Consumer? And yes, I live in Ohio.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:22 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromyheart View Post
I contacted a pro senior lawyer who offered "free" help to senior citizens. I explained the situation to her and that my parents do not have any savings built up, and that the only asset they really have is the home. She, herself, even stated that a reverse mortgage was the best option to prevent foreclosure of the home. At this point, what kind of lawyer do I need to find? Bankruptcy? Real estate? Consumer? And yes, I live in Ohio.
Which only proves that some attorneys know squat--especially about real estate.

We're you able to determine the time frame that is available to your parents to avoid foreclosure? That should be the first thing to figure out.

If the free attorney can't figure out the foreclosure process (sometimes you get what you pay for), you should consult with an experienced real estate attorney.

At least your parents' house isn't in Michigan. It would be long gone by now! (Michigan has one of the quickest tax foreclosure processes in the country.)

Old 01-27-2015, 09:37 AM

6 posts, read 4,038 times
Thanks. Does anyone happen to have any real estate lawyers in Ohio for recommendation? (specifically the columbus area)

Old 01-27-2015, 10:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
She, herself, even stated that a reverse mortgage was the (simplistic) option
to (get the cash needed to) prevent foreclosure of the home (and allow M&D to remain).
She wasn't entirely wrong... but this approach is still not addressing the question
of HIGH taxes ($6K vs $260K value) and overall affordability.

Even if the current problem is sorted ...can the folks afford to remain there?
Especially if they don't have any investment income or more than SS as income.

Quote:
At this point, what kind of lawyer do I need to find? Bankruptcy? Real estate?
Yes.. Most BK trustee attorneys will be good for the RE issues as well.
http://tinyurl.com/po23gt3

Old 01-27-2015, 10:31 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and could use some guidance. Recently, I have found out that my parent's have been unable to keep up with property taxes and now are trying to be foreclosed. They are 66 and 62 who are currently living off of social security. The property taxes are about ~$6k a year. They currently owe ~$60k in both property and judgment lien. The house, however, is completely paid off, and has a net of $260k. My parents recently got served from the property tax lien company and is now trying to foreclose the home. My question is - would a reverse mortgage be the best option for them? I have been trying to do some research on the RM and it seems like a good option - but I don't know if there is anything "hidden" I should know about? I would also imagine that my parents would want to stay for probably another 3-4 years max and downsize afterwards as the home is too big for just 2 people.

Any input or help would be great. Thanks.
I say they should investigate selling and downsizing now. Maybe a small home, condo, etc. Something they can afford.

A Reverse Mortgage can be tricky. I think for one person alone, wanting to stay in their house, and needing a few bucks to make ends meet, then a Reverse Mortgage could make some sense.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
jackmichigan and chet; would a home equity line of credit work? They could pay off the taxes; interest rates are dirt cheap, and they would have some breathing room to get the house ready to sell and not have to list it at a fire sale price.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:18 PM

366 posts, read 411,060 times
Forget the reverse mortgage.

Sell the house now and pay off the debt, then move into a nice retirement apartment.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:37 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,267,339 times
Most states have a forgiveness statute as well...look into that. If your house is foreclosed on, there is often a time frame, where you can reclaim it once taxes are paid. That should be worst case scenario. Most taxing authorities will work with you, set up a payment plan....In Texas there is a deferral statute that allows taxes to be deferred until death of the homeowner if the equity is sufficient. It is basically a reverse mortgage with no fees...just a 5% annual interest rate....they place a lien on the house, and get paid first when the house is sold at death..must be over 65 or disabled though.

I personally think the house should be listed for sale quick....Get them somewhere they can afford. It's not worth losing much of your equity to attorneys fees. However, even in a worst case scenario, your parents don't just lose the home....If the taxes owed are $60,000 and the house sells for $260,000 your parents will receive the excess after the judgment is satisfied....That excess though will, in most cases, be reduced by the costs associated with the foreclosure proceedings.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
However, even in a worst case scenario, your parents don't just lose the home....If the taxes owed are $60,000 and the house sells for $260,000 your parents will receive the excess after the judgment is satisfied....That excess though will, in most cases, be reduced by the costs associated with the foreclosure proceedings.
You're a lawyer, but you should be very careful about offering such blanket statements. Unless you specifically know about Ohio law, that may not be the case. I know that in Michigan, if a house is lost through tax foreclosure there is NO redemption period and there is NO ability to recover any value above what was owed in taxes (absent a legal challenge as to process). All value is lost--even if the property sells at auction for 100 times the tax amount owed.

I have no idea what the legal requirements are in Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate