Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Realtors on average know less than Zillow about homes.
Posters, on average, know even less than those of us that are on the front lines every day. Zillow? Amusement value only in my neck of the woods.

Back in my early days in Everett, WA, one could stand at the curb and nail the value of every home on the street within $500 (Homes were priced in the 40K to 60K range).

Buying a car? Have you seen the TrueCar ads? Put your zip code in and we'll tell you what cars have sold for in your area. There might be 20,000 cars with the same build numbers in the US. Why would your zip code matter? Because markets are localized.

Zillow might be great in some subdivisions in some cities, but their model has no idea what's on the inside of any given home and even if an owner claims the property, and adds information to it, it's still going to be a case of the law of large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
I think you "remove everything" people are paranoid.
1. Burglars only care about: TVs, drugs, cash, jewelry. 3/4 are not shown in photos.
2. The NSA already all this info in their database.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:49 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
Save the old photos for future before and after comparisons.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 PM

175 posts, read 226,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Zillow is complete garbage. My neighbor that has a smaller and worn down property yet worth more than mine on Zillow. You can't have software do automated property assessment guessing.
There are many flaws with the Zestimate, but just because you disagree is not prima facie proof that it's wrong. Maybe your neighbor's property really is worth more than yours.

You seem to be taking this (basically useless) estimate pretty personally, but don't feel bad because you're not the only one.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dihappy View Post
FYI - Dont direct anyone to Trillow (trulia/zillow), especially for home values...yikes!

Send them to a REALTOR, the local MLS website search feature, or Realtor.com

Inaccurate Zillow 'Zestimates' a source of conflict over home prices - LA Times
NOT TRUE AT ALL.

Trulia gives the public records information and the comps ADDRESSES AND DATA. And if for some weird reason you think it's a lie you can look yourself on the property tax office records.

The VALUE is what the comps say - give or take. We don't need a REALTOR TO FIGURE THAT OUT. Now if there are no comps, PERHAPS we'll trust you guys to ballpark it.

Besides, the REALTOR is the one putting the listing up there from MLS so what's the problem again with Trulia? I have NEVER seen Trulia be wrong.

OH. It's that the realtors can't steer you to just THEIR listings, right?

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-25-2015 at 03:34 AM..

Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooksmom View Post
You need to volunteer somewhere! You have too much time to think about things that absolutely do not matter in the grande scheme of things. Meals on Wheels would be happy to have you and you would meet some of the finest human beings on Earth delivering meals to them! Most are either lower income or home-bound for a myriad of reasons. They are ALWAYS thrilled to see you coming! You could even possibly save a life doing this. Your upgraded home would not mean a darn thing to you any longer and Zillow would be a thing of your past, too. IF MOW isn't your cup-o-tea, then Habitat or a Battered Women's Shelter might be. OR any lower income Elementary School in the country could use you to sit, one on one with a child having difficulty learning to read, most likely because his/her parents do not speak English to them at home.
Remember: YOU asked.
They asked "is it odd"?

They didn't ask for some cutesy condescending social worker lecture.

But you're right about one thing. [Even NOT] asking gets you annoying replies on the internet.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:56 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,623,706 times
I agree with most of the posters here. Go to realtor.com or have a realtor look some homes you like in specific areas that you are considering. Zillows has lots of wrong information. I don't know how they arrive at some of their Zestimate figures either.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:13 PM

431 posts, read 599,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Zillows has lots of wrong information.
According to Zillow, our one-storey home has an elevator. I'd love to know where it goes to.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:45 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,070,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Posters, on average, know even less than those of us that are on the front lines every day. Zillow? Amusement value only in my neck of the woods.

Back in my early days in Everett, WA, one could stand at the curb and nail the value of every home on the street within $500 (Homes were priced in the 40K to 60K range).

Buying a car? Have you seen the TrueCar ads? Put your zip code in and we'll tell you what cars have sold for in your area. There might be 20,000 cars with the same build numbers in the US. Why would your zip code matter? Because markets are localized.

Zillow might be great in some subdivisions in some cities, but their model has no idea what's on the inside of any given home and even if an owner claims the property, and adds information to it, it's still going to be a case of the law of large numbers.
If you're making a serious argument, please explain how being on the front lines increases your knowledge about what is going on in my zip code. Honest question. Give a quick 3 sentence assessment. It should be easy as my neighborhood doesn't cross a zip code line, so there's only one to choose. Bonus points for splitting it out by urban village or elementary school zone...

Old 02-26-2015, 07:35 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
If you're making a serious argument, please explain how being on the front lines increases your knowledge about what is going on in my zip code. Honest question. Give a quick 3 sentence assessment. It should be easy as my neighborhood doesn't cross a zip code line, so there's only one to choose. Bonus points for splitting it out by urban village or elementary school zone...
Your original claim was specious about MOST agents not knowing as much as some algorithm.

I don't care about your "urban village" or your elementary school zone. I know the 110 square miles of my service area better than just about anyone else and certainly more than Zillow. I didn't claim to know anything about your zip code, but If I serviced it I'd know way more than the average resident and some folly filled database.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate