Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it would have cost your relative more to get the homestead rebate due her since it would appear whoever drew up the HUD form was responsible as well as her advisor. They apparently put it on the wrong line. I wonder what the buyers and their advisor - realtor/atty - thought. Just took the windfall I guess.

If you're talking about New Jersey the survey is commonly required by the lender. The buyer chooses and works with the lender. So the buyer pays for their lender's appraisal so the buyer can get their home loan and the buyer pays for their lender's survey so the buyer can get their home loan.

So....where's the buyer that the survey company can't get them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 03:19 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If I owned that survey company, I would feel like my accounting person needs to be replaced.
That's reasonable (provided that no other collection attempts had been made to this point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
If the bank hired the survey company, the bank needs to pay them.
Whichever party benefited from the survey needs to pay them.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
People make mistakes. That doesn't mean they should be liable to pay for any involved services that were performed for someone else.

On our last purchase, the Title Company mistakenly charged the seller, rather than us, for pro-rated taxes (about $3-4K). When they advised us of the problem (after the closing, I didn't think, "It's your mistake, you or the seller are stuck with it" -- That would have been dishonest! -- Ethics should not be determined by legal technicalities or convenience.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:14 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Whichever party benefited from the survey needs to pay them.
That depends...... Lets say the bank changed the buyer for the survey, but failed to pay the survey company.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I don't know if it would have cost your relative more to get the homestead rebate due her since it would appear whoever drew up the HUD form was responsible as well as her advisor. They apparently put it on the wrong line. I wonder what the buyers and their advisor - realtor/atty - thought. Just took the windfall I guess.

If you're talking about New Jersey the survey is commonly required by the lender. The buyer chooses and works with the lender. So the buyer pays for their lender's appraisal so the buyer can get their home loan and the buyer pays for their lender's survey so the buyer can get their home loan.

So....where's the buyer that the survey company can't get them?
Yes, NJ. She didn't have a lender. She bought the place with "cash". But the purchased property was a short sale - I don't know if that would make a difference or not?

She still had to have title insurance, perhaps the survey was required by the title company in a "no lender" case?

My family member was only away when the closing finally happened. Had planned her big trip with friends about a year in advance. She was supposed to close over the summer but it ended up getting pushed back a few times and of course, took place while she was away in the late fall.

The survey company contacted the title company and the title company contacted her lawyer. I don't know if that's protocol or not.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
She still had to have title insurance, perhaps the survey was required by the title company in a "no lender" case?
Title insurance companies will often require a recent survey in order to remove exceptions in the title insurance policy.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:34 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,667,145 times
I think I'd be having a talk with the closing attorney/title company and point out that, since they screwed up on the homestead reimbursement and got a pass for that, they need to suck it up and pay the survey.

Around here, at least, the attorney's office asks if the buyer wants a survey, and gives the buyer a form that the seller fills out, along with credit card information, and sends it to the surveying company. It isn't often billed at closing, because the survey company wants to get paid regardless of whether or not the deal closes. :-)

While I agree that two years is a ridiculously long time to discover you haven't been paid, it's also true that your relative a) dd order a survey, or had one ordered on her behalf; and b) she has received a benefit from the survey. To sum it up, the money is owed to the company who did nothing but a) do a survey and b) made a mistake on their accounting.

And yes, it comes through quite clearly that you don't like the attorney, and think your relative is an idiot for using them. Suck it up, buttercup, and stop with the "I TOLD you!" self-rightousness. All's it does is **** people off. :-)

Old 02-27-2015, 11:53 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yes, NJ. She didn't have a lender. She bought the place with "cash". But the purchased property was a short sale - I don't know if that would make a difference or not?

My family member was only away when the closing finally happened. Had planned her big trip with friends about a year in advance. She was supposed to close over the summer but it ended up getting pushed back a few times and of course, took place while she was away in the late fall.

The survey company contacted the title company and the title company contacted her lawyer. I don't know if that's protocol or not.

Ah. So at first it seemed you were referring to that closing of the home your relative was selling .... including the survey. That is why I said the buyer should pay for the survey. But it seems now the survey you are talking about that was not paid was on the home your relative was purchasing.

So, why did she get a survey if she paid cash? And actually in a short sale or foreclosure it seems like one gets fewer services, less info and fewer guarantees....rather than more as in having the survey done.

She needs a good lawyer. She must see what the bad one has done for her so far. Maybe a good letter on that legal firm's stationary can help out. The survey company needs to prove who requested the survey. It may have been the title company assuming there was a loan.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I think I'd be having a talk with the closing attorney/title company and point out that, since they screwed up on the homestead reimbursement and got a pass for that, they need to suck it up and pay the survey.

Around here, at least, the attorney's office asks if the buyer wants a survey, and gives the buyer a form that the seller fills out, along with credit card information, and sends it to the surveying company. It isn't often billed at closing, because the survey company wants to get paid regardless of whether or not the deal closes. :-)

While I agree that two years is a ridiculously long time to discover you haven't been paid, it's also true that your relative a) dd order a survey, or had one ordered on her behalf; and b) she has received a benefit from the survey. To sum it up, the money is owed to the company who did nothing but a) do a survey and b) made a mistake on their accounting.

And yes, it comes through quite clearly that you don't like the attorney, and think your relative is an idiot for using them. Suck it up, buttercup, and stop with the "I TOLD you!" self-rightousness. All's it does is **** people off. :-)
She agreed to split the cost with her lawyer.

Her lawyer will pay $250, she will pay the other $250.

I never said anything about the lawyer other than we told her not to use him (because he's "semi-retired" & not available to his clients as someone who isn't) & that he initially stated that he didn't make the mistake so he didn't feel responsible for it.

Not sure where you saw that I think my elderly relative is an idiot for making her own decisions or self righteous indignation either.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Title insurance companies will often require a recent survey in order to remove exceptions in the title insurance policy.
There you go! Sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate