Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 03:11 PM

7 posts, read 10,979 times

Advertisements

Yes, you are right in some cases. But my point remains: the general public think all we do is open doors and stick a sign outside a house. It's not their fault, but they don't have a clue how much work it is and what a huge responsibility it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 03:35 PM

6,463 posts, read 9,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
What have I made up, Emperor?
Nothing to do with real estate. Nothing.

Wow, you have resorted to name calling lol

Old 03-26-2015, 03:45 PM

43,361 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Wow, you have resorted to name calling lol
What have I made up?

Old 03-26-2015, 04:04 PM

6,463 posts, read 9,837,889 times
Quote:
What have I made up?
You were making up things for your rebuttal to sound normal. I will agree you have made up nothing as far as real estate that I know of lol

When did I pick a guru or thought leader that you have mentioned more than once?

I said land lines/Analog were being cut, then you try to turn it into a tw, google discussion. Analog and VOIP are 2 different beasts.

You also insinuated I was saying that VOIP is now cell or wireless? Really? lol

SO yeah, you keep making up things to suit your rebuttals. I'm done with this thread. Your name calling says enough for me lol

Notice you didnt mention that, only that I didnt take the time to type out what you were making up haha

Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM

43,361 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
You were making up things for your rebuttal to sound normal. I will agree you have made up nothing as far as real estate that I know of lol

When did I pick a guru or thought leader that you have mentioned more than once?

I said land lines/Analog were being cut, then you try to turn it into a tw, google discussion. Analog and VOIP are 2 different beasts.

You also insinuated I was saying that VOIP is now cell or wireless? Really? lol

SO yeah, you keep making up things to suit your rebuttals. I'm done with this thread. Your name calling says enough for me lol

Notice you didnt mention that, only that I didnt take the time to type out what you were making up haha
So, FWIW, i agree. One who has nothing to add to a real estate thread probably should withdraw.
However, doing some reading about real estate might empower one with more knowledge than withdrawing could.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:30 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,212,492 times
Some realtors are worth the money, others are useless at any price. Here I talk about the former category.

I come up with the asking price myself (based on a lot of research, sometimes months of it) and when I talk to prospective realtors I ask them what price do they think I should ask, just to see what they say. It's important to know just what page they're on. If they come up with a price above what you think you should ask, you need to find out why (the others I push aside for the time being).

And, here's why: I only use realtors that in the process of consideration show some evidence that they have done the work; they "have a list" that is, they know personally of potential buyers that are specifically looking in that area and for that type of property, and, sometimes, it turns out - your specific property (it has happened).

This plays out two ways:

1) the realtor you want DOESN'T plan an open house (except [and this is important] just for other realtors). Open house realtor: BAD! They know of few if any potential buyers for your property. Stay away!

2) If you picked a good realtor, on top of other things, you should see a flush of showings within the first two weeks after the listing begins. This is important. If it occurs, you picked a good one. If it doesn't, you've picked the wrong realtor.

3) the realtor makes positive (often limited, but repeated) comments about what "good condition" your house is in This means "good attitude," and the other factors can therefore play out.

The realtor that falls in this category is worth it simply because they have spent a lot of time collecting info on potential buyers interested in your area. Two realtors I've used in the recent past taught me this lesson. They actually had info on people living 200 - 300 miles away that were licking their chops for property in my area. Another one took no time to bring in locals - like a half dozen, within days That's a lot of work. All of those properties sold well above their market value (and more than I thought they were worth), cash money, within 3 weeks. All of thoseproperties were staged to their "utmost potential", by the way. That is JUST AS IMPORTANT as what realtor you use. If you don't do that, than just pick any realtor that will cut the percentage. That's the only way you'll possibly gain. In most areas these days, you cannot sell a filthy dump for "market value"; in fact, far from it. Even a good realtor will have a bad attitude under those conditions. Clean it, paint it touch it up, and get rid of any and all useless junk. Takes a little elbow grease, but costs next to nothing and is well worth it.

Bottom line: I think a good realtor earns their commission.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-26-2015 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 07:45 PM

442 posts, read 595,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
1) the realtor DOESN'T plan an open house (except [and this is important] just for other realtors). Open house realtor: BAD! They know of few if any potential buyers for your property. Stay away!
Broker opens don't serve much of a purpose, either. Those of us who have a funnel of buyers are previewing on our own and setting up showings for our buyers as soon as the house hits the market so they have first crack at it (I previewed four houses in the last two days for one buyer in particular, and in three of those cases I was the first preview in a highly competitive market with 13,000 realtors — my buyers have already set up showings for two of those properties). The agents who show up for brokers opens are a) there for the free food and/or b) newbies. In some markets they might serve a genuine purpose; not so much in mine.

I personally use public open houses for problem-solving the listing (and, to be perfectly honest, to introduce myself in new neighborhoods). For example, if we're having showings with no offers a couple of weeks into listing a property and I'm more or less confident in the price, I'll hand out survey cards for people to rate various things about a property and hopefully give us an insight as to what the general public hates about the house. I don't do broker opens.

Open houses can also be good to draw the neighborhood into the house if you market it right. Some neighbors are just too shy to come to an open house unless invited (even though 90 percent want to see the house), and in really good neighborhoods, they might actually have friends who would be interested in a house there. So we send out postcards to the nearest 100 houses to advertise a special "neighbors-only" preview an hour before the open house.

Something like only four percent of houses are sold at an open, though, so you're absolutely right that an agent who says open houses are a core part of their marketing doesn't have many new ideas.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:56 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,613,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
There are agents that will do that. You just have to take some time to find them. They are often independent companies/single agents. They won't have good advertising because it costs money to have a good website and such so you sometimes have to work to find them, but they are in your area/state. Some of the flat fee companies offer just that service. You find the buyer, they will take it offer to close.
But you can't see houses without an agent, so it's a moot point.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:48 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,862,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The real reason though is that consumers want it.
Really? Find me a consumer who wants to pay more for a product than he has to and then pay a representative more for the privilege. If a scaled pay system rewarding the results of successful negotiation is too difficult to understand, perhaps the agent is in the wrong business.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,862,926 times
Quote:
Seriously? You would propose to peg buyer agent compensation to listing price?

So, the incentive created would be to only show overpriced listings?
It would be that for an agent looking out only for their own pocketbooks rather than their client and their own reputation. Know any of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate