Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 08:45 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Same here; love OBX and the east coast farther north, but zero rental potential in "off season."

Sorry; I've posted on a few forums and forget what I said where. But, yes, I plan to make my sole permanent residence the beach eventually (renting it out as much as I can and RVing the rest of the time). I'd just like to get started on the rental income while still working rather than have my money stagnate in the bank, but having trouble deciding on a location..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 09:03 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
...yes, I plan to make my sole permanent residence the beach eventually...
Then as said before... don't look anywhere else than the beaches.

As to the purchase... until you're able (or willing) to cash out the RE you currently own
so that you can buy without a mortgage being needed... hold off buying until after that sale.

Quote:
...but having trouble deciding on a location.
Then as said before... plan to spend 3-6 month in EACH of your top choices.
Short term rentals, sublets, etc. where you're days and nights are in the middle of things.

Beyond the financials involved in this rental scheme you'll also want all manner of other
common retired life amenities available as well as a community you'll enjoy being a part of.

It's nearly impossible to really learn these things from online sources.
Don't expect to.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:04 AM

461 posts, read 666,906 times
I have a friend who has a rental in FL (she lives in VA) and she does pretty good. Not a huge profit in the beginning, but profit has gotten better. Plus she uses it a few times a year too

Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 AM

I AM able to pay cash (thought I said this; sorry)...

And I absolutely cannot travel until retirement (1 1/2 to 2) years; this is why I'm asking strangers rather than just driving around looking for myself...

Surely it's possible to choose at least a TEMPORARY beach location (I can always switch it up later if it's a good rental property) for now via info-gathering.

The tax thing in FL is attractive, as is the potential for year-round rentals... And I agree that it's silly to consider buying any other type of property - anywhere else - if my ULTIMATE destination is the beach.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:09 AM

What kind of rental, Yvette; condo or SF? Beachfront or farther back? Rental program and/or property manager?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
And I absolutely cannot travel until retirement (1 1/2 to 2) years;
this is why I'm asking strangers rather than just driving around looking for myself...
I know.

No matter how many times or ways you might ask the same basic question...
the same basic answers are going to continue to crop up.

Buy once. Have a solid reason to KNOW that location choice will really work (for you).
Hold off on the purchase until you're ready to follow through on the best choice.

Until then: plan a couple of extended vacations to the 6 top prospects.
Once retired (and while the house is being sold) do longer stays at the final 3.

Quote:
I AM able to pay cash (thought I said this; sorry)...
And find something other than RE schemes for the rest of your retirement funds.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 AM

No matter how many times people tell me to visit, I will continue to reply that I CANNOT TRAVEL UNTIL RETIRMENT and don't want to wait two years to invest. IN REAL ESTATE.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
No matter how many times people tell me to visit, I will continue to reply
that I CANNOT TRAVEL UNTIL RETIREMENT
If that's really true.. then buy some books and puzzles to occupy your mind until then.
Here's one: http://www.investopedia.com/university/beginner/
Quote:
...and don't want to wait two years to invest. IN REAL ESTATE.
C'est la vie

The same basic questions... will yield the same basic answers.
And this is true of all posters (no one is singling you out to upset your apple cart)

Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
What kind of town are you looking for: Rural with few restaurants and sparse shopping and not a lot of condos? Or a bigger area with lots of restaurants and shopping and also large high rise condos lining the beach. Or somewhere in between?

Do you care if certain areas are more likely to have hurricanes/tropical storms? Because you mentioned the FL Panhandle,which historically gets hit with more tropical storms/hurricanes versus theJacksonville FL area, for example.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM

I'd love access to a big city (for myself in retirement) and have a preference for wave action versus dead-calm surf, although vacationers with children seem to prefer the gulf in that respect. Jacksonville and Sarasota are other locations I've considered, although too far south gets too hot in the summer for renting OR living myself. St. Augustine seems too quiet/unprofitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate