Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:37 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,583,714 times

Advertisements

My lease ends in early November. Ideally, I would like to be able to move into a new condo in mid October to mid November. Questions:

1) When should I start contacting a realtor and start looking at places?

2) What if I find a place way too early, say in July, can I entered into a contract to secure the place, but delay the closing process until October? I don't want to have months of time of overlapping between rent payment and a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,873,651 times
No seller will wait that long.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,869,535 times
You don't need a Realtor®, you need a real estate agent.
More specifically: a buyer's agent.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:30 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,308,366 times
I'd recommend you start talking to a realtor about 75-90 days out from your desired moving date. Once you find a house, most contracts will have settlement taking place roughly 30-45 days after contract acceptance. In the meantime, keep your credit clean. Visit open houses, research the market, educate yourself about mortgage option. When you are ready, you'll be a prepared buyer ready to move.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
I'd recommend you start talking to a realtor about 75-90 days out from your desired moving date. Once you find a house, most contracts will have settlement taking place roughly 30-45 days after contract acceptance. In the meantime, keep your credit clean. Visit open houses, research the market, educate yourself about mortgage option. When you are ready, you'll be a prepared buyer ready to move.

Visit open houses by myself without an agent?

Where do I find these open houses/condos?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,326,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Visit open houses by myself without an agent?

Where do I find these open houses/condos?
Yes visit on your own. Just give a fake email address and number if they ask you to sign in.

#2. Same place you found City-Data.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM

43,353 posts, read 77,219,919 times
Quote:
My lease ends in early November. Ideally, I would like to be able to move into a new condo in mid October to mid November. Questions:

1) When should I start contacting a realtor and start looking at places?

2) What if I find a place way too early, say in July, can I entered into a contract to secure the place, but delay the closing process until October? I don't want to have months of time of overlapping between rent payment and a mortgage.

1. Talk to an agent any time. Establish a relationship with someone you like to work with. Look at a couple of places at leisure, and learn about your local market and how valuations stack up.
And get your financing in order, too.

2. 60 days to close would be about the maximum. And you may only be able to negotiate 45 days or less.
Mid-October closing would indicate a contract about Labor Day, give or take a few days.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
1. Talk to an agent any time. Establish a relationship with someone you like to work with. Look at a couple of places at leisure, and learn about your local market and how valuations stack up.
And get your financing in order, too.

2. 60 days to close would be about the maximum. And you may only be able to negotiate 45 days or less.
Mid-October closing would indicate a contract about Labor Day, give or take a few days.
What do you mean get my financing in order. I have a stable job/income and my credit score is above 800. When should I go see someone at my bank (Wells Fargo) and get pre-approved?

I do need to get my down payment from a source (a loan from 401K) that requires a signed contract. Is that an issue?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:46 PM

43,353 posts, read 77,219,919 times
Quote:
What do you mean get my financing in order. I have a stable job/income and my credit score is above 800. When should I go see someone at my bank (Wells Fargo) and get pre-approved?

I do need to get my down payment from a source (a loan from 401K) that requires a signed contract. Is that an issue?
Any questions on financing should be referred to your lender. The lender is the one who will have to approve.
When I say to get your financing in order, yes, confirm who you will use as your lender, run your 401K loan past them and be thoroughly prepared to meet their requirements. I would suggest you have a meeting soon, to chart the future.
The loan gauntlet is arduous even for those with excellent credit.
Regardless of having funds and accounts at Wells Fargo, talk to another lender or two. You may not do hugely better at rate and terms, but Wells' mortgage underwriting is a train wreck. Home loans are just a sideline there. Consider using a lender whose primary focus is home loans.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Regardless of having funds and accounts at Wells Fargo, talk to another lender or two. You may not do hugely better at rate and terms, but Wells' mortgage underwriting is a train wreck. Home loans are just a sideline there. Consider using a lender whose primary focus is home loans.
Which other lenders do you recommend that give good rates and easy underwriting for someone with excellent credit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate