Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 07:51 PM

192 posts, read 326,432 times

Advertisements

Familiar with both the westside market and property you were targeting. Hang in there.

Have you considered west LA (90025)? Can probably get a bit more value, although still expensive. Hopefully you've requested a commission rebate from your Realtor and maybe even considered writing through the listing agent (while still offsetting as much of your closing costs as possible) to maximize the seller's net proceeds.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 08:36 PM

360 posts, read 712,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBears98 View Post
Familiar with both the westside market and property you were targeting. Hang in there.

Have you considered west LA (90025)? Can probably get a bit more value, although still expensive. Hopefully you've requested a commission rebate from your Realtor and maybe even considered writing through the listing agent (while still offsetting as much of your closing costs as possible) to maximize the seller's net proceeds.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Yes, I've looked at 90025, 90064, 90034, etc.. I'd purchase in any of those areas for the right deal. Obviously not as desirable as 90405 but if I could find a underpriced condo that I could put some sweat equity into it.. I'd snag it.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,055,101 times
I grew up in Santa Monica. Sad what it is now. :-(

Old 04-01-2015, 09:33 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
Obviously not as desirable as 90405 but if I could...
My daughter and her family lived there for a couple of years.
With the growing baby they needed more room...
but the best they could put together is a rental out in Simi.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
A sure solution to the insane real estate prices in Santa Monica, and other Southern CA coastal communities, is to exile the Nimby's to Catalina Island for 5 years, and you'd soon see a forest of cranes and 2 bedroom condo's selling for $250k, just like Nimby-less Dade County!

Small wonder! The Nimby's in Santa Monica are all but having a heart attack over the prospect of an iconic Gehry-designed 21 story high rise condo there, first high rise to be built there since 1970!

There's a method to their madness: control the number of housing units, and watch the prices soar to the Stratosphere!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
A sure solution to the insane real estate prices in Santa Monica, and other Southern CA coastal communities, is to exile the Nimby's to Catalina Island for 5 years, and you'd soon see a forest of cranes and 2 bedroom condo's selling for $250k, just like Nimby-less Dade County!
hahaha That the complete opposite from what's needed solution.
There is far too much built up as it is.

LA (and coastal CA in general) need to shed themselves of about HALF their population.
Housing prive (and water) problem solved.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Yeah, you do sound like a bit of a sucker. You've be amazed at what you could buy in Michigan for that price!
No joke. Here in TX, you could get a NICE 3/2/2 built in 2006-2009 with 2000+ sq ft for 165K. I truly do not understand the appeal of CA. My father and I lived in the Bay area for years when I was younger, and I don't understand the attraction, nor how anyone can afford it.

Quote:
I earn $105k, not $90k.

In addition to my 20% downpayment, I have cash saved and plan to rent out the master bed / ba for $1750/month which will help.
ADDENDUM: Don't depend on rental income, (especially a certain dollar amount) to make the mortgage. People move out, things break, relationships fail, etc. It sounds like you really can't afford it, and there are few things more stressful than being house poor. Also, it's probably a good idea to save your savings for an emergency.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:21 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
[quote=tijlover;39056540]A sure solution to the insane real estate prices in Santa Monica, and other Southern CA coastal communities, is to exile the Nimby's to Catalina Island for 5 years, and you'd soon see a forest of cranes and 2 bedroom condo's selling for $250k, just like Nimby-less Dade County!

Small wonder! The Nimby's in Santa Monica are all but having a heart attack over the prospect of an iconic Gehry-designed 21 story high rise condo there, first high rise to be built there since 1970!

There's a method to their madness: control the number of housing units, and watch the prices soar to the Stratosphere![/

Old 04-05-2015, 01:23 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
I understand the appeal of CA. I love the scenery, the weather, the mountains, all of it, but the prices still are just not a reasonable value. It comes down to opportunity cost. Think about what you could do with that much money somewhere else. It's amazing to me that with these prices, more people aren't cashing out, moving elsewhere, and living it up somewhere else.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:32 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
You think they were bluffing? Maybe they only have the original 3 offers in? Does this happen often?

Don't count on it being a bluff. Santa Monica is very desirable. If anything it probably will go for higher than the listing price. What you're more likely to encounter is a "bidding war" rather than them accepting a low ball offer. If you can't pay the toll.. Perhaps you should take a different road.... Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate