Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's what we've done. But now a few older neighbors are trying to change the 50 year old covenants and add very strict rules, worse than many HOA's. Not sure how this will end. If they get enough approvals, I guess it will be neighbor suing neighbor since we don't have an HOA and the developer is long gone.
I don't see how they'd be successful in their attempts especially since there is no HOA. I don't believe that there's a mechanism for change in such covenants that were created when the land was plated out other than going in front of the city/county building commission who would probably be reluctant to do so not to mention who's going to pay the fees for the change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Ugh. What a bummer. We don't have any covenants in our neighborhood beyond the standard city ordinances. The neighbor next door works on bikes and four wheelers and has all kinds of vehicles in his side yard. He was pleasant and welcoming to us and he's been there for twenty years so I assume the neighbors are okay with it or at least mind their own business.
I don't mind my neighbor running a junk-yard business from their residence, but I do appreciate their effort to make it inconspicuous. I will be considerate and I expect my neighbor to be considerate. And I really don't like getting code enforcement involved.

If I need to sell, and if my house sells $ 5,000 or $ 10,000 less because of the visible junk-yard next door -- neighbor will have a problem in his hands.

I certainly don't want the Govt to get involved, but some basic rules, such as zoning are necessary.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:38 AM

9,865 posts, read 7,736,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I don't see how they'd be successful in their attempts especially since there is no HOA. I don't believe that there's a mechanism for change in such covenants that were created when the land was plated out other than going in front of the city/county building commission who would probably be reluctant to do so not to mention who's going to pay the fees for the change?
Well, they are saying that the covenants can be changed with 51% of the homeowners in our neighborhood approving it. But I don't know who would enforce them or pay costs associated with fining/suing neighbors. We're not going to agree to anything and we aren't required to be part of any sort of group or pay them dues.

They think it will raise property values, but we bought there specifically because there was no HOA. Our appraiser couldn't even find comps in the neighborhood, all the homes are unique. I just don't want to be tied to a bunch of busy body strangers.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, they are saying that the covenants can be changed with 51% of the homeowners in our neighborhood approving it. But I don't know who would enforce them or pay costs associated with fining/suing neighbors. We're not going to agree to anything and we aren't required to be part of any sort of group or pay them dues.

They think it will raise property values, but we bought there specifically because there was no HOA. Our appraiser couldn't even find comps in the neighborhood, all the homes are unique. I just don't want to be tied to a bunch of busy body strangers.
Well I'd tell those that might listen that CC&R's that are not enforced can be worse to property values then none at all and also mention that there's probably county/city codes that do just what they're advocating.
I would also predict that many who "say" they like the idea will balk when presented with a bill for making the changes and then a monthly fee for enforcement or that they'd have to turn on their neighbors in order to get a violation enforced. Most don't want to "anger" the people living next to them so who'd be enforcer?

If this really concerns you I'd find an RE attorney that gives a free 1st meeting and ask if they really can do this. I'm guessing it's a couple of internet attorneys who think it's possible. Time to find out for sure and your options of stopping it before it gets out of control.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
An HOA community can increase the value of your property as much as 20%, did you know that !!!

Communities that don't follow the HOA rules or they have management companies the don't enforce these rules loose as much as 40% property value, did you know that !!!

Most people that complain about the HOA are the ones that cause the most trouble !!!

If you don't like your community and the HOA, then move to the country !!!
You'd have to prove that to me. I live in a "hot" neighborhood. Houses have selling like hot cakes for several years. Why? Prime location, older neighborhood with mature trees, quiet....and NO HOA fees.

I'm looking for a new house. One of the considerations is (1) No HOA or the lowest HOA fee I can find; (2) Property taxes same as or lower than I now pay. Only THEN do I focus on neighborhood, amenities, nice house, etc.

HOA fees are just another tax, and like taxes, will only go UP UP UP. They are to pay for things I don't need or want and won't use: common areas with flowers, pools, clubhouses, playground. Seriously? I already pay city and county taxes for parks that have those things, if I want them.

From what I can tell, the HOAs are used for neighbors to whine and complain about other neighbors, as well as to keep undesirable people out.

I've never lived in single family house that had an HOA and never had much of a problem with neighbors doing trashy things.

I had an HOA when I lived in a condo years ago. It was an added expense that went to pay for things I didn't use, and it went UP every year. With a condo, you sort of need an HOA because of the setup there. But not with single family homes.

I think they're a racket by builders, but I haven't figured out how builders make money off of it. But I'm sure they do because THEY are the ones who now determine whether there's going to be an HOA. Not the homeowners.

People, quit buying those ginormous homes on tiny lots with HOA fees attached. LAND is what's valuable. Not buildings. And HOA fees are just another form of TAX.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:13 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I'm very fond of our HOA. Not everyone is suited to live in an HOA community, but we must be doing something right since neighborhood houses sell like hot cakes at a higher premium than surrounding neighborhoods without one.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
I hate HOA' s but I am not one to conform to rules just because you tell me I should.

Like if leaving the trash can on the porch instead of having to drag it around a block to the rear of the house, makes my life easier... That is what. I am doing. Send me all the letters you want. Or you come drag it around every trash day. But I am doing what works for me and my life.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I hate HOA' s but I am not one to conform to rules just because you tell me I should.

Like if leaving the trash can on the porch instead of having to drag it around a block to the rear of the house, makes my life easier... That is what. I am doing. Send me all the letters you want. Or you come drag it around every trash day. But I am doing what works for me and my life.
I thought of this thread while walking down my street back to work today. I passed a house that had a small couch on the porch and Christmas lights still up. I chuckled and kept walking.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post

My problem with mine is that everyone in my community wants SECURITY DOORS (i.e., the jail bar doors that look like a pawn shop) on their units. Yuck. While we are following the architectural review rules in our by-laws, I know I'm outnumbered. Even though we don't have a problem with crime, owners of the interior townhouses want them so that they can leave their front doors open and have better air circulation and more light. I just don't understand why they want the "jail bar" doors.

Oh well, such is life. But I can say that I knew what I was getting into prior to buying. I read the by-laws.

(yeah, I'm looking to sell and get out before the doors are installed)
Those doors are commonly only seen in lower class areas. Ironically, it isn't crime they're designed for, but privacy. They need light to see through, so if it's dark inside but bright outside, the person outside can't see you, but you can see them. They are definitely safer than insect screen types.

I am curious though if the neighbors realize that patio doors and windows are the most common entry points for burglars, not the front door?

Old 04-30-2015, 03:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,895 times
I've never bought or lived in an HOA, but I do work for an HOA management company.

Definitely will not buy or live in an HOA.

There are some benefits to owning property in an HOA such as increase in property value, good investment, and recreational amenities.

I've seen how some of these Boards conduct the meetings and address homeowners, their community manager and vendors. It's like Communist Cuba. You get on their bad side and they start coming up with ways to fine you until you move out.

Then you have these homeowners that are just as bad (if not worse) as the Board. One homeowner (from one of the high end communities in Scottsdale) demanded that I send a notice to her neighbor because he was masturbating furiously and loudly at night and was disrupting her sleep. Another homeowner called to complain that someone broke into his condo to take a dump, but never flushed the toilet. He had been in Wisconsin for about 3-4 months and came back to a little surprise. He accused me of breaking into his condo, but then he admitted that he left the key under the mat. When I questioned him why he would leave his key under the rug for 4 months, he got immediately defensive and hung up.

Personally, I don't want to pay for HOA fees on top of my mortgage and insurance. I want to be able to paint my home or plant a tree on my front yard without going through the Architectural Committee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate