Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:50 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,783,384 times

Advertisements

1. Because they won't let me park my cars on my yard

2. Because I couldn't have a clothes line in my front yard.

This is a satirical look at the HOA vs Non-HOA question. Others may have some good photos and humorous antidotes.

On the serious side, there are many non-HOA communities that are excellent communities, so I'm not knocking them. I just think we should have a little humor.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I Hate HOA-carsinyard.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Bill; 01-17-2008 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:55 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

This is a satirical look at the HOA vs Non-HOA question. Others may have some good photos and humorous antidotes.

On the serious side, there are many non-HOA communities that are excellent communities, so I'm not knocking them. I just think we should have a little humor.
You also forgot

3. Because they won't let me paint my house the color "turquoise"....

Old 01-17-2008, 09:12 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,324,554 times
I've got clients that insist "No HOA", so we go look at homes in the non-HOA subdivisions, and then they say:

1) "I can't believe somebody would paint their house fuschia!"
2) "I don't want to look at the humungous RV parked in the neighbor's driveway!"
3) "Wow! I didn't think that many yard ornaments would fit in one yard!"
4) "Does everybody around here have a project vehicle in their driveway?"

. . . "But, I don't want to live where there's an HOA."

What's a poor agent to do?

Last edited by Gretchen B; 01-17-2008 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: punc, typo

Old 01-17-2008, 09:16 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,603,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I've got clients that insist "No HOA", so we go look at homes in the non-HOA subdivisions, and then they say:

2) "I don't want to look at the humungous RV parked in the neighbor's driveway!"

lol....been there

Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:

LOL!!!
Funny thing is we can't do ANY of that in my city even if you live in an area without an HOA.
1. Color of house. Okay that one is tough. The city can't really say anything about that one but one city close by is trying to get something like that on their books.
2. Can't park RV's, Boats or trailers in driveways for longer than I believe 72 hours (could be 48). One city will not allow them at all in driveways. Our city you can have them parked on an improved surface (concrete drive) BUT it must be set back so far off the property line and hidden like behind a fence.
3. Yard Ornaments.... another the city really does not limit but they do limit the number of "signs" you can have in your yard.
4. ANY vehicle parked in a drive or visible MUST have a current registration tag and inspection.

As for the first post..... we can not park ANYTHING (car, trailer, boat, etc) in the yard. It MUST be on an improved surface.
We have a neighbor that has a front entry j-swing because they back up to the golf course. They would raise their garage door and have a line going across it with their laundry hung there to dry. And I mean the undies and all. Haven't seen them do that in awhile as I think they got A LOT of complaints as they were on the main street thru our neighborhood.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:06 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,273,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

OMG, this is a timely thread for us. We are planning to buy here real
soon and both places we are interested in are HOA communities. Actually
your post has confirmed why I wont mind living in one. Our former neighbor
was a collector,and I dont mean that in a positive way!

Greenchili

Old 01-17-2008, 12:10 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,215,465 times
There was a cantankerous old man who lived in a very nice house - actually one of the models - in a very nice HOA. His hobby was elderly Chryslers. The HOA had all the rules about parking unregistered vehicles and working on vehiicles and all that.

Old man ignored all that. Parked on the grass. Parked out front. Worked on them anywhere.

HOA fined him the max...which was like $900 a month all up all in. He would just pay it. Went on for years. He finally went into a nursing home. Then the Chryslers went away.

So even the HOA does not work with cantakerous rich people.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:

Whats a poor agent to do you ask?

Why that's simple: Ok my dear clients, lets go look at the next house.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Captian Bill: You know I always respect your opinions as I have complimented you several times in the past. Im not sure if you are pro or con on these communist government wanabe agencys.

My come back is always that who needs an HOA? Every city has zoning laws. If the neighbor parks his junk box outside on the lawn then one call to zoning usually does the trick. Why do we need yet another agency that happens to be more powerfull with more pull and clout then the Federal Government to tell us how to run OUR homes?

There are more horror stories of HOA abuse that it might be a good idea to start a new post with HOA horror stories only.

Look....our fathers and our father's fathers fought wars and shed blood for our freedoms in this country. Freedoms that say that we have the right to own, exist and enjoy our legally purchased property and enjoy natures bounty that it provides. Yet you have some fake good-ol-boys club who charges you up the ying yang to tell you that you can not plant pink roses but red is ok.

These communist organizations not only promote communism but they encourage it.

I hear of some HOAs charging several hundred dollars a month to several thousand for those hot shot high rises. For what? What do you get for your money? A radio controlled gate? Even todays athletic incompetent kids can jump right over that. A guard gate armed with a fake keystone cop wanabe? That must make your visitors really impressed. A phony $8/hr cop doing radar and giving out hundred dollar tickets all day for just one MPH over the artificially low NON DOT approved speed limits? What about the grass police. Yes the larger HOA communities have grass police. The drive and walk lawn to lawn measuring the grass. If it is just over the limit you get a 24 hour warning to cut it or else.

Now we all know every HOA community has the little old lady who has nothing in her whole life to do. They carry an HOA rule book and they carry around a milk crate so they can stand on it and look over peoples back yard walls to see if they are growing anything illegal like pink roses or God forbid some broccoli or tomato plants. That will be an instant $900 fine and the little ol lady turns people in all day long like that.

Sorry I am almost all alone here but I still try to remember what America used to be like and fight the system. The system is wrong and might is not always right. And I will continue to fight it to the death. Damn commies !

Old 01-17-2008, 01:34 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,910 times
Actually desertsun, the system works. We have a choice to live in an area without an HOA or live in one with an HOA. I've lived in five houses over the past thirty-five years. Four of those houses and twenty nine of those years have been in developments with HOAs. I have never had a problem with any of them. That doesn't mean there are not bad ones out there. However, before I buy a house I do my due diligence on the HOA in terms of it's effectiveness, it's response to it's members, and it success in meeting it's overall mission.
I personally like developments that have well run and effective HOAs. Property values do well and the area is well maintained, attractive, and safe.
If no HOAs were allowed then we really wouldn't have a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate