Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 AM

153 posts, read 194,762 times

Advertisements

If it needed all this work done, and you did not have it priced to reflect that, then of course people are going to complain. All this work should have been done before you put it on the market, or priced "as is". Yes, most of the stuff you listed are cosmetic things, but those are the only things a buyer see's when touring... so to them, its a sign that other things they can not see are probably wrong too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Have you gotten some great pictures taken and posted on MLS? Your other thread doesn't say the agent has done that yet. Have you repainted the Pepto Bismol Pink room yet?

Your house was not sell ready at the time you listed it, which might be why the agent didn't take photos. For every item on your "honey-do" list, you need to reduce the price below the comps that don't need those items done.

I disagree that a vacant house sells for less, but I agree that it shows every flaw. So if the house was in great shape, being vacant isn't much of a problem. I have an easier time picturing my own stuff in a vacant house than I do looking past someone else's stuff. There are many people like me. But if the house needs work, that is all someone will see when it is vacant.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:10 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If you don't live there, why does it matter?
Because the address leads you to my name, which leads to my personal life and that is not something I advertise.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
but do you have a good seller's realtor?

PS - I agree with you not showing the exact listing. If you took the photos, you might be able to share them. But if you took the photos, that's probably part of your problem anyway.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SeanWalker- View Post
If it needed all this work done, and you did not have it priced to reflect that, then of course people are going to complain. All this work should have been done before you put it on the market, or priced "as is". Yes, most of the stuff you listed are cosmetic things, but those are the only things a buyer see's when touring... so to them, its a sign that other things they can not see are probably wrong too.
It is priced to reflect that it needs paint and carpet. Initially I had it listed at the same price as a comp sold for and listed a paint and carpet credit. Then I took that out and just dropped the price.

The hvac system, hot water heater were all replaced a few years ago so they are new. Garbage disposal was replaced last spring.

What else is there? It is a basic house. No security system.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Have you gotten some great pictures taken and posted on MLS? Your other thread doesn't say the agent has done that yet. Have you repainted the Pepto Bismol Pink room yet?

Your house was not sell ready at the time you listed it, which might be why the agent didn't take photos. For every item on your "honey-do" list, you need to reduce the price below the comps that don't need those items done.

I disagree that a vacant house sells for less, but I agree that it shows every flaw. So if the house was in great shape, being vacant isn't much of a problem. I have an easier time picturing my own stuff in a vacant house than I do looking past someone else's stuff. There are many people like me. But if the house needs work, that is all someone will see when it is vacant.
No she has not taken pictures. I have a friend painting when he has time and she is waiting for him to paint the bedrooms, which I have explained that I am at the mercy of his schedule. I have done things that I can do, like mulch. Tonight I am painting the deck and cleaning carpets again.

I tend to always buy vacant houses myself. And I am not nearly as picky as most buyers. My newest one did not even have running water or heat in half the house at settlement.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:56 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Apparently you need to wait for another buyer who is as unpicky as you. Given that there is a lot of inventory and that you aren't seeing any appreciation on what you paid, you are clearly in a buyer's market and therefore, you may be waiting for a while. Keep doing as much work as you can, because the better condition, the more likely you will see an offer.

Don't forget to take carrying costs into account when thinking about your drop dead pricing.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Apparently you need to wait for another buyer who is as unpicky as you. Given that there is a lot of inventory and that you aren't seeing any appreciation on what you paid, you are clearly in a buyer's market and therefore, you may be waiting for a while. Keep doing as much work as you can, because the better condition, the more likely you will see an offer.

Don't forget to take carrying costs into account when thinking about your drop dead pricing.
Inventory is actually quite low. There is only 5 townhouses for sale in the zipcode. (Total of 6,500 houses in zipcode). The market has dropped significantly since 2008. I am just glad I bought it cheap. The exact house next door was $249k the same week I paid $218k. They are really going to be losing if they sell this year.

I am plugging along with projects as I can.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
5 townhouses currently listed in area. Mine is listed at $117 per sq/ft. The rest are listed at $145k- $163
I was going by this. If they are not in your complex, you may have to adjust to use them as comps. (Not that price per sq ft is a great way to comp anyway, but even as a ball park). Age and size of the complex, amenities, location, quality of finishes, landscaping, etc., etc., etc. You may still be comparing apples and oranges even with a lower price per sq ft.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Is this the townhouse with the purple kitchen cabinets? Seriously, there's one of those on here. Can't imagine why there's not a line out the door for that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate