Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 10:30 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been mentioned but get a microwave that will fit above the stove. You might be able to get a good price on granite since you wouldn't need a lot of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 05:01 AM

3 posts, read 2,221 times
Hi

Haven't read the whole thread but I would strongly suggest (rather than buying or changing anything else) spending money on an ARCHITECT to draw up some plans showing various options for how the kitchen could be modified with respect to the staircase and dining room. Depending on where the supports for the staircase are, Perhaps the doorway where the microwave is can be widened into an archway (or the other doorway by back door). perhaps the entire dining room can be modified and/or built out. People might be more comfortable buying "as is" for your original price and if they knew the possibilities for a new layout AND how much it would cost.

I agree with the others - the kitchen isn't small, it's really poorly designed. The fridge is so far away from the counter.

I think I might turn that part where the back door and fridge are into a storage/pantry or mud room. The dining room is a much better space for a kitchen. Might look to cut it in half or build out.

The kitchen is VERY uncomfortable looking. I think you have to put yourself in other people's shoes. You prefer separated spaces. It looks more like a kitchen for a cook, or a dedicated homemaker, who prefers to work alone and serve people in the dining room. Remember that a lot of families use the kitchen as a meeting space. Different people might be helping to prepare a meal
However if you really do have an old farmhouse it might be favoured by families. I can't imagine cooking and trying to watch children in that kitchen. There's nowhere for little Billy to work on projects while parent cooks. Ditto for dogs/pets. It seems really isolating. I love to cook and have used much smaller kitchens but the proximity of oven and sink is just freaky.

Are you sure the kitchen was laid out in that manner in the original floor plan?

Also agree that the window is the best thing about the kitchen. I have lived in a house where a countertop went right across a window and that was no big deal

The position and orientation of the fridge is also strange. I would also suspect that the kitchen

Moving the microwave to a cart (or a smaller one on a cart) in front of window is a great idea. You could install over the stove but that probably is too much expense and still won't overcome the issues.

ODD I was so intrigued by this I actually registered to respond.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
That looks like a fairly wide window (nice) Don't let anyone talk you into reducing the size of it!!

Has anyone suggested bumping out the kitchen window into a bay window? It would make the kitchen feel roomier. You could have high windows and low, cushioned benches underneath, that also double as storage.

Either that, or extend the counter into the bay window for plants, utencils, etc. Under the counter, you could put open shelving or cuboards to store the microwave underneath the bump out.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:23 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
DO NOT do construction on your house. It is spending money that is not going to be reflected in the sales price. Changing up some inexpensive items to make things look better, appear roomier and play up the charm of the house is great. Doing major remodeling projects to sell a house is a fool's game, particular one that is already updated and just has some quirks. Taking the microwave down makes a dramatic visual impression of more space. A few additional touches like shelving will increase storage and make it look more appealing. But don't spend more than a few hundred dollars because it's not a good investment.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:47 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,528,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb ee View Post

Are you sure the kitchen was laid out in that manner in the original floor plan?

Of course not! Don't forget, typical kitchens of this era were usually centrally located because the stove for cooking was also a source of heat. Appliances didn't become popular until the 30's and 40's in a lot of the country. So modern kitchens adapted to the space, not always efficient. I agree, an architect could provide insight of how to remodel for the designs of today. But, it probably isn't going to be worth the cost to this seller, nor fit into their timeframe.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:10 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
I'd personally hate it.. I like big roomy kitchens, more square than rectangular in design.

I suggest:

1. Get rid of the microwave totally. Cook on your stove and store that somewhere else.

2. Take down those knives and the paper towel holder from the walls. All walls should be CLEAR! The hanging knives make the place look very uninviting. Subconsciously, it gives the viewer a sense of unwelcome and even cold harshness. No knives should be hanging around.

3. Remove the knives from the counters and take all things out from that open shelving area. Put only a small, trendy flower arrangement or even nothing at all in the shelving area. It makes things look more cluttered and less 'personal' to the the viewer. Looking at the stuff on the shelves, it makes me feel like that is YOUR home.. not MY potential new home.

Remember: its better that the place is empty than cluttered with your things while showing a house.

3. Redo the floor grouts. The grout looks black and dirty (I know its made that way) the grouts in the floor would look a million better if it were white. Buy some new grout, or even floor paint and go over the lines in the floors to brighten the place up and make it look cleaner.

4. Get a new exhaust vent cover that looks more modern and trendy.

5. That electrical outlet down by the floor - by the shelves? Change it out to typical outlet and have it painted to match your wall identically. It jumps out at you and looks rather tacky down there.

These are simple steps and would go a long way in making the kitchen look more inviting and pleasing...

Although to me, I would have to kindly walk out if I were in the market for a home. Like I said earlier, a big open kitchen is a MUST for me!!! I like lots of space and table/bar area to entertain in my kitchen. These steps would help a lot though.. best luck.

Last edited by G0DDESS; 05-13-2015 at 08:20 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 08:32 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Here's a thought---how about a window seat under the window? Perhaps cover the window seat with some sort of bright, bold fabric and/or toss pillows. It makes it look like there's room to spare!
I like this idea. A bench, maybe even a wooden bench, with a couple of cute, colorful throw pillows.

And get a stainless stand up paper towel holder, put it on a pantry shelf or on the counter.

I also like the idea of a couple of potted herbs and small flower arrangement on a counter for the showings.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:35 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb ee View Post
I am going to guess that the stairs to the basement were not original to the house and when they were added, the space for them was taken from the kitchen.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:36 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am going to guess that the stairs to the basement were not original to the house and when they were added, the space for them was taken from the kitchen.
Possibly, but the stairs to the 2nd floor are also in that same spot, and I think it was always a 2 story

Old 05-13-2015, 08:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
DO NOT do construction on your house. It is spending money that is not going to be reflected in the sales price. Changing up some inexpensive items to make things look better, appear roomier and play up the charm of the house is great. Doing major remodeling projects to sell a house is a fool's game, particular one that is already updated and just has some quirks. Taking the microwave down makes a dramatic visual impression of more space. A few additional touches like shelving will increase storage and make it look more appealing. But don't spend more than a few hundred dollars because it's not a good investment.
I agree with this. There is a lot that could be done without spending much that could improve this space. A couple of open shelves above the sink, a few pictures on the wall where the paper towel holder is currently. A café curtain on the window. Maybe a vase of flowers on the counter and that's it. One other thing that could be worthwhile would be to add a farmhouse style pendant above the sink. It would probably take an electrician a few hours to do that and it would add functionality as well as some style but that may even be stretching the amount of work worth doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate