Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 03:36 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,273,662 times

Advertisements

YES.. She was voted in she can be voted OUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Ummm, you're not in a paid position, right? So what is she going to do? If it were me, I'd call her out at your next HOA meeting and ask some of the members if they want the board president to have full authority for the community. HOA's are not dictatorships, if someone gets elected to the board and lets the title go to their head, its up to the members to put them in their place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
This is a public forum, not a beloved HOA where everything is regulated so posters don't have to follow HOA rules here.
I'm guessing that statement made prefect sense to you......?

Old 06-15-2015, 03:57 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I'm guessing that statement made prefect sense to you......?
"prefect"??
what is that?

Old 06-15-2015, 04:06 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
Ummm, you're not in a paid position, right? So what is she going to do? If it were me, I'd call her out at your next HOA meeting and ask some of the members if they want the board president to have full authority for the community. HOA's are not dictatorships, if someone gets elected to the board and lets the title go to their head, its up to the members to put them in their place.
And what is it you feel this HOA President did that warrants putting her in her place? She failed to respond quickly enough to a resident who failed to keep her dog properly contained?

Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
Anyone have any hard evidence that an HOA actually increases property value by 40% as one poster mentioned?
The figures mentioned were a 40% decrease in value and a 20% increase in value. When you combine those two figures, you get a net decrease.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:49 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
We are VERY happy with it, other than the fact we kind of wish it was anywhere from 5 to 20 acres instead of the 1 2/3 we have. More room, and more distance between neighbors would be wonderful.
One problem with having so much space between neighbors is that you become more vulnerable to home invasion crimes, because the neighbors are less likely to see. If there are trees giving you privacy, the same trees give the criminals privacy, and make them more likely to choose your home to invade.

Having guns doesn't really solve the problem, because the criminals are likely to steal the guns and use them against you. Using an alarm system while at home causes an alarming number of false alarms.

Our whole criminal justice system is based on the idea that criminals should spend just enough time in prison for it to be crime university where they learn how to become hardened criminals with advanced crime techniques, then release them to practice their trade on helpless victims. A much better system would be to make all minor crimes civil instead of criminal, with no prison time but just mild-to-harsh civil penalties, and make the sentence for all major crimes life in prison, such that nobody who attended crime university would ever get out. Then you could get your 20 acre home and live in peace.

Meanwhile, as a compromise, don't buy a 20 acre home unless you can afford an expensive security system, which includes a tall strong fence all around the property, a gate that doesn't let anyone in who isn't invited, and a lot of dogs. But if it goes wrong, and turns against you, you might not be able to go home. And if the dogs turn against you, you will wish you bought a condo.

Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Someone please tell me why any organization should have control over what color I can paint my front door.
Let's say I live across from you and your door is painted Pepto Bismol pink and visible from my living room and upstairs bedroom window. If polled on the subject, I may not personally care what color you paint your door. But someday, I'm going to put my house up for sale, and when that happens, your door is going to be an eyesore that causes some buyers to look elsewhere.

I don't want to confront you about your eclectic taste in door colors, so I'd rather live within a community with rules that keep me and my neighbors from turning parts of our homes into eyesores.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:34 PM
eok

The problem with HOA's is that they aren't just for enforcing rules. They're for making new rules, harassing people, giving power to busybodies, etc. If they were just for enforcing rules, and did nothing else, the only complaint would be that they wouldn't enforce the rules equally, but would favor some members over others. But, because they do all that other stuff, the complaints are much worse, and often well-founded.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The problem with HOA's is that they aren't just for enforcing rules. They're for making new rules, harassing people, giving power to busybodies, etc. If they were just for enforcing rules, and did nothing else, the only complaint would be that they wouldn't enforce the rules equally, but would favor some members over others. But, because they do all that other stuff, the complaints are much worse, and often well-founded.
Is that the way your HOA Board of Directors works? They just randomly change the rules however they please? Around here, any change to the CC&Rs requires a quorum of 60% and a majority of 67%. It's like turning a cruise ship; it takes a great deal of effort. But back to a point I made earlier, the primary role of an HOA Board of Directors is fiduciary. Unfortunately, it seems that many posting to this thread think it's all about the color of your front door and where to store your garbage cans. It makes me wonder if any of you have ever actually attended an HOA meeting.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-15-2015 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 06-15-2015, 09:00 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Once again someone (you) has completely missed the point of an HOA !!!!

An HOA community can increase the value of your property as much as 20%, did you know that !!!

Communities that don't follow the HOA rules or they have management companies the don't enforce these rules loose as much as 40% property value, did you know that !!!
What??? Give me specifics. What markets? Where do you get your numbers? I am an executive at a global single family residential company and we definitely haven't seen anything that would support such a strong statement. While an HOA can be nice, it definitely isn't something that everyone values or desires. When I purchased my home I specifically excluded all neighborhoods with HOAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate