Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,007 times

Advertisements

By the way, real hardwood is always stained and coated with polyurethane or some kind of finish. That stuff can off gas for years supposedly. So maybe you get pre finished hoping that it's been sitting in a warehouse for 5 years? But it probably hasn't. Point being you aren't going to be able to exist in todays world without being exposed to chemicals. You just have to be smart about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,669,146 times
Organic cars. I think you might be on to something big......

Old 06-24-2015, 08:10 AM

43,356 posts, read 77,229,425 times
It is best to stop thinking, too.
Generates too much CO. Cranial Ozone. That stuff is NASTY!

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Organic cars. I think you might be on to something big......
It could be huge, and carmakers would love it. Especially since organic in a lot of cases is a meaningless marketing term. Using the mattress example someone posted earlier, a lot of "organic" mattresses still contain chemicals. They are technically still organic because the cotton they use is organic, but they are by no means free from fire retardants. I ran into this searching for a mattress for my newborn. You can find ones made without chemicals but you have to dig deeper. And probably the mattress will come from a non-US company.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:01 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,630,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Don't people realize this is just some cheap compressed particle board loaded with toxic cancer causing chemicals? And any contact with water turns it into complete garbage.

I see listings which list laminate flooring as an "upgrade". Really? Wtf are these people smoking. Any properties with laminates should be devalued by 20k.

Theres even a huge scandal with laminates provided by Lumber Liquidators over mislabeled laminates claiming to pass CA strict air quality control measures.

I actually perfer carpets over laminates. Why put your health at risk? Quit being cheap.
I have a cat and would much prefer laminate over carpet. I didn't realize it was toxic though. That's not good.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,855,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Some of the laminates are actually so good looking you can't really tell them from hardwood, especially the thicker 10-12mm.
Exactly, everyone thinks mine are real wood.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,508,787 times
Quote:
Name one laminates not made with cheap saw dust not held together with toxic glue. It's called laminates for a reason.

And if there such a thing as an expensive, non toxic laminates, you have to be an idiot to choose that over wood.
Ok, so if someone chooses something that you don't care for, they're an idiot.

I've written you off with that statement.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:44 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,078,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Ok, so if someone chooses something that you don't care for, they're an idiot.

I've written you off with that statement.
Why pay for expensive laminates (if there is such a thing) when you can get real wood?

Still waiting for a list of Laminates not made of compressed saw dust glued together with toxic formaldehyde.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:15 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,757,053 times
Quote:
Why pay for expensive laminates (if there is such a thing) when you can get real wood?

Still waiting for a list of Laminates not made of compressed saw dust glued together with toxic formaldehyde.
The bolded borders on snobbish.

Think outside your box for a minute...

Many people with pets and small children prefer the laminate because it is low maintenance, doesn't scratch from moving furniture, dogs and cats paws, big Tonka trucks kids playing on.

My friend has had laminate for quite a few years, she has two giant schnauzers, one who thinks he is going to dig a hole to China and not one SCRATCH...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate