Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times

Advertisements

Is it a bad idea to buy a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath townhouse for $200K, when if you pay $30K more, you can get a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath or even 2 bath townhouse?

The question comes to future resale value and ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:14 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
A few issues.

First, the easiest...ease.

Depending on the number of occupants...if it's more than one, definitely more than two, it's always easier to have 2 bathrooms. Especially if there is vision toward two or more people getting ready for work at the same time. Or for two single people living in the townhouse, one owning, one renting.

That said, some people who rent the home out, who like to keep an eye on overcrowding, love the fewer bedrooms and fewer bathroom facilities because that means the occupancy has to legally be lower. So there is the law on their side.

I'm thinking if you have a 1 1/2 bath option it is either an older home or in a smaller city/town. So you'd want to consider the norm of the area. I know a lot of people who grew up with, and now their kids still have, fewer bedrooms and bathrooms than their counterparts surrounding larger cities. Now, go into the cities and the units can be smaller just because of age, custom, lack of space.

Resale...again, what's the norm in your area? Have you asked a good realtor in your area these questions?

Sometimes people are surprised at how little a hike in sales price adds to their monthly payment. Depends on how you feel about it. For example, $30,000 loan for 30 years at 4% in round numbers would be about $140 a month.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
I am single now, so a 2 bedrooms/1.5 bath is more than enough for me and even space for out of town visitors. My question is, whether or not the $30K extra is worth it considering the future resale value and my potential future need to add 1 bedroom/1 bathroom.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:27 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
I think it would be worth it to move up. Resale is the biggest factor, three bedroom is much more desirable than two. Bedrooms have a law of diminishing returns that starts around 5. There is a huge difference between a 2/3 bed but not so much between a 12/13 bed.

Lots of people these days work from home. They want a bedroom to make into an office. Three br gives them a bedroom, a guest bedroom and an office.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:53 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
A 3/2 is definitely worth more down the line! While a 2/1.5 is good for a single person or a couple, having a 3/2 will widen the pool of buyers to also include couples with one or more kids. More full baths is definitely a plus. I followed my own advice years ago when I purchased my first condo in NYC. I purchased a 2 bedroom plus closed off den that could be turned into a third bedroom with 2 full bathrooms, one of which was en-suite. It was more expensive but more than made up for it at resale. I got multiple offers on the first day of showing.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Spend the extra to get the 3/2. More options for later

Old 07-31-2015, 04:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
If it is a single level, older retired couples will be a huge part of your resale market, and many of them will be fine with a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath.

If it is a 2 story, then I'd definitely go for the 3rd bedroom.

I'm in a 2 bedroom townhouse, but it does have a separate small office room as well, so it is really a 2+, and it has 2 full baths. Honestly, I'd almost rather it was a 1.5 bath. In the 12 years I've lived there, I think we've used the second shower once. Just something else to clean. But I'm sure it will help for resale.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:50 PM

5,048 posts, read 9,614,434 times
As Lacerta indicates. Depends on your area for one thing. You really need a good solid realtor in your area. When you are talking about resale value, you are not talking about your being single. You are talking about the demographics of your immediate area. And the comparative property values among the various size homes if there is a great variety of sizes.

In areas I'm familiar with there are 2/ 1 1/2 or 2/1 here and there for singles or couples starting out and staying near family. Or the same for students or elderly. Someone always wants or needs the smaller units so why bother growing them bigger in those areas.

Elsewhere, pretty much every home has been upgraded to somehow adding on at least that second bathroom if not a third bedroom.

Some places the size is secondary to the terrific location. Some places have been discovered by creative people and eventually all the smaller places are upgraded in some manner.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:51 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
The important question, can you afford the 3/2?

Old 07-31-2015, 08:45 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
IMO, the # of baths is more important than the # of bedrooms. When I bought a condo, and then a house, I had a "must have" list and a "wish" list. For both, I had 2 bathrooms on the "must have" list. Nonnegotiable.

Look at who buys the townhomes in your area: older couples, or young couples with kids. The older couples might go for a 2/1.5, but a young couple with kids needs 2 baths, for sure.

In both, most people, I think, need a space for office or computer work. A place to put the modem, the desktop computers, office supplies, etc. This can be put into a closet, actually, if there are a lot of closets.

3/2 is the norm for single standing homes. I think it's more acceptable to go down in bedroom count in townhomes, though. I COULD make do with 1 1/2 baths, but I'd prefer not. I want my own bath that I don't have to share with overnight guests, who need a place to shower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate