Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 PM

196 posts, read 649,057 times

Advertisements

I entered into a contract to buy a home, after the inspection I found a vast number of issues which made me want to cancel the contract. My attorney sent them the list of issues and they have said they will fix all of the issues. He tells me they are trying to hold me to the contract and I may have a 'fight on my hands'.

I am not familiar with housing codes and cannot recognize certain things that were brought to my attention during the inspection. I don't quite understand how the seller is going to address these items and in what time frame he will be allotted to address all of them. Additionally most of the work in the home was not done up to 'code', so I am concerned that whoever he hires to do these repairs will not do a competent job just like the other work that was done. There are also other items the inspector was not able to inspect because he did not have access due to the shoddy work done in the home.

What is typical for these type of disagreements? At this point i'm feeling like i'm being forced to buy this house that I no longer want
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM

128 posts, read 152,152 times
So am I understanding you correctly that the re-inspection has already taken place by the same inspector?

Was it the inspector, during the re-inspection that documented the repairs were not done to code?

What state are you in so we can get you some specific help from those in that state. State laws are all a bit different.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:54 PM

196 posts, read 649,057 times
No I just had the first inspection done last week and today the seller is saying that will address all of the issues which include replacement of roof, boiler, issues with mold, asbestos, etc.

After the inspection there are other underlying issues with the home that just make me uncomfortable with the house and I just do not want it anymore.

So far i have not given any deposit besides the 1k deposit to realtor, what can happen if i just refuse to go through with the deal?

I am in NJ

Old 08-06-2015, 04:07 PM

128 posts, read 152,152 times
We have some really good Real Estate professionals from NJ here (I'm in NV, sorry.)

What has your Realtor said about this? I would think that this would be an easy question for your Agent to answer.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
If I recall correctly you have three days after inspection to cancel. What did your agent or lawyer advise?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:08 PM

10,359 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Did you put a contingency in your offer stating that the offer was conditional upon your approval of the results of the home inspection? If you did, the sellers CAN'T hold you to your offer, as you have a built-in escape clause.

If you did not, you can probably still revoke your offer, but you'll lose your earnest money. Talk to a good real estate attorney.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:47 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
You mention your attorney. He should be ideal to answer these questions.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:10 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
If you have inspection contingency in your purchasing agreement, why would you have a fight in your hand?

Old 08-06-2015, 06:25 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus030 View Post
No I just had the first inspection done last week and today the seller is saying that will address all of the issues which include replacement of roof, boiler, issues with mold, asbestos, etc.

After the inspection there are other underlying issues with the home that just make me uncomfortable with the house and I just do not want it anymore.

So far i have not given any deposit besides the 1k deposit to realtor, what can happen if i just refuse to go through with the deal?

I am in NJ
Those items are so extensive this house must be a piece of crap. I suggest you run away even if it costs $1K

Old 10-06-2015, 11:20 PM

26 posts, read 29,488 times
All these type of agreements are really annoying. You should not buy this house .Run away from all these issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate