Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,409,172 times

Advertisements

Point #1: I have young daughters and I wouldn't let this stop me. The sex offender registry is probably one of the worst concepts in the crime & punishment world. It means nothing in your day-to-day life.

Additionally, since so many crimes count as sex crimes, you'll find registered sex offenders all over the place.

I'm not defending sex offenders, but I've participated in the writing of a research paper on the topic and have read many more, and the conclusions are all the same- that the whole concept is antiquated and poorly implemented. We don't make murderers, thieves, and drug addicts register, yet the recidivism rate for those crimes is orders of magnitude higher than for all of the crimes we lump together as "sex crimes". The registry was put into place as a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of high-profile recidivism cases during a year where hundreds of people were murdered by second-time offenders without any public outcry.

It's too bad you missed out on a good house for such a non-issue.

Point #2: Ignore all the realtors here trying to convince you to use a different realtor. Buying agents do almost nothing in the transaction. My usual advice is to represent yourself (not dual agency, but no agent at all); however, here you are getting a 1% discount on the price of a home. Really a win-win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 AM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Point #1: I have young daughters and I wouldn't let this stop me. The sex offender registry is probably one of the worst concepts in the crime & punishment world. It means nothing in your day-to-day life.

Additionally, since so many crimes count as sex crimes, you'll find registered sex offenders all over the place.

I'm not defending sex offenders, but I've participated in the writing of a research paper on the topic and have read many more, and the conclusions are all the same- that the whole concept is antiquated and poorly implemented. We don't make murderers, thieves, and drug addicts register, yet the recidivism rate for those crimes is orders of magnitude higher than for all of the crimes we lump together as "sex crimes". The registry was put into place as a knee-jerk reaction to a couple of high-profile recidivism cases during a year where hundreds of people were murdered by second-time offenders without any public outcry.

Point #2: Ignore all the realtors here trying to convince you to use a different realtor. Buying agents do almost nothing in the transaction. My usual advice is to represent yourself (not dual agency, but no agent at all); however, here you are getting a 1% discount on the price of a home. Really a win-win.
Well, the droll second point undermines the credibility of the interesting first point.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:30 AM

686 posts, read 725,435 times
Quote:

I think someone here is on that list or knows someone who is....no sane person with children will buy a home next door to a molester.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 AM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times
Quote:

Pointb#1 Why am I betting you're a social worker who works with sex offenders? (Or some related profession.)

Point #2 Why am I sure you overpaid for your last house?

Old 09-03-2015, 10:00 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,409,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Pointb#1 Why am I betting you're a social worker who works with sex offenders? (Or some related profession.)

Point #2 Why am I sure you overpaid for your last house?
Regarding point #1, I am an attorney in corporate practice, but I conducted my research in connection with a couple of criminal law classes I was taking during law school. My paper wasn't the interesting point, it was the many papers I read that were penned by experts in punishment methodology and effectiveness. My paper was really just a collection of those papers with insignificant commentary of my own (i.e. a typical student paper).

As far as point #2, my day to day life involves negotiations in the hundreds of millions of dollars in my work with private equity clients. I like to think that gives me at least as much experience in negotiating transactions, if not more, than someone who passed a realtor certificate course that they bought on groupon.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:

As far as point #2, my day to day life involves negotiations in the hundreds of millions of dollars in my work with private equity clients. I like to think that gives me at least as much experience in negotiating transactions, if not more, than someone who passed a realtor certificate course that they bought on groupon.
Actually, Point #2, and your follow up above are a disservice to the OP, whereas you are not offering the value of your purported experience, just your obvious attitude.
I have a note in my email just now from a respectable attorney who would not toss out a sophomoric anonymous cheap shot that might hurt a consumer merely to troll on agents like you prefer to do.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:19 PM

8,577 posts, read 12,445,942 times
Quote:
My usual advice is to represent yourself (not dual agency, but no agent at all);
Interesting. Do you give the same advice to those with a legal problem? Since you're an attorney, I would think that you'd understand that some people benefit from having representation, particularly in such a major transaction.

Of course, not all agents are the same. Most of the lawyers I've had contact with know little about real estate or real estate law...so it's important for someone to select an experienced real estate attorney when the need arises. It's the same with real estate agents--we're not all created equal. It's important for someone to select an experienced and knowledgeable agent.

A person is free to go it alone--either when dealing in law or in real estate...but that is not always advisable, nor should it be a casual recommendation.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:48 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,964,057 times
I'd like some opinions about something that just happened to me today. I am baffled.

If a buyer looks at a property and wants to make an offer, would you drive away? I said I wanted to make an offer on a property and the realtor said she didn't have time because it takes at least 2 hours to complete the paperwork. I said I'd meet her in her office at 9 tomorrow, but she has an open house. I looked it up online and it's from 11:30 to 1:30.

What's going on?

Last edited by justNancy; 09-14-2015 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: edit - post much too long.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,956,920 times
Justnancy, This is not good. You can call her broker and request a F/T commited Agent. There is a code of ethics and she is not living up to it. If not, find a new "buyers" agent, not listing agent or anyone from the listing agents office. I am under contract now, just finished home inspection on a condo, but I have a primary home. Some Agents will stall to see if a higher or more offers come in. You wait and could lose the home.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'd like some opinions about something that just happened to me today. I am baffled.

If a buyer looks at a property and wants to make an offer, would you drive away? I said I wanted to make an offer on a property and the realtor said she didn't have time because it takes at least 2 hours to complete the paperwork. I said I'd meet her in her office at 9 tomorrow, but she has an open house. I looked it up online and it's from 11:30 to 1:30.

What's going on?
Is this your buyer's agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate