Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,947,046 times

Advertisements

I read them. Like others stated, I look for things like room descriptions (i.e. finished basement) and specifics about the age of things like the roof or furnace (i.e. roof replaced in 2013 ). I also pay attention when the description says "needs TLC". I don't pay much attention to other descriptors.

Regarding overuse of words, exclamation points, etc.....just doesn't bother me. I want an agent to be competent at facilitating the sale, I'm more forgiving of grammatical errors or overuse of certain phrases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 03:05 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
I wish descriptions would include things that are not mentioned in the list of rooms.

School district, walk-in pantry, updated kitchen, hardwood floors... these are more important to me than a list of the rooms or phrases like "fabulous upscale home in desirable neighborhood!"

Old 09-07-2015, 06:53 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
And then there are the ever so helpful words like HURRY, WON'T LAST!!! Or "Seller says Sell!" Especially if the place is a dump.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 AM

914 posts, read 1,139,735 times
I actually like phrases like "motivated seller" because that means potential low ball offers accepted.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:05 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twodoor2 View Post
I actually like phrases like "motivated seller" because that means potential low ball offers accepted.
Perhaps, but 99% of sellers could be called motivated. Otherwise why subject themselves to the upheaval of cleaning, repairing, packing?

Old 09-07-2015, 02:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Another gripe with realtors on this one, lol. The grammar is often terrible, the wrong words capitalized, and sometimes the description stops in the middle of a sentence. The description should tell what the photos do not, as in a newspaper photo. What is the point of a caption telling exactly what is apparent in the photo? The description is well used for stating what is walkable, if anything, and what the nearby amenities are.

When I sold my own home we created a blog for it, showing not only great pictures of the house but the surrounding streets, the walkup mountain close by, the fields and streams, bike path, and locally famous small meat market in town. We created interesting commentary around that. People are not just buying a property, they are buying what is around it. It's important not to employ hyberbole, however. Greatest, best, sweetest, fantastic, etc.

That said, it's a turnoff to do an online drive-by and find out the property is on the corner of a highway or across the street from an air strip or near a military base. Those things should be disclosed up front in the listing, to save both the looker who might object and the agent from wasting time, and the seller from having to clean the place before the showing. It is NOT easy for the seller to have to clean the place top to bottom with every single showing. The listing agent sure doesn't do that (and shouldn't have to).

Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Perhaps, but 99% of sellers could be called motivated. Otherwise why subject themselves to the upheaval of cleaning, repairing, packing?
They're not motivated enough when you bargain price with them however.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:58 PM

170 posts, read 223,030 times
I review 20-30 listings everyday(work) I look @ pics 1st and read comments maybe 10% of the time..
pics say 1000 words..

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
That said, it's a turnoff to do an online drive-by and find out the property is on the corner of a highway or across the street from an air strip or near a military base. Those things should be disclosed up front in the listing, to save both the looker who might object and the agent from wasting time
That's why Google Earth is so handy. It's helped me avoid many potential drive-bys.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:25 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,468,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
That said, it's a turnoff to do an online drive-by and find out the property is on the corner of a highway or across the street from an air strip or near a military base. Those things should be disclosed up front in the listing, to save both the looker who might object and the agent from wasting time, and the seller from having to clean the place before the showing. It is NOT easy for the seller to have to clean the place top to bottom with every single showing. The listing agent sure doesn't do that (and shouldn't have to).
All you need is the street address to Google-walk all the streets nearby, to get a street view, to see an aerial view with labels of what stores are nearby, etc.

It's also helpful to get a walkability score, unless you don't mind driving long distances for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate