Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:12 AM

85 posts, read 122,477 times

Advertisements

Last thing anyone wants to do after buying a house is deal with evictions, not to mention what someone might do to a property before the eviction goes through. The contract failure at that point is STILL the seller's failure as they have not vacated / made it so it is possible for occupancy at closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 06:18 AM

306 posts, read 550,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradelyjacc View Post
Last thing anyone wants to do after buying a house is deal with evictions, not to mention what someone might do to a property before the eviction goes through. The contract failure at that point is STILL the seller's failure as they have not vacated / made it so it is possible for occupancy at closing.
And you copied my last post word-for-word because? I'm confused....

Old 09-10-2015, 07:24 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,425,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
You're not paying attention. This has nothing to do with not wanting to close with someone in the house. As the buyer, who does not own the house, she can't do anything except not close. If she doesn't close on time, she is in default of the contract and will probably lose her earnest money as she didn't show up and do what the contract says. If she defaults the contract by not closing, she has no say in getting the seller out, and she'll be out of contract with no extension to close because at that point, why would the seller want to work with her amicably?

Her only recourse is to move forward with the contract, not default it, and become the owner, to which she would then evict. No court can evict someone from a house with instructions from someone who doesn't own the property.

Oh...I've been paying attention. You're just giving very bad advice. (Sorry to have to be so blunt.)

The best way to deal with a problem is to avoid getting into one in the first place. There is no way someone should close when they can make sure the occupant is out before closing! And when someone is ready, willing and able to close on time, they are not the one defaulting on the contract. They can even execute all of their portion of the contract and have the money held in escrow.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,513,654 times
That's what the last inspection is for. The day before closing
the seller should be out.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:56 AM

1,042 posts, read 875,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I live in Texas.

It's clearly stated on the contract.

I remember bc our Sellers wanted a few extra days and had to spell it out.
I am so glad that your friend lives in Texas, rather than, say, California. I have a friend in California who has been going to court for over 3 years to get rid of a squatter. Texas is probably the easiest.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:58 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,813,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
I am so glad that your friend lives in Texas, rather than, say, California. I have a friend in California who has been going to court for over 3 years to get rid of a squatter. Texas is probably the easiest.
Something is badly wrong with your friend in CA. No where in CA does it take three years to evict a squatter unless the squatter has some tie to the title.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
We bought a home once where the two older ladies would not move out. First they were looking for the right place, then they were in a fuss with an ex-husband....

After several weeks of this, I said that unfortunately, we could not continue to live in the hotel and pay to store our stuff so we would be moving in on Monday and moving their things out.

We showed up Monday and they were gone.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
We bought a home once where the two older ladies would not move out. First they were looking for the right place, then they were in a fuss with an ex-husband....

After several weeks of this, I said that unfortunately, we could not continue to live in the hotel and pay to store our stuff so we would be moving in on Monday and moving their things out.

We showed up Monday and they were gone.
A good solution if it works. Just what would you have done if they had still been there on Monday? Don't kid yourself...they have the legality on their side.

Payments from significant sums held in escrow are a good way. But generally better to get it emptied before close.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:56 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
A good solution if it works. Just what would you have done if they had still been there on Monday? Don't kid yourself...they have the legality on their side.

Payments from significant sums held in escrow are a good way. But generally better to get it emptied before close.
This was the first home we bought 40 years ago.

I full intended to move in. I don't think I would have kicked the old ladies to the curb, but I definitely would have piled their stuff there.

The law may say I couldn't kick them out, but pitching their stuff out is a whole nether matter.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This was the first home we bought 40 years ago.

I full intended to move in. I don't think I would have kicked the old ladies to the curb, but I definitely would have piled their stuff there.

The law may say I couldn't kick them out, but pitching their stuff out is a whole nether matter.
You would likely get arrested in most places and would lose very badly in court when they sued you for all the stuff they claimed you damaged or was damaged as a result of your actions.

You and others need to learn you cannot do that sort of stuff without big risk. And if it gets to court you are virtually certain to get clobbered. You cannot change locks, or move stuff out, or cut off utiliities or harrass the squatters. You have to go through the eviction process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate