Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 05:55 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times

Advertisements

My friend is going through this right now . The seller will not get out of the sold house . This guy somehow was thinking that he had 30 days after closing to get out of the house and that was not what he was told . My friend made it very clear she wanted possession of the home at closing , yes keys and all . My friend and re agent did a walk through and noticed the guy was not out at all no boxes anywhere , no signs of moving at all .So she told her re agent there would be no closing until this guy was out and now she is stuck because she cannot move forward with anything until this guy is out .I told her that maybe his re agent had not made that issue about immediate possession clear to him or maybe she had and he just ignored it . Now she has gotten herself into a real pickle and I told her to get a real estate attorney just to see what her options are . did I give her the right advise ? should she see a real estate attorney ? . My home buying is on without a hitch and after seeing this mess I'm grateful .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 05:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
My friend is going through this right now . The seller will not get out of the sold house . This guy somehow was thinking that he had 30 days after closing to get out of the house and that was not what he was told . My friend made it very clear she wanted possession of the home at closing , yes keys and all . My friend and re agent did a walk through and noticed the guy was not out at all no boxes anywhere , no signs of moving at all .So she told her re agent there would be no closing until this guy was out and now she is stuck because she cannot move forward with anything until this guy is out .I told her that maybe his re agent had not made that issue about immediate possession clear to him or maybe she had and he just ignored it . Now she has gotten herself into a real pickle and I told her to get a real estate attorney just to see what her options are . did I give her the right advise ? should she see a real estate attorney ? . My home buying is on without a hitch and after seeing this mess I'm grateful .
She "made it clear" that she wanted possession, but what does the contract say???

Her agent should handle this for her.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,667 times
So did she actually sign papers at a settlement and the house is legally hers? Or is she just under contract, awaiting the settlement?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,239,528 times
Doesnt matter what anyone thinks or says. What does the contract say?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:10 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,222 times
This is the problem with " my friend" posts. Everything is second hand relayed information. Have your friend get on here and post.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Unless the agent is incompetent, the date to vacate will be in the contract, and also a daily charge if they are not out in time. That amount should be high enough to motivate them to get out faster. She doesn't need an attorney yet, she needs to read the contract.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:26 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
Are you sure the seller is in the house? It might be a tenant who has a contract.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:37 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
WTF? All real estate contracts spell this out.

Seriously, this post makes NO sense.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:11 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,890 times
What does the contract say? Unless it says he has X amount of days to stay in the house, the seller has to be gone. I would tell the buyer to call the cops.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:23 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,814,092 times
Read the contract. If the buyer doesn't sign her docs to close on the sale, she might default the contract and all this will be moot. She has no leg to stand on to make sure he's out at closing because it's still not her house at that point. Once he's not out at FUNDING, then she's got a case because she then owns the house. She would have to evict him just like any squatter or tenant who does not get out of a property when they are supposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate