Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:40 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

I will be selling my house. When looking through my closing papers from when I bought the house over 20 years ago, I saw that when I bought the house, the inspector noted that there was evidence of prior termite treatment (I had forgotten), but no evidence of termites or termite damage. The prior owner on the disclosure had also noted that there had been prior termite treatment, but to his knowledge no termites.

When I do the disclosure when I sell the house, I'll have to note the prior termite treatment evidence, like the prior seller did, and state that to my knowledge, no termites.

I have an old early '50s house. It's in a "hot" area in a prime location....one of those charming older neighborhoods, with old custom homes, large yards, hardwood floors, scrollwork and such. We're being taken over by rich people moving in and remodeling extensively, or builders building McMansions (I think mine is too pricey to be bought by a builder).

Do you think that the prior termite treatment will decrease my selling price? Or that buyers will be reluctant to buy my house?

When I bought it, I was not happy to see his disclosure about the treatment. I remember thinking about it and being concerned, but I wasn't overly concerned, since the inspector didn't see evidence of current or prior infestation. It didn't impact the price I offered, either. But I don't know how other potential buyers might view it. I sure would appreciate some opinions on that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 11:23 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
All the placed I dealt with, "termite treatment" usually comes with a notation for the treatment. Most times it states "preventive" which mean the owner is treating the premise for termites even though they have no activity. You will see this a lot in places like the SW where homes are on slabs and termite treatment is routinely done as a PM every few years after the builder's supplied treatment has expired. We also see this when a development has been around for 10 years and suddenly someone gets a mud tube so all others act to prevent being the next home to get termites. It's no different than changing the fluids on your car just because they are getting old.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:42 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
In fact in some of the country, if your records do not say there has been termite treatment even without any sign there have ever been termites, it is a black mark against the house. Preventive termite treatment is just the standard in many parts of the country.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Thanks for your responses. I didn't know that some people have preventive treatment. This is the only home I've bought in this area of the country. I bought one other many years ago in a different state.

Thanks so much.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:11 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
there's no telling what is a disclosable item in your location this year.

I can tell you that in NC, the condition that you describe does not require disclosure. prior termite damage that should have been treated but has NOT requires disclosure. In NC, most items that have been repaired or addressed (lots of termite damage here, and we're top 5 in the nation for the critters) - which can include spot treatment you might not be in full knowledge of since you didn't perform it - don't require disclosure.

Might you want to take the extra step of disclosing? Sure.

But regardless, unless you have active bugs or the prior damage hurt the structure and hasn't been fixed, it ought not to matter at all. Unless you're in an area where termites are rare - but it sure doesn't sound like it! And assuming you have a professional representing you, they'd scoff at any agent that tried to claim a 20+ year old event that hasn't affected the function of the home meant your home was worth less.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I will be selling my house. When looking through my closing papers from when I bought the house over 20 years ago, I saw that when I bought the house, the inspector noted that there was evidence of prior termite treatment (I had forgotten), but no evidence of termites or termite damage. The prior owner on the disclosure had also noted that there had been prior termite treatment, but to his knowledge no termites.

When I do the disclosure when I sell the house, I'll have to note the prior termite treatment evidence, like the prior seller did, and state that to my knowledge, no termites.

I have an old early '50s house. It's in a "hot" area in a prime location....one of those charming older neighborhoods, with old custom homes, large yards, hardwood floors, scrollwork and such. We're being taken over by rich people moving in and remodeling extensively, or builders building McMansions (I think mine is too pricey to be bought by a builder).

Do you think that the prior termite treatment will decrease my selling price? Or that buyers will be reluctant to buy my house?

When I bought it, I was not happy to see his disclosure about the treatment. I remember thinking about it and being concerned, but I wasn't overly concerned, since the inspector didn't see evidence of current or prior infestation. It didn't impact the price I offered, either. But I don't know how other potential buyers might view it. I sure would appreciate some opinions on that!
Have an inspector inspect, then certify that there are no resident termites in your house. That's the way you prevent problems at closing.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Do you think worse about someone who treats preventatively for spiders or scorpions or even weeds in the yard? Just because there was a treatment doesn't mean anything is wrong with the property.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:07 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
If it was in Florida, I would be happy to read that. In NC, I would simply ask why the house was treated.

Either way, it wouldn't deter me and I would still have it inspected.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:47 AM

61 posts, read 136,905 times
I think termite treatment will not effect the selling of your house. Infact it might make the buyer pay more after knowing about your termite control activity.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:16 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Thanks for your responses. I didn't know that some people have preventive treatment. This is the only home I've bought in this area of the country. I bought one other many years ago in a different state.

Thanks so much.
It's possible the treatment may have been preventative. It's also possible the termite damage may have been repaired. What I've been told about termites is that if you treat for them and then stop the treatment they will almost always come back. So, it's important to determine if the treatment was preventative or actually addressing a problem.

If you're not selling to a builder who will tear down the house, (if you were my client) I would suggest having an exterminator come by and perform a pest inspection. It's low cost and if the extermination company finds evidence of a pest (especially termites) you can put a treatment plan in place which will put a potential buyer's mind at ease. I would do that prior to putting the home on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate