Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 AM

26 posts, read 135,247 times

Advertisements

Hello, at what point during the home purchasing process did you feel confident enough to set the wheels in motion of making the dream a reality and actually prepare for moving (i.e, packing, hiring movers, in my case breaking a lease on my rental, getting homeowner's insurance, registering for daycare and withdrawing from the current one, looking at furniture, preparing to get rid of some, etc....)

I am now in Underwriting (or so I think). Appraisal came in this week at value and per LO, the processor would submit to UW within 48 hours. I don't know when I am getting a response. I have preemptively provided all stipulations relating to income documentation to the loan officer / processor. The title work has been ordered this week. Going for a conventional loan, good credit, and up until now the only thing that had me concerned was that the appraisal would be low (it came in for exactly the purchase price). I'm just looking for some assurance since closing is scheduled for exactly a month away and there's no sense of certainty this is 100% going to happen. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:32 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Confidence came when I had their check in my pocket. Until then, always have a backup/what if plan.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 135,247 times
Thanks. I understand as a home buyer that there are always risks inherent with obtaining a mortgage amongst other things for closing to be successful but I have to assume other buyers in their experiences have already prepared to do the things I mentioned above days, weeks, if not months in advance of the closing date and not wait post closing. Trying to gauge based on others when they felt the commitment was strong enough to move forward with planning a move (absent of a real commitment letter which may come too soon before closing date and not adequate lead time to prepare moving.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:33 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,030 times
There definitely needs to be more of a "commitment" from lenders with a significant lag time until closing so buyers/sellers can make proper moving arrangement without the risk of being hung out at the last minute.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:48 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,453 times
I felt confident when I finally had the keys in my hand and opened the front door...no kidding. I am a paranoid worrying type. real Murphy's law type of guy.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:37 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,651,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2the4 View Post
Hello, at what point during the home purchasing process did you feel confident enough to set the wheels in motion of making the dream a reality and actually prepare for moving (i.e, packing, hiring movers, in my case breaking a lease on my rental, getting homeowner's insurance, registering for daycare and withdrawing from the current one, looking at furniture, preparing to get rid of some, etc....)
I felt confident the day of closing, we signed the last paper and the closing lawyer said, "ok, we are done, have a good day".

As for getting homeowner's insurance, that must be done before closing.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:47 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,649,286 times
As a home seller, I worried the entire time about closing, because we are expected to be completely moved out of the house by closing. We were planning to downsize and move out of state, so we sold a lot of our furniture, packed up our lives into a truck and sent it out of state.......... only to find out closing would be delayed........ and delayed again. We slept on air mattresses at a relatives house for 9 days waiting to sign. Talk about stress!

That was a week ago, now I'm on the buying end and closing is a little over a week away. We are fully approved pending appraisal because it took over 2 weeks just to find an appraiser and when we did, they couldn't do it for another two weeks, so the entire process is only waiting on appraisal. At this point, I'm sure all parties are confident it will close since underwriting approved in less than 48 hours.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:12 PM

96 posts, read 116,445 times
I am confident enough to pack up most of my house now and I booked the movers for the day before closing, but not confident enough to sell the tractor yet. It won't be 100% until I have the keys in my hand.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:37 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times
I would feel confident after the mortgage contingency has been met which is usually the last and biggest hurdle then it is just a count down to the closing.
I would start packing the things you don't need in the immediate future. As the closing gets closer keep packing. If for some reason the buyer flakes you have the option to keep the deposit money for your troubles. Then the house goes back on the market and due to your pre packing the house is tidier and you won't have to do as much work when it goes under agreement again.

I used to be in car sales and I never counted any sale until the car was "over the curb and burning gas" and then I still held my breath for about a week after that. I am now in real estate and I don't count anything until my check is cashed and I still hold my breath. I know of one case which happened to a fellow realtor where after the closing the whole deal fell apart due to a major title problem that was missed by the attorneys and the monies had to be returned but that is rare.

We did have a deal that was delayed due to paperwork not in order and we had another that was delayed due to a crack in the ceiling that had to be repaired before closing due to the nature of the loan. Once again rare happenings.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
As a realtor, almost anything can make a deal fall apart.

That said, start packing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate