Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:53 PM

169 posts, read 331,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Every home is unique. It sits on a unique piece of land, in a unique area with unique neighbors, and unique towns. A toll brothers house could get top dollar or be a former meth house and get bottom dollar.

Bottom line: A home is not a brand name that was built in a factory and is identical to the next one. Some were built by good subcontractors, some not. Mistakes can be made.

Its not a car or an iphone rolling off an assembly line.
great advice...will keep in mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 01:06 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
the distance to schools seems a little far to me. Are there school buses? Is there an afterschool program for the elementary? Where are the schools located in relation to work? Meaning do you have to drive 10-15 minutes in the wrong direction and then back again the other way, adding up to 30 minutes to a commute?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:13 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidss77 View Post
well that certainly puts things into perspective....although i think of my poor children taking an hour to get back home lol
so good schools, proximity to nyc, although further away from the center ( kinda where the high school is 15 min away). our dream home though....sounds like we may be thinking seriously about this offer. thanks raelise
that's pretty much how I felt when we purchased our current home. I want what I want, commute be damned. I'm willing to live farther out (within reason) if the home meets my needs. lot size was very important to us, as was mature trees. I have no interest in moving before retirement and it's our second home together, so we pretty much knew what we wanted and needed in a house. Why live in a home that we'd dislike just for the sake of a shorter commute (for me, my husband's is shorter regardless)?

good luck.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:18 PM

169 posts, read 331,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
the distance to schools seems a little far to me. Are there school buses? Is there an afterschool program for the elementary? Where are the schools located in relation to work? Meaning do you have to drive 10-15 minutes in the wrong direction and then back again the other way, adding up to 30 minutes to a commute?
yes there are school buses and I think they way they do it, they have this one bus coming straight to us so it would be about 40 min door to door for kids. after school care....only in middle school onwards.

my husbands job is north of the house, past the high school and elementary school- about 30 min commute from this place we are interested in ( we are the farthest end of the district to the south). However, he wont be doing the pick and drop,itll be me, the stay at home mom

If we stayed to the' center' where the elementary and high school is, it would still take my husband about 22-23 min to get to work so we are adding only about extra 10 on an average day....does it still sound iffy?

Last edited by nidss77; 10-30-2015 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: add information

Old 10-30-2015, 03:34 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
Every home is unique. It sits on a unique piece of land, in a unique area with unique neighbors, and unique towns. A toll brothers house could get top dollar or be a former meth house and get bottom dollar.

Bottom line: A home is not a brand name that was built in a factory and is identical to the next one. Some were built by good subcontractors, some not. Mistakes can be made.

Its not a car or an iphone rolling off an assembly line.
Agree on the lot perspective, but in my area toll brothers walls used to be prebuilt and trucked to the site in 8 to 12 ft sections, then assembled, so sort of like an assembly line, at least for rough wall framing.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:45 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
It's going to depend on the area. Toll put in a small tract development just outside of downtown Seattle. Despite this being a hot home sales market the Toll homes were very slow to sell. I drove through there a few months ago and there are still a bunch of empty lots 3 years after they started building.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
If you are in a development that still has new home competition, figure a minimum of 10-15% below new competition. I have seen that in a 1 year old home. If no new home competition, then just depends on the market and what it is doing. Tat is where a good agent comes I to play.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:20 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Agree on the lot perspective, but in my area toll brothers walls used to be prebuilt and trucked to the site in 8 to 12 ft sections, then assembled, so sort of like an assembly line, at least for rough wall framing.
There's a lot more to a house than wall framing. Plumbing is probably the easiest to get wrong and require extensive repair/re-engineering, and there's a lot of it in a house. That and the electrical service, though most modern homes will include systems that are adequate for the high-technology lives we live now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate