Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times

Advertisements

my sister and I went to do her walk through and eww the house was dusty and the oven was dirty and the place was not swept or mopped . I have always cleaned a place rental or owned before I turned the keys over ? why do some people not ? I have a very bad impression of the previous owners now , yeah oink , oink . so I will have to go over and clean and spray for bugs and God willing and I don't run into anything . I just cannot fathom people not being clean in their own home eww ....

Last edited by phonelady61; 11-02-2015 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: typing too fast and leaving out some words LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 07:41 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,750,371 times
Have you closed yet? Does your contract require the seller to leave the property swept and clean? If so, you can refuse to close unless they agree to escrow enough money to cover a professional cleaning.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Phonelady, I am confused, in another thread you said you were already living in your new house and were very happy ... even though in the first post of that thread you said you were still looking at houses but might stop because you were frustrated. It was very confusing, your stories changed even within the same thread. (See here ... //www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ouse-does.html ... post #1 and post #8 ...)

So I guess you had NOT really moved in?

RE: cleanliness, what does your contract say? Some specify just "broom clean," which honestly isn't very clean.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:10 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,091 times
Basically, it boils down to this: Some people are slobs, and some people aren't. You might as well ask, "Why don't people wash their hands after using the bathroom?" or "Why don't people change their sheets more than twice a year?" or "Why don't people clean the rotten food out of their refrigerator?"

The sellers don't care what you think of them -- they have moved on. And frankly, no matter HOW well someone had supposedly cleaned their house after moving out, I'm going to be cleaning it to suit me before I move in, anyway.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,853 times
We've always paid for a professional cleaning after moving out. I've found that the house seems dirty when we move despite the fact that we are VERY clean (we are both former/retired Marines!) when we move out.... Windows and doors are open while moving stuff inand out so dirt and dust come in, etc

Every time we've moved out of somewhere we have a million other things going on...

Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
Im sorry all I was typing too fast and left out some facts I was busy thinking about something else and typed and posted before I started reading again so sorry left some facts out yep I closed on my place last week and am moved in yeah ....

Old 11-02-2015, 09:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
We've always paid for a professional cleaning after moving out. I've found that the house seems dirty when we move despite the fact that we are VERY clean (we are both former/retired Marines!) when we move out.... Windows and doors are open while moving stuff inand out so dirt and dust come in, etc

Every time we've moved out of somewhere we have a million other things going on...

This. It's always a struggle when you think you are fully packed and once the boxes are out, you realize you aren't. Especially with outside stuff. UGH. So when every last little thing is finally out of the house, I am exhausted. I always pay for a move out cleaning so I don't have to worry about all the stuff movers track in/out and behind furnishings etc.

I don't expect a home to be clean when I buy it as I know how it is. If it was important to me, I would specify it in the contract for a move out cleaning.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:00 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,664,411 times
I did not clean anything the last time I moved. I sold the vacuum, mops, brooms, bucket, and threw out the rags. Gave away all the cleaning supplies.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:57 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,596 times
I do house cleaning and am hired much more for move in cleans then move out ones. The standard of clean is much lower for some one leaving a house then what one expects to move into. Maybe the wouldn't move into a house that dirty but they don't see the problem with moving out of one. People are self centered and lazy.

The other thing is professional cleaners do a better job overall. We clean from top to bottom and get all the little things domestic cleaners tend to miss. With rentals people assume a cleaning service is coming in either way and do just enough to get back the deposit. There are very few tenant cleaned rentals that can be moved directly into without additional services.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
The last time I moved, I had carpet cleaners come out and do the carpet areas.

I had our maid come and clean the house.

This was a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate