Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 10:12 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
wondering if this is normal? I thought they usually drive you around and show you multiple properties, but she only showed me 2. Is this something I should stray away from, or perhaps she is busy?
Ask her. It's possible that there aren't many houses on the market this time of year where you are. Or what you are looking for is rare.

As a non-realtor, I would say that is unusual, to be shown only two houses. Maybe she's trying to get an idea of your likes and dislikes, or to see if you're serious or just wasting her time. But I would ask her. Have you gone online to see the houses that are available? That's what I would do, and then ask to see particular houses. All this stuff is online now. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
When we were looking, we contracted several agents in different parts of the state. We had two lists, things that were "must haves", and things we didn't care about. One agent asked us a bunch of questions about our lists, then, she showed us only two properties. We bought the second one.
You bought without living there a couple of months? Are you staying forever, or just a few years?

I'm asking because I'm moving out of town and am not sure I have a firm handle on the areas and the different values of different houses there. I'm getting to know it, but am thinking I may have to live there a month or two before buying?

Old 11-11-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Our buyers' agent only showed us 4.
We left our names on the sign-in pad at house #3. 4574 N Raleigh St, Denver, CO 80212 | Zillow
That agent invited us to a cheap wine and cheap shrimp open house.
Walked in the front door and said: We LOVE it.

We now own this similar house. 3968 Vrain Street, Berkeley, Denver, CO 80212-2251 USA
Beautiful house! Looks expensive.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:44 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post
yeah ill probably do that next time we view homes. I am sure it must have been for a reason lol.
The time to do it is BEFORE the next time you view homes, not while you are viewing homes.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
As an agent, there are two things that could be done: 1) Call the agent's broker and ask if there's someone else that can make arrangements for me to show the house. If that didn't work (and it almost always does, because the broker calls the agent and basically says, "why aren't you dealing with this?"), then 2) I think I would have walked up to the house, knocked on the door and said, "I beg your pardon, but I have been trying to get in touch with your agent for two weeks. I have a buyer who is interested in your home, but I've been unable to reach your agent to arrange a showing. Here is my card -- can you please have your agent call me as soon as possible?" And then let the SELLER deal with the unresponsive agent.
The agent was the broker so there's that. It wasn't worth my time to drive over to someone's house and demand to see their house. That's rather rude. My realtor would not do that. He's been a realtor in that area for over 30 years and is one of the most successful and professional realtors in the area. There's a reason he has that reputation. I didn't have 2 weeks. I literally had 5 days to find a house. I ended up with one I love. The other one wasn't meant to be. Everything happens for a reason.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:36 AM

24 posts, read 31,662 times
Definitely ask your agent. Could be the homes were already under contract and pending.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,724,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I have a client that sent me a list of about twelve properties they wanted to see on a Wednesday.

Two only showed nights and weekends.

Two agents never called me back.

Four properties went under contract the beginning of the week.

One rented.

So, I was only able to schedule three properties out of the twelve that the husband and wife wanted to see.

A lot of times it is out of our hands as we are at the mercy of the market and the listing agents.
This is totally plausible and likely something similar is the case. BUT, I don't understand why the agent wouldn't say that -- if I were an agent, I'd say something like, "I found a few properties that seem to fit your criteria, but I was only able to get ahold of two of the agents, so we'll go look at these two. I'll keep trying on the others -- here they are. Let me know if you don't want me to pursue one of those for some reason."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The agent was the broker so there's that. It wasn't worth my time to drive over to someone's house and demand to see their house. That's rather rude. My realtor would not do that. He's been a realtor in that area for over 30 years and is one of the most successful and professional realtors in the area. There's a reason he has that reputation. I didn't have 2 weeks. I literally had 5 days to find a house. I ended up with one I love. The other one wasn't meant to be. Everything happens for a reason.
I don't think it's rude to ask to see a house that's on the market. I don't think you're really "demanding" to see it. My eleven year old said something like this to me -- we're getting ready to put our house on the market, and I was irritated with him because he was leaving crap all over the place. I told him that soon we were going to have to keep the house neat, because at any minute a realtor could call and say they'd like to bring someone over to see the house in 20 minutes, and we'd have to be able to have the house in show-ready condition. He said that they can't force us to do that. Well, yes, the realtor can't force me to leave, but if I want to sell the house, I sure as heck want any interested buyer to come and look at it.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
In Louisville, KY, the agents evaluate the buyers while showing them the houses. If the agent comes to the conclusion that they might not actually buy anything, and might just be wasting the agent's time, they make a quick excuse to dump the person, and move on. But, unfortunately, they come to that conclusion way too fast, and dump a lot of people who might have bought, if the agent was better at showing and selling. They often come to that kind of conclusion after only showing one or two houses. I think Louisville must have a shortage of agents, who have more potential buyers than the agents have time for. And, with a shortage of agents, the quality of the agents goes down too, because it makes the brokerages desperate to find good agents, and willing to try bad agents because nobody else is available.

The OP might want to consider the possibility of having been dumped by an agent who didn't think a sale was likely.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Another possibility. Perhaps the Realtor listened closely to specifically what you wanted to buy and is intent on showing you that .... instead of simply dragging you all over town to look at houses that don't meet your criteria.

We've bought a number of homes and pretty much know what we want. I would rather focus on that, than look at houses that the Realtor had a listing contract on, or simply wanted to show me - in hopes I might buy one.

On the other hand, you may have emitted a 'vibe' that said you didn't know what you really want and hope that you might figure that out by 'looking' at enough houses (kind of like looking for designer ideas). (Contrary to popular belief, Realtors do not get paid for simply 'showing houses.' Are there really 15 houses that meet your criteria available in the neighborhood you want? If so, your criteria is probably too broad and you probably look to the Realtor like a 'tire-kicker,' rather than a real buyer.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:11 PM

199 posts, read 184,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Walked in the front door and said: We LOVE it.
That statement alone might have cost you thousands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate