Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 12:16 PM

70 posts, read 88,288 times

Advertisements

I own a condo and rented it out to a couple. The lease term is one year. They move in on Saturday. On Monday I receive an email saying their health is being jeopardized because the owner of the unit below smokes cigarettes. I called the Health department and they said there is nothing they can do about it, as it is not illegal to smoke in their own home (We are in MD)
My tenant talked to me yesterday and said that this is detrimental to their health and they want to move out. There is nothing I can do about the behavior of the other people.

My tenant called me this morning to discuss some issues. We had a very heated conversation that went like this:
-He told me I lied to him when I did not disclose the people downstairs smoke (I do not know who lives downstairs)
-I told him he was obviously unhappy on my place, that he spent 2 days there and already was calling me and threatening me with an attorney and that really was not the ideal situation for any tenant-landlord relationship. So I told him if you want to go, then lets just cut both our loses and split the baby on half.
Then he said he spent all this money moving. I told him you do not want to stay here and I cannot tell the people downstairs not to smoke. There is nothing I can do about that.
-He said if something happens to my health due to the smoke I will sue you. (Again, he was never promised a smoke free building).

We are meeting tomorrow with my attorney and him and his wife. At this point I want them out. He is clearly not all mentally there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
So you offered to let him out of his lease? (What do you mean with the 'split the baby in half' line) What else does he want?

Curious - What county in MD?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:58 PM

Montgomery County

Old 12-01-2015, 02:25 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,628,905 times
Your lease should state what happens when someone leaves before the lease period ends. Generally, you still keep the deposit until you see if there is anything stolen, broken or damaged in some way by the tenant and the tenant continues to pay the rent he signed on for until. It's nice if that "until" is finished when you find a new tenant. Some landlords make the tenant pay till the lease expires even if they have another tenant in there.

You might want to make an inspection soon...perhaps by way of saying you'd like to talk. See if there is already some damage by this individual who is off balance. You might want to be there when he leaves to be sure he leaves the appliances and doesn't do any damage either because he's a con artist or because he's just an unstable person being mad at you.

I have met up with a few people who make the bulk of their living by suing. Despicable bums.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Your lease should state what happens when someone leaves before the lease period ends. Generally, you still keep the deposit until you see if there is anything stolen, broken or damaged in some way by the tenant and the tenant continues to pay the rent he signed on for until. It's nice if that "until" is finished when you find a new tenant. Some landlords make the tenant pay till the lease expires even if they have another tenant in there.

You might want to make an inspection soon...perhaps by way of saying you'd like to talk. See if there is already some damage by this individual who is off balance. You might want to be there when he leaves to be sure he leaves the appliances and doesn't do any damage either because he's a con artist or because he's just an unstable person being mad at you.

I have met up with a few people who make the bulk of their living by suing. Despicable bums.
We are meeting tomorrow with him, his wife and my fiancee and my attorney. I already informed them to stop with the threats, verbal abuse towards me and to mail me the rent. I dont feel safe dealing by myself with him

I am going to tell them tomorrow you need to pay until I find a new tenant or you can leave and pay until I find a new tenant.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:32 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,891 times
Just let them out of the lease. The money you spend on attorneys would cover the lost rent until you find another tenant.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:42 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,488,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post

The bolded line is totally illegal in my state, and I assume in many other states as well.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:45 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
The bolded line is totally illegal in my state, and I assume in many other states as well.
Yes. A lease is a contract and the landlord would normally have the duty to "cover," meaning he would have the duty to re-rent the property to mitigate damages.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Just let them out of the lease. The money you spend on attorneys would cover the lost rent until you find another tenant.
No sorry. I did a lot for this person. He needs to be held liable.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,403,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Not "illegal" in most states, just makes the landlord lose in court if he tries to sue the tenant for unpaid rent. A civil issue, not against the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate