Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:59 AM

908 posts, read 961,856 times

Advertisements

i once lived in an apt that had smokers next to me. my newborn baby developed horrible breathing issues. the smoke was visible in our bathroom. the ****ty landlord wouldn't let us out. be a decent human being and let him go and deal with the smoker downstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 03:50 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
The nightmare of leasing in the USA is really getting to scare me, as I'll be looking to lease down south this year.
While questions of health may be civil, illegal, immoral, or fattening what makes me nervous is so many states landlords run a credit check, and some refer to a "renters list" of some kind for evictions, but I'm guessing it's also covering disputes? And you may not even know you're on the Watch List?

Several things about rent/leasing. Do a drive by in odd hours, check right before/after work times to see who's raising pitbulls in their backyard and not cleaning up. Smell. If the smokers are THAT BAD it should have been obvious on inspection and walk through. See if you can get a night STAYING in the suite, even if you have to pay for it. I did that in a house and passed on the option. Money well spent.

KNOW who you actually dealing with: I've noticed in the USA a LOT of real estate holding companies are renting. So....who am I dealing with? The person? The Realty co.? A "Holding" co.?.I'd offer to put the last, full months damage, and some (in high inventory areas) are asking for an additional deposit for water/utilities/services. RIGHT. I'm going to cut a 4,500 bag of cash to someone/some company that can ruin my credit rating, but when I want to find them they're GONE. No, but I'll put it with a Notary or lawyer for holding. There are always solutions if you have two co-operating parties.

In this particular case, the comment from the leasor that they "had spent all their money" speaks volumes. They probably don't have a good income and/or can't manage their money, so you'd have been better off not leasing to them anyway. They're just going to come up with more problems in the future. If you have one bathroom in the place, get ready for their "the toilet doesn't work" argument.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:14 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,100,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower2014 View Post
I talked to the county today. They told me I am in the right. The lease states Landlord does not guarantee a smoke free space.
That wasn't my point. My point is that if they stay and it gets into a constant series of confrontations the environment you are in is not 'landlord friendly'. If you are ready for that then dig in your heels and have at it but expect to have ongoing annoyances.

I think there was a thread a little while back about a 'tenant from h***' that you could look to for guidance on what to expect

Old 12-02-2015, 05:53 AM

70 posts, read 88,288 times
He says now he wants to meeting and he wants to stay.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Quote:
No sorry. I did a lot for this person. He needs to be held liable.
So you would rather have him jeopardize his health? Or else penalize him and make money on someone who was renting your property for a few days? Sorry, but moving is a costly, messy business. I'm sure the tenant would rather not go through that unless the situation warranted it. Let him out of his lease and don't be a greedy landlord.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 AM

I cant ask him to leave. He says he wants to stay.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:37 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,952,353 times
Oh....title of this thread said "tenants want out". ????? Why would they want to stay?

Old 12-02-2015, 06:52 AM

He changed his mind.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
That wasn't my point. My point is that if they stay and it gets into a constant series of confrontations the environment you are in is not 'landlord friendly'. If you are ready for that then dig in your heels and have at it but expect to have ongoing annoyances.

I think there was a thread a little while back about a 'tenant from h***' that you could look to for guidance on what to expect
I do not understand this man. He is in our opinion bipolar and a bully. But now I cannot ask him to leave. if he comes and says again I want to break the lease then I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:33 AM

253 posts, read 304,919 times
Quote:
I do not understand this man. He is in our opinion bipolar and a bully. But now I cannot ask him to leave. if he comes and says again I want to break the lease then I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Bipolar doesn't mean changing one's mind.

You do get the part you played in his decision making process, right? He wants to leave, you want him out. He says he can not afford to move with the penalties you will impose. You refuse to budge. If he can't afford it, then he can't afford it and he has no choice but to stay despite the serious health concerns your unit poses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate