Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 03:41 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times

Advertisements

I am not going to read anymore because people are posting without reading the thread and they are suggesting things, over and over, that you have already covered, one way or the other. That makes me bored with the whole thing.

You have done what you could with this loon and it looks like you may be stuck with him for the duration of the lease. You said you wanted to sell it after they moved. Good. You could not have known about the smoke issue from the other floor. They stayed in another complex for 4 years that some complained had smoke and noise issues. He didn't ask you about smoke in any way, did he ?

I agree, I think he found something cheaper and this was a ploy. But I sure hope they don't damage the plumbing or something. I would try and find a way to get them out without having to pay for them to move. This sounds kind of suspicious, doesn't it ?

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 03:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower2014 View Post
I can't. The county and my attorney told me not to ask him to leave. I would be breaching the lease.
As you have said for the 15th time......

Montgomery County, MD, is the most liberal county in the US of A. My daughter lived there for a several years and even though she is a flaming liberal, some of the stuff they came up with almost got to her.....lol

Old 12-02-2015, 03:58 PM

6,823 posts, read 11,556,490 times
OP keeps saying they cannot ask the tenants to leave. That may be so, but you could suggest that if they wanted to break the lease, you would let them do so, at such-and-such terms.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:33 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,676,278 times
Hi Flower2014,

I can't believe all of the cr*p you are getting from some of the posters here! A bad tenant can make your life miserable. BUT: if the tenant should ask to be released from the lease again, make sure you get it in writing so he can't change his mind. I agree with the consensus that this person sounds like he will be a PITA for the rest of the lease, and may trash your place to boot. I hope you have photo documentation of how the unit looked before you rented it to them. And -- even though you said you were selling -- don't renew his lease at any price.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:02 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,765 times
to play devil's advocate, if tons of smoke is wafting up or thru the vents, it really could be a health problem

Old 12-02-2015, 05:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,118,890 times
Quote:
Me too. My main thing is I try to give him an out. Granted I was not happy yesterday but keep my cool and setup the meeting and what not. When I talked to him I encouraged him to get legal representation and bring them to the meeting.

He realized breaking the lease is not that easy. I believe he really thought the smoke thing was going to make me grab my check book and pay him out. It is not like that.

That is why I now believe he is a con artist; if the real motivation is his health why not just meet and talk? Because I did not panic and offer him money, that is why.

I would go ahead and sell the condo.

Let the new owner deal with him.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:56 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Did he specifically ask about smokers in other units? If so, what did you say?
How on earth would anyone know what their neighbors do? I have no clue if any of my neighbors are smokers.....they could be running meth labs, selling heroin, working as a hooker, etc and I would have no idea. It's not my business unless it's something illegal and it affects me. If every one on my block smoked, it's none of my business. It's their life and wallet and lungs.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
They do not want to leave now. They want to stay. Can I legally ask them to go? I don't think I can.
I wouldn't say a word. Don't stir that pot!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
to play devil's advocate, if tons of smoke is wafting up or thru the vents, it really could be a health problem

Yeah but she has NO control as to what other people do in their OWN residences. And it's asinine to think she does have some control. That's part of the issue with moving into a multi story, multi occupancy housing unit. As a tenant in one of those types of units EXPECT smoke, noise, talking, music, tv's, foreign cooking smells, and whatever every day things you come across.
Like I said I would get rid of this tenant without even blinking. I would immediately start calling applicants and relist the unit. The only thing I would want is to know when his planned last day was.
The ONLY thing I can guarantee is my unit is smoke free. But that's because I don't allow smoking in my units. That's something I can control
What a neighbor does next door I can't control.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:02 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,020,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
How on earth would anyone know what their neighbors do? I have no clue if any of my neighbors are smokers.....they could be running meth labs, selling heroin, working as a hooker, etc and I would have no idea. It's not my business unless it's something illegal and it affects me. If every one on my block smoked, it's none of my business. It's their life and wallet and lungs.
Its funny you state this because everything you listed, "they could be running meth labs, selling heroin, working as a hooker, etc " is illegal and can affect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate