Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 07:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times

Advertisements

Flower, you did this to yourself. How?
You already have a place to live, I presume. So why do you also own this condo, renting it out, effectively making you an absentee landlord? Sell the place. You don't need two homes, when so many people lack ONE.

"But, but, but, it's an investment!" you cry. You want an investment, buy a Steinway piano. But don't be a dog-in-the-manger with something as serious as housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 08:29 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
You already have a place to live, I presume. So why do you also own this condo, renting it out, effectively making you an absentee landlord? Sell the place. You don't need two homes, when so many people lack ONE.

"But, but, but, it's an investment!" you cry. You want an investment, buy a Steinway piano. But don't be a dog-in-the-manger with something as serious as housing.
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Maybe they're under water on the property and can't sell it?

He's obviously not an absentee landlord, he knows who he rented to and is obviously involved in the property.

Seriously, why get so pissed about someone having a second property.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:36 PM

253 posts, read 304,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flower2014 View Post
Me too. My main thing is I try to give him an out. Granted I was not happy yesterday but keep my cool and setup the meeting and what not. When I talked to him I encouraged him to get legal representation and bring them to the meeting.

He realized breaking the lease is not that easy. I believe he really thought the smoke thing was going to make me grab my check book and pay him out. It is not like that.

That is why I now believe he is a con artist; if the real motivation is his health why not just meet and talk? Because I did not panic and offer him money, that is why.
You let him know there would be a penalty (yes, I know, you have changed your story several times but your first post is clear and your subsequent posts are equally clear that you intended to penalize), he let you know he couldn't afford it. Now you are saying that you encouraged him to bring a lawyer. Now legal representation isn't a bad thing, but when someone tells you they can't afford to pay moving costs and the penalties, chances are they can't afford a lawyer. You all but told him that you weren't willing to work with him, that you weren't going to make this easy at all. What other alternatives do you think he has? He can't afford it. He couldn't even afford to meet with you.

Scumlords. They think their tenants are the problem.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:

Someone who is directly involved with their tenants is not a absentee LL.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:49 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,615,907 times
Even if you move into an apartment where no neighbors smoke, as judged by a pleasant smell or by asking all the neighbors all around (and a person truly bothered by smoke knows it can travel from a distance), who knows when a couple of smokers will move in nearby.

There are reasons for trying to make an arrangement with the owner to find another tenant when there is a problem and the current tenant will pay till another tenant is found. Sometimes a tenant will then give up any deposit, pay advertising costs, and put the word out himself that this rental is available. If there is truly an honest problem, this can be done somewhat amicably.

As flower tried to accomplish. So I'm still thinking the guy is a con artist.

Last edited by cully; 12-05-2015 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: added a comma

Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
What I am saying is, NEXT TIME be honest about your neighbors and tell your future tenants that they will be living above a smoker.

You might not be able to do anything about it, but leaving out such a very important bit of information might just save you from having this happen again.
He doesn't live there, so how is he supposed to know? What if the person downstairs quits smoking or moves? What if the person downstairs doesn't smoke, but then has friends over every now and then that do smoke? What if the person downstairs doesn't smoke, then a smoker moves in? It's impossible to say what the person downstairs or next to you does or doesn't do since those circumstances can change

Old 12-07-2015, 05:39 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,908,228 times
Quote:

You didn't read the post. The OP became engaged and it was actually a rather common reason to become a landlord, combining households. Judging isn't very zen-like. Odds are, it would be a loss to sell now.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:21 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
This thread is already in the Renting forum and has many posts.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,005 times
I am a landlord, if the guy wanted out after four days and I felt this would be a huge issue I would give him back his money. Why would I want to rent to a person who hates me and force them in my condo.

Do you have any clue what a mad enough person can do to you? I will tell you a real story. We know a guy who is the District Attorney of Brooklyn, he totally screwed over his long time girl friend who he made a complete fool of as they were about to get married and even kept some of her belongings in his apt. He then laughed in her face and said I am the District Attorney of Brooklyn go F your self I control the courts.

Well she got a lawyer "a criminal lawyer" if you know what I mean. She showed up on Friday evening at his apt, rang his bell, he opened she jumped on him. She pretends to hit him, slap him, bear hug him and like a dope he scratches her, punches at her rips her clothes to get her off.

Just then two officers show up at door with guns. She called 911 to report a rape in progress right before she rang door. She claimed she went to get there to get her stuff and he attacked her.

Like on cue, he does not have a mark on him. She is bruised, cut and ripped clothes and her stuff is in apt.

They take him to booking, but it is night court time, he cant see his cronies in regular court till Monday morning they sent him to Rikers Island for the weekend with criminals he prosecuted.

Come Monday he makes it out alive and gets to court. Now he is planning on nailing her for perjury. She dropped charges and left before he showed up.

Now he called his lawyer who told him, you are alive, she got her satisfaction and is gone for good. You want to start again. I would hate to see her next move. He moved on. But never again did he "poke the sleeping bear'.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:43 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
You REALLY expect us to believe that story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate