Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:23 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,526 times

Advertisements

I have a preliminary closing statement, I am the seller. The first mistake I see is that they put down I was to pay a commission, which was arranged between the buyer and agent. That's not happening.

Next they want me to pay the Closing Fee, Owner's Title Insurance, Release Tracking Fee, and Government Service Fee. Is it normal for the seller to be responsible for those fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:31 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Closing, title insurance and service fees are normally the buyer costs. People get confused when seller is giving money towards closing costs (which those fees are) . State tax transfer is seller unless specified in the contract.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:34 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
I have a preliminary closing statement, I am the seller. The first mistake I see is that they put down I was to pay a commission, which was arranged between the buyer and agent. That's not happening.

Next they want me to pay the Closing Fee, Owner's Title Insurance, Release Tracking Fee, and Government Service Fee. Is it normal for the seller to be responsible for those fees?
Fees vary by state and by negotiation.
Your contract should tell you what fees you are responsible for.
Commonly here, buyer pays for title insurance, but in some states the seller insures title as part of granting a marketable and insurable deed.
You might check with another agent, in Oregon, but it seems that sellers typically insure title for the buyer, and buyer insures for the lender.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 12-23-2015 at 10:48 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 10:47 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Read your contract.

Owner's policy - per contract. Here in Colorado, it is a typical Seller's charge, unless the contract says otherwise.

Government Service Fee? Is is in your contract?

Release Tracking fee is for your current lien to be released. That you should pay for.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:22 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Maybe Silverfall will weigh in. You're in Oregon, right?

In Michigan, a Seller would normally be responsible for a Title Insurance policy and transfer taxes--unless stipulated in the contract to the contrary. Closing fees would normally be split. Didn't your contract address these issues?

P.S. Good to hear that you're under contract at least.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:22 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
I'm confused why is this question being asked. I thought FSBO was so easy peasy that having a realtor with the answers wasn't needed.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:40 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,414,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Closing, title insurance and service fees are normally the buyer costs. People get confused when seller is giving money towards closing costs (which those fees are) . State tax transfer is seller unless specified in the contract.
That's a misleading post at best.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks all! I checked w/ my Realtor that is helping me on my next home...she said yes it's standard in Oregon for the seller to pay. Lesson learned, I should have tried to negotiate that. It's a couple of thousand dollars.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I'm confused why is this question being asked. I thought FSBO was so easy peasy that having a realtor with the answers wasn't needed.
Well, it's been pretty easy. Full price, cash, property sold "As-Is". $300 fee for an agent to review the contract.

It can be done!

Old 12-23-2015, 11:57 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:

If you signed the OREF Residential Real Estate Agreement (the standard agent form), then you agreed to pay the owner's title insurance policy and split title and escrow fees 50/50 with the buyer so then yes you would be responsible for those fees. It is in section 5 called Title Insurance if you want to reread that section.

The buyer agent would have needed to fill out a Selling Broker Compensation form that spells out how they are getting paid. Escrow officers are required to get any payouts in writing. My guess is the escrow officer didn't actually look at the form to see who to charge and just went with the norm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Um. No. We have no transfer tax here, and this would be incorrect advice in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate