Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,876,813 times

Advertisements

Lender's will not drop you...

What typically happens is the Lender will place insurance that is costly and only protects them and you get to pay for it.

One dirty secret is Insurance is much harder to get if you have been cancelled or presently don't have any.

On the other hand... there are a lot of companies that write policies... some States even offer minimum coverage to meet Lender requirements... in California it is called Fair Plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

11,180 posts, read 16,089,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
To make a long story longer I cancelled the insurance and ended up with Citizens, the Fla state pool that most people were getting at that point because it had the lowest rates and sometimes was the only insurance people could get. Eventually, and due to our insurance industry-loving governor Scott, everyone started getting dumped from Citizens, and put with companies nobody ever heard of. We sold our house, so I don't know what the situation is now, but I do know Fla pays ridiculous rates for coverage even though a hurricane hasn't really hit in years.
This isn't correct; you can't be unilaterally dropped from Citizens. When they make the decision to transfer you to one of those little-known companies that no one ever heard of, they send a notice to the homeowner advising you of this decision; you then have an opportunity to reject the transfer by signing and returning the opt-out form. If you fail to return the form, then and only then is your policy transferred.

I live in a high-rise oceanfront condo on Miami Beach and have been insured by Citizens ever since I purchased it in 2012, so I know how the process works. The one thing about the process that really perturbs me is that I get these notices from Citizens 2-3 times/year and there's no way I know of to stop them from trying to transfer my policy. I just checked my records and found that I last sent in the opt-out form on October 23, 2015, and I just received a letter from Citizens yesterday that they are trying once again to transfer my policy to the same insurance company I just rejected (Heritage).

By the way, homeowner insurance premiums are dropping since there haven't been any hurricanes in the past 10 years anywhere in Florida. My Citizens premium decreased 14.4% on its last renewal in November.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,452,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Lender's will not drop you...

What typically happens is the Lender will place insurance that is costly and only protects them and you get to pay for it.

One dirty secret is Insurance is much harder to get if you have been cancelled or presently don't have any.

On the other hand... there are a lot of companies that write policies... some States even offer minimum coverage to meet Lender requirements... in California it is called Fair Plan.
Not only that but if the Lender cannot find insurance they will SELF insure for you which is incredibly expensive.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:20 AM

8,679 posts, read 23,002,344 times
OP I get you do not want a new roof, yet.

Would your roof pass a roofing inspection?

Old 01-22-2016, 03:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,598,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
OP I get you do not want a new roof, yet.

Would your roof pass a roofing inspection?
It's not leaking. To answer your question, I guess the answer would depend on how high the inspection standard is.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:

I ordered new insurance already. They will do inspection within the next few weeks. We'll see what happens.

If they do inspection after some snow, they will not see that some of the shingles are slightly lifted.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,876,813 times
Can you use tube mastic to stick them down?

I had 7 shingles damaged from wind... the roofer left a bundle 19 years ago and I use 7 from the bundle to replace the damaged ones last year... looks great a year later.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Can you use tube mastic to stick them down?
No, I don't do height.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:05 AM

5,125 posts, read 6,153,280 times
Quaker15 - What company dropped you? Was it one of the big boys?

Old 01-23-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Quaker15 - What company dropped you? Was it one of the big boys?
Yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate