Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:06 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Few neighbors are upset that not helping cleaning the back of the condo up. The city came in cut down a lot of trees and tree limbs. I wasn't to keen on the end result. We needed it few tree limbs punctured some roofs of the condo, but think they went a bit overboard and now it's just this wide open space then woods. It was nice the deer came up to the rock wall ate a bit of grass.

Anyways some neighbors are now clearing out the empty space. Feel they can garden and walk their dogs not sure for what really. They are clearing it away and causing some to be upset for not helping.

My mindset is things in the condo I live in I'll take care of, work on the garden outside, and during a snowstorm help a neighbor remove snow from their car.

However, anything behind the rock wall is city property and I enjoy the woods. Plus plowing snow, raking, cutting the grass, and mulching is done by the condo.

Think I am in the wrong for not helping out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,034,539 times
If it was on the condo property, maybe they are cleaning up so that there is not a special assessment or use of their reserve funds to clean it up.

Of if its just an eyesore, maybe to improve everyone's enjoyment of the area and to keep property values up.

Working together is what helps make a nice community, but a legal obligation, no, you do not HAVE to help.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:37 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Ditto to the post above. You're not under any obligation to help (and, quite frankly, I'm not sure that I would), it would certainly be nice to do so. While your neighbors may be being petty, note that many people have long memories and your refusal to help now can come back to bite you in the future.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
You might contact the city and find out it your condo neighbors...or anyone...has the right to garden in that space.

Find out if it has it become a city park or is it an open buildable lot where another complex will be built. It could be trespass and disrupting the land are not what the city allows.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:13 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Do you pay condo fees? If so, is a portion of that earmarked for ground maintainance?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
You didn't say how many units were in your condo. Smaller condos typically have less funds for landscaping, particularly if there have been other significant expenses. In those cases, owners often pitch-in to keep the complex looking good. No one is obligated to help, but, as with many 'neighborhood projects,' those who do not are noticed.

Perhaps you should gauge your response based on how conspicuous your absence is. In any case, it probably wouldn't hurt your social life to pitch-in and help for an hour or two. Optionally, hire a couple of high school kids to help -- and make it known that is your contribution to the effort.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:34 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Few neighbors are upset that not helping cleaning the back of the condo up. The city came in cut down a lot of trees and tree limbs. I wasn't to keen on the end result. We needed it few tree limbs punctured some roofs of the condo, but think they went a bit overboard and now it's just this wide open space then woods. It was nice the deer came up to the rock wall ate a bit of grass.

Anyways some neighbors are now clearing out the empty space. Feel they can garden and walk their dogs not sure for what really. They are clearing it away and causing some to be upset for not helping.

My mindset is things in the condo I live in I'll take care of, work on the garden outside, and during a snowstorm help a neighbor remove snow from their car.

However, anything behind the rock wall is city property and I enjoy the woods. Plus plowing snow, raking, cutting the grass, and mulching is done by the condo.

Think I am in the wrong for not helping out?
I was thinking of looking for a condo to maybe move to when I get too old to do things like they are doing. I don't think you should be required to help in something you don't want to happen. I like your idea of woods and deer.

Maybe you have a lot of Democrats in your condo. I once heard the difference between a Democrat and a Republican is that a Republican wants something so they set about doing it themselves whereas a Democrat wants something and wants everybody else to help them get it.

If they start mentioning the project in a way to suggest you should help maybe point out to them that you were kind enough not to try to stop the project although you would have preferred it the way it was. To suggest that you should help to change the area to what is to you a less attractive undertaking is really adding salt to your wounds.

Last edited by NCN; 08-04-2016 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-04-2016, 09:39 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I was thinking of looking for a condo to maybe move to when I get too old to do things like they are doing. I don't think you should be required to help in something you don't want to happen. I like your idea of woods and deer.
They are cleaning up cleared space - not removing the woods!! The City cut down trees.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM

633 posts, read 581,912 times
If you are not on the board of a condo and are a bit of a deadbeat in volunteering and helping out it is only an issue if you get a "gray area" issue that you want the condo board to cover. Or ask a special favor.

For instance minor flooding from a neighbor, noisy neighbor, neighbor smoking complaints, requesting insurance info for a closing etc. They will not exactly jump and will get to it when they get to it.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:42 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Run

It could well be common area and as such they should not be modifying it nor for that matter, cleaning it up. The common area is the responsibilty of the association.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate