Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 04:34 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times

Advertisements

What happens if you are shown an apartment by a realtor, and you want to buy the apartment, but this is the first time you have met this realtor and you realize you don't like or trust the realtor?
Are you "stuck" with them?

Just because one realtor showed you the apartment (taking about 20 minutes out of their day), does that obligate you to use that realtor to represent you in the sale if it turns out you find you don't like or trust that realtor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 04:36 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What happens if you are shown an apartment by a realtor, and you want to buy the apartment, but this is the first time you have met this realtor and you realize you don't like or trust the realtor?
Are you "stuck" with them?

Just because one realtor showed you the apartment (taking about 20 minutes out of their day), does that obligate you to use that realtor to represent you in the sale if it turns out you find you don't like or trust that realtor?
Unless you have a buyers agreement to use that agent you are not required to use that agent. What did you not like?

Old 02-13-2016, 04:37 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Thanks.

I don't know. What if they just...give you the creeps?

To be honest, it seems hard to find a trust-worthy realtor...

Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Start interviewing to hire a partner to locate and negotiate a new home for you. Then look at properties.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:49 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
But if she finds another realtor and still want to buy THAT property that the "creepy" realtor showed her, isn't that going to create a commission problem?

PS to OP: Plenty of threads on here about how to find a good realtor. And I agree that it can be difficult - primarily because so many realtors are somewhere between lousy and mediocre. But it absolutely wirth taking the time and effort to find that good one. And they are out there.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:45 AM

988 posts, read 1,739,434 times
Obviously depends on the area OP is looking in for relevant precedent.
That being said, whilst original agent that showed could pursue the commission for procuring cause, the reality is that, absent some sort of signed binding agreement for representation, it most likely wouldn't amount to anything.
The agent wouldn't be suing the OP, it would be a matter of their brokerage suing the other agent's brokerage for their cut; and, in order to prove procuring cause, at least in my neck of the woods, a court would generally require TONS of documented substantive contact with the OP to prove there was an established relationship, and implied agency, with the OP A one-off showing wouldn't be considered enough for procuring cause, but again, this would be a dispute between brokerages with little to no impact upon OP purchasing the apartment.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But if she finds another realtor and still want to buy THAT property that the "creepy" realtor showed her, isn't that going to create a commission problem?

PS to OP: Plenty of threads on here about how to find a good realtor. And I agree that it can be difficult - primarily because so many realtors are somewhere between lousy and mediocre. But it absolutely wirth taking the time and effort to find that good one. And they are out there.

Not necessarily. If there is no written agreement you are not bound to using that agent. But I do agree. Over the years I found about 90% of the realtors I interviewed were just horrible. They just wanted a fast sale. I had a few that if I didn't put in a offer by my second house viewing they made themselves scarce.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Realtor doesn't have a lot of leverage if you never signed a buyer's representation agreement. That said, really, what difference does it make? Sure, they handle some of the negotiations but if you don't have a lot of items that are going to be contentious, and you really want this particular place, does it really matter if this realtor gets the commission? They did, after all, show it to you. You don't ever have to deal with him again after you move in.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:22 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Realtor doesn't have a lot of leverage if you never signed a buyer's representation agreement. That said, really, what difference does it make? Sure, they handle some of the negotiations but if you don't have a lot of items that are going to be contentious, and you really want this particular place, does it really matter if this realtor gets the commission? They did, after all, show it to you. You don't ever have to deal with him again after you move in.
I vigorously disagree with this. Trust and confidence are critical factors when making what is probably the single largest purchase of your life.

Wouid you accept a surgeon whom you don't trust because once the surgery us done, you'll never have to see him/her again?

Old 02-14-2016, 12:44 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
No. You don't have to use that agent. Spend some time trying to find 2-3 buyer agents to interview. Meet with them over coffee and pick one that seems the most competent to you. Don't work with someone that is giving you a bad vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate