Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 08:47 PM

11 posts, read 15,356 times

Advertisements

Single mama of boy that will be starting middle/junior high school next year here, I am looking to get out of brooklyn because the options for schools past elementary for kids that can't pass a test into a magnet are pretty dim (and in a magnet HS you lose a lot of the things about HS that create memories like sports and homecoming etc.) so we are looking to get out. I am looking at 2 coops. One is in the Great Neck North district and one is in the town of Pelham. Both are similarly priced, with similar maintenance fees and would be a similar commute...but which would you choose?

Also, any other towns with Coop buildings on the north or (nice) south shore communities besides Great Neck? It's always good to expand your options and I would like to know what's out there. Only other coop communities were Valley Stream which wouldn't be ideal because I am looking for an upgrade in schools not a lateral/downward move.

So which would your choice be? And which other nice towns have coops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:22 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I think any of the Valley Stream schools would be an upgrade to any of the non-magnet NYC middle and high schools. Other towns with co-ops, Lynbrook, Mineola, Hewlett, Lawrence, North Bellmore. Some of the co-ops are not buildings, but are townhouses like the co-op in Merrick. Long Island has more condos than co-ops.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:35 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Great Neck is a very good choice, when looking for a community that has co ops and a good school district. Roslyn is another North Shore community with a well performing school district.

Oyster Bay is a smaller district that does not have the reputation of neighboring Jericho, Syosset or Locust Valley. However, good students do well there and are the recipients of personal attention - it's difficult to get lost in the shuffle at Oyster Bay Junior-Senior High School.
Oyster Bay has at least two co op communities.

My nephew is currently a junior at OBHS. He is a member of the National Honor Society, and he is quite happy there.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Is the coop in Great Neck Plaza? There is more commercial activity there (Bare Burger, theater, art center/gallery, H-Mart, etc.) within walking distance than in Pelham. I would imagine Pelham (Village) is more bucolic though and an easier commute to Grand Central and an easier drive to the scenic areas in Dutchess/upstate. You can't go wrong with the schools of either.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:22 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Not sure about the other towns, but I personally went from the Brooklyn/Queens transition to Great Neck when I was in 5th grade in the late 80s. It was pretty rough when you are a kid that is not raised in a rich area like Great Neck from birth. Especially when you come from more modest Brooklyn/Queens. Unless your kid turns out to be some super popular athlete-type, the other rich kids will view him as the poor kid from brooklyn living in an apt.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:37 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,337,486 times
If you are looking at Great Neck Terrace, the largest Coop in Great Neck then you will be assigned to Great Neck South, I think you have a chance at a better mix of kids there then Great Neck North. In addition, it is a excellent school and always nationally ranked. Did you visit the schools you are considering?

Switching schools later is tougher and will have challenges no matter where you go. Yes in Great Neck it is entitlement issues you will run into but those exist in many LI areas. I can not comment on Pelham b/c I do not know the area. Good Luck.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 30,330 times
I really like Great Neck too...we looked there for house but was way more than we wanted to spend for the sq ft and ended up in Sysosset. With Great Neck you have the village amentities (town pool, 4 libraries, parkwood sports center, ice rink, street/car/food fairs, etc. definitely more community feel) plus you have Town of North Hempstead amenities (all the facilities we went to were clean and updated) plus you have the Nassau county ammenities which is a nice perk too. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island