Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,339 times

Advertisements

Hello all, can you please let me know if I can change my agent when buying home?
Here are some details: I was working with one agent to find a pre-owned home for me. For some reason, she never asked me to sign buyers purchase agreement. One day she introduced me with one builder for new home. I wasn’t interested in buying new home at that time. We exchanged some basic information. I didn’t like the plan that my agent referred me to so I didn’t move forward with that. Later I worked with my agent to put offers for few pre-owned homes that I liked but all of those offers were rejected. Meanwhile I started meeting that same builder to explore other floorplans for new home in their community. That builder show me some other floorplans, I did negotiation with builder myself for the plan that I liked. This builder and I had multiple meetings and negotiations. All of those discussions with builder were done without any involvement from my original agent that I was working with for pre-owned homes.
Finally I put an offer to this builder for a new home that I liked and they accepted my offer. When I met this builder to give my check for earnest money, builder mentioned to me that she had my original agent’s name in her system as we had met 1st time via that agent.
Can I inform builder that I would like to go with a different agent now instead of that original agent? That original agent and I didn’t have any written agreement/buyer’s agreement. I wasn’t very happy with that agent’s work as well. And throughout 4-5 meetings with builder, that agent wasn’t even involved and didn’t help for any negotiations as well. I would prefer to go with a different agent. Even though that new agent doesn’t have to do much work for me, I prefer to give his name as an agent and let him earn some credit for this.
Can I do this without any issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
What do you want a real estate agent for at this point in the process? You're practically done. Tell the builder that you are not working with that agent and that there is no contract. Tell the builder that you will not require the services of a real estate agent. Manage the remainder of the business yourself; you need to be doing this anyway, it's your money, and it sounds like you are already doing so.

A real estate agent will add no value at this point in the process.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:39 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Once an agent introduces you to a community, that agent is your agent of record. You can still bring in another agent if you want, but you would be responsible for paying that agent. The builder has agreed to pay your original agent for the introduction. Buyer's rep agreements have nothing to do with it.

The agent wasn't with you for those 4-5 meetings because you didn't invite the agent. That's not the agent's fault. You thought you could get a better deal without the agent, and now you're seeing it doesn't work that way.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:56 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
If that agent took you to the builder in the last 3 or 6 months, the builder will put that agent on the contract. Some builders honor it for 3 months and some for 6.

Why would you even want to put another agent down now, and you specifically say that they are not going to do any work. Let the first agent who at least attempted to help you by submitting offers and introducing you to the builder earn the commission.

Did you ask her to attend the meetings and negotiate for you and didn't?

Naima

Last edited by nsumner; 03-24-2016 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 03:10 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,178 times
We only pay the realtor that was registered to you at the time you came in. Most builders the same way.
Im assuming you are wanting to bring in another realtor at this point to get a a kick back from the new one.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
The agent wasn't with you for those 4-5 meetings because you didn't invite the agent. That's not the agent's fault. You thought you could get a better deal without the agent, and now you're seeing it doesn't work that way.
I think I read the same post you did. Where did you read all of that?

Old 03-24-2016, 04:27 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
I think I read the same post you did. Where did you read all of that?
It's written in the italics in the bottom paragraph of the first post.

Old 03-24-2016, 05:43 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
We only pay the realtor that was registered to you at the time you came in. Most builders the same way.
Im assuming you are wanting to bring in another realtor at this point to get a a kick back from the new one.
Bingo

Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,792 times
Real estate agents are the builder's bread and butter. You are only one sale so they certainly won't ignore the agent who can drive more customers.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:13 AM

122 posts, read 163,049 times
So the builder either pays Agent A who made the introduction or Agent B who did nothing? I don't see how the builder paying Agent B helps them in anyway shape or form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate