Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 PM

816 posts, read 1,396,288 times

Advertisements

My goal is to purchase a small apartment building, but as you all know, those are rather expensive. In the meantime, I would like to start flipping cheaper single family homes to save up for a nice down payment for my apartment building. I am ideally looking to purchase homes in the $15k-$30k price range and put $2k-$10k into them for repairs, then flip them. Re-invest my profits and repeat until I have a sizable down payment. I have enough money saved up for a 20% down payment and I'm looking for a hard money or private lender to finance the rest. Do any of you guys have experience with hard money lenders and if so, could you recommend a legit one? I am in Cleveland by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 06:50 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
If you buy at $25,000, put $8,000 into it and resell, what is your sales price, and gross profit after costs.
Assume all cash, for analysis.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
If you buy at $25,000, put $8,000 into it and resell, what is your sales price, and gross profit after costs.
Assume all cash, for analysis.
It really depends on the exact neighborhood or suburb. I would have to do some more digging and research, but I would estimate the sales price could be anywhere from $40k up to $75k

Old 04-27-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
It really depends on the exact neighborhood or suburb. I would have to do some more digging and research, but I would estimate the sales price could be anywhere from $40k up to $75k
$40,000 in that scenario is just not worth it. With costs getting in and out, you make almost nothing, or even lose money. You must get to $60,000+ to even contemplate it.

"Legitimate hard money" made me grin. I have never seen anything but terribly ugly terms.
IMO it is akin to check cashing stores, or pawnshops, without their <sarcasm>charitable and ethical boundaries.</sarcasm>

Old 04-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
$40,000 in that scenario is just not worth it. With costs getting in and out, you make almost nothing, or even lose money. You must get to $60,000+ to even contemplate it.

"Legitimate hard money" made me grin. I have never seen anything but terribly ugly terms.
IMO it is akin to check cashing stores, or pawnshops, without their <sarcasm>charitable and ethical boundaries.</sarcasm>
$60k+ is definitely doable. I guess I was just ballparking it. I would obviously have to consult with my realtor to get a better idea. If you believe hard money is a bad route, do you have any other suggestions for financing?

Old 04-30-2016, 01:50 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Hard money is expensive and the hard money lenders like to be well covered. You are going to be in a $15,000 purchase for 20% down and borrow all the rest? You won't have much skin in the game. I'm not convinced that a hard money lender would be interested because the loan isn't secured.

If you are really good at securing those $15,000 houses that will turn into a $40,000 house, maybe you could wholesale a few of them, make a couple thousand dollars on each one, until you have a larger down payment. Then you could buy and flip using hard money.

For $15,000, that isn't a very desirable house, so maybe you could get one owner financed. Then put the renovations on your credit card.

If you get hard money, you'll have to work fast and get it done and resold fast, or all your "profit" will go to the lender in interest. That is not cheap money. Hard money lenders get a substantial return for taking the risk, doubly so since you don't yet have a history of successful flips.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
The reputable hard money lender I know here does 12% interest with a two-year balloon and I think they want 35% down. They want skin in the game for flippers.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
$60k+ is definitely doable. I guess I was just ballparking it. I would obviously have to consult with my realtor to get a better idea. If you believe hard money is a bad route, do you have any other suggestions for financing?
Honestly, IMO, the hard money guys I see are often using guys like you for bird dogs, with no hesitation to take the property over with the 35% or 40% margin you provided with your down payment when you cannot make the balloon. Some of them even run seminars at high tuition to recruit pigeons to play.
Silverfall's hard money example is actually very appealing compared to some with 60 and 90 day balloons. I am accustomed to seeing 35%--40% and 5 to 8 "points" and a shorter balloon.

How to get rolling?
Cash is king.
If you want to go all in, and I truly don't recommend this, you can take a HELOC on your primary, and get more, better, quicker deals with cash. Risk.... High Risk to play, but more control.

I really wonder if there is enough margin to pay an agent in this affair. You are working with very slim margins.
If you need an agent to locate properties, you need to learn to bird dog. And, if your agent is selling them, you need to negotiate expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate