Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 11:12 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
yes I agree this could be worth it. I did the same when I sold my two-houses ago house. Emptied, cleaned within an inch of it's life, painted and put in new neutral carpet. No other upgrades even though many other units had updated baths and kitchen.

What kind of flooring has been in the other units that have sold? If they have hard flooring, I'd go with wood look laminate, if they have carpet you can go with that. Price to buy and install either of those shouldn't vary by all that much anyway.
This is what you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
I agree with others. Clean real good, get rid of most everything except for the basics. Clutter has to leave. You have a part of the market that wants to buy something that they can redo and make their own. Kind of as a sort of blank slate. Flippers will also want a peak. First time buyers may want to check it out as well.

Do not have them spend money they do not have and go into debt to finance this. Chances are the changes they make might not be what the future buyers will want.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM

745 posts, read 1,285,233 times
I think once we've emptied and cleaned everything and tried cleaning the carpet, we will decide whether replacing it with a new neutral one makes sense. I think it would definitely give it that new-house feeling although it's a lot of carpet including bathrooms and stairs.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:31 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
I think once we've emptied and cleaned everything and tried cleaning the carpet, we will decide whether replacing it with a new neutral one makes sense. I think it would definitely give it that new-house feeling although it's a lot of carpet including bathrooms and stairs.
I wouldn't even bother with replacing the carpet. If the entire house is dated, someone is going to come in and do major renovations which will likely mean new flooring. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. I don't see it netting a return on the investment.

Just price the house accordingly.

However, if you replace the carpet, absolutely do not put carpet in the bathrooms.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:48 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Default It is a townhouse...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I wouldn't even bother with replacing the carpet. If the entire house is dated, someone is going to come in and do major renovations which will likely mean new flooring. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. I don't see it netting a return on the investment.

However, if you replace the carpet, absolutely do not put carpet in the bathrooms.
The odds of a 24 year old town house NOT having really awful (as in gross, visibly worn out /faded) carpet are about 1::1,000,000,000

It is unlikely that anyone will do major renovations of a "townhouse" as it is far more challenging to do anything even a simple as reconfiguring bedrooms /closets in a style of housing that is often done with cost-saving commercial techniques by the initial builders.

Similarly, even if this place in the HOTTEST HIPPEST area known it is unlikely that some one is going to be so design focused that they would not appreciate how much easier it is to move into a place with BRAND NEW CLEAN CARPET than to try to schedule replacement of that mess while their belonging are being moved / stored. Inexpensive carpet should not take a big bite out of the OP parent's projected net equity and it DRAMATICALLY eases the sale for the majority of potential buyers.

Carpet can be cheap -- Cost to Install Carpet - 2016 Cost Calculator (ZipCode based)

You won't break the piggy bank by making smart changes to things that otherwise are a huge negative --

I agree that it is disgusting to consider carpeting the bathrooms.

Last edited by chet everett; 05-04-2016 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post

Good point! I think carpeted bathrooms are gross. Makes it simpler for us.

I just saw a similar 3BR in the same complex asking $497k but they had replaced all carpet with laminate and tile floors and an upgraded fireplace. Our wildcard is the yard size and corner location. In the pre-2007 bubble peak his place was at about $540k so it's not bad all things considered.

Second thoughts: Carpet question remains up in the air but we'll see what the realtor says.

Last edited by mrwumpus; 05-04-2016 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: further thoughts

Old 05-04-2016, 12:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Isn't OC a pretty hot market? Sell as is and let the new owners upgrade it to their own tastes.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Isn't OC a pretty hot market? Sell as is and let the new owners upgrade it to their own tastes.
Yes it is but another wild card here is they're building another 900 homes 1/2 mile down the hill on formerly pretty open space, which still has another year to go and it's ugly and crowded around the constructions. Current residents are fuming because they already all have traffic and parking issues (not to mention school crowding) so I wonder what that will do to values.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post

We bought a house that was hopelessly outdated, but in a buyer's market. We got a tremendous deal and gutted the flooring, including the carpet in the bathroom, and installed tile everywhere. But, that was in a buyer's market. In OC, I would sell as is.

Old 05-04-2016, 01:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
One of my sisters and her husband bought a 1970s era Condo back in 2005. They ended up almost gutting it. They had a wall that seperated the living room and the kitchen removed to give it an open look, creating a sort of great room. they replaced the electrical and plumbing as well. No more accoustic ceiling, walls and ceiling were retextured, new doors, base board, crown molding. No carpet in their home it is all either tile, bamboo, or hard wood. Place looks amazing now. I don't know if they would have redone it to this point if they had not planned on staying there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate