Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:35 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,359,535 times

Advertisements

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ate-says-study
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Not surprising considering how many Chinese there are.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
We have a large number of foreign nationals as borrowers and can only comment the west coast is seeing the bulk of these purchases. I recently read an article discussing the Seattle area has been quietly snapped up with an eye on moving future generations in these homes, with Chinese nationals using EB5 VISA as the vehicle to accomplish this. EB5 was created in the 90's as part of a stimulus package to aid the US economy. This resident status requires a minimum investment of 1M (500K in a targeted area w/ high unemployment) and the creation of 10 jobs. As more and more Chinese nationals jumped on board, the People's Republic of China cracked down on money flowing out of their country. I don't know what the current limit is, but I know it is being watched closely. The creation of Regional Centers across the US to process these VISAs has resulted with over 1000 centers.........I believe California has the largest number.

National builders, such as Lennar are aggressively going after the international buyers (not just Chinese), as are a handful of real estate companies. (Lennar even partners with various Realtors and provides the Realtors with branded material with agent's info in 10 languages). Many of these Realtors are traveling to Europe and the far east working housing shows, try to get the buyers well before they land in the US. And it appears to be working as "international" divisions are growing.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:36 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I worry that the EB-5 program is simply a way for foreign nationals to buy american citizenship for their families.

"The motivations are broad: some are buying second homes, some are buying as they move to the United States on EB-5 investor visas; some are investing for rental and resale."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa

Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I worry that the EB-5 program is simply a way for foreign nationals to buy american citizenship for their families.

"The motivations are broad: some are buying second homes, some are buying as they move to the United States on EB-5 investor visas; some are investing for rental and resale."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EB-5_visa
Isn't that exactly what it is?

Old 05-17-2016, 09:25 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,800,910 times
I just want to throw up after reading that article

Old 05-17-2016, 03:15 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,640,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
We have a large number of foreign nationals as borrowers and can only comment the west coast is seeing the bulk of these purchases. I recently read an article discussing the Seattle area has been quietly snapped up with an eye on moving future generations in these homes, with Chinese nationals using EB5 VISA as the vehicle to accomplish this. EB5 was created in the 90's as part of a stimulus package to aid the US economy. This resident status requires a minimum investment of 1M (500K in a targeted area w/ high unemployment) and the creation of 10 jobs. As more and more Chinese nationals jumped on board, the People's Republic of China cracked down on money flowing out of their country. I don't know what the current limit is, but I know it is being watched closely. The creation of Regional Centers across the US to process these VISAs has resulted with over 1000 centers.........I believe California has the largest number.

National builders, such as Lennar are aggressively going after the international buyers (not just Chinese), as are a handful of real estate companies. (Lennar even partners with various Realtors and provides the Realtors with branded material with agent's info in 10 languages). Many of these Realtors are traveling to Europe and the far east working housing shows, try to get the buyers well before they land in the US. And it appears to be working as "international" divisions are growing.
Eb5, has been abused for decades. I really don't understand why our nation allows these types of abuses.

It was intended to help create jobs and to encourage investment, instead it is used to buy property and rent it out with or without living here.

I think it is time we reduce the H1b end EB5 and ring fence some of these more egregious abuses.

I am fine with people moving to the USA, my concern is with H1b being used to hire cheaply and eb5 being used as a way to live here rather than contribute jobs etc.

It is not only the Chinese using this loophole, lots of EU members use it too.

Oh and meanwhile if I wan to own a home in China I have to actually live there and jump through hoops. it should be like for like at the very least.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I worry that the EB-5 program is simply a way for foreign nationals to buy american citizenship for their families. [/url]
But isn't that what America is all about? Would you rather have millionaire foreign land owners who bought their US citizenship or a bunch of Section 8 renters who are Americans by right in your neighborhood?

I could care less if they bought their citizenship through a loophole so long as they have money.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:47 PM

257 posts, read 491,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
It was intended to help create jobs and to encourage investment, instead it is used to buy property and rent it out with or without living here.
It doesn't matter what the ethnicity is, it's a challenge for locals when the demographics change drastically. Foreigners come that don't want to assimilate much less learn how to speak English. We live in CA for over 20 years and loved the city we lived in. Unfortunately, foreign wealth came in and started putting up restaurants with foreign signs we couldn't read, and we started getting neighbors we cannot communicate with cuz they don't speak English. It was very sad for us.. we started to feel like WE lived in a foreign city.. when we were there first! And that's one of the primary reason we left the state.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:23 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Eb5, has been abused for decades. I really don't understand why our nation allows these types of abuses.

Reading the wiki article, it does not appear that a huge number of people use EB-5, so the US is regularly weakening restrictions. Only 1M needs to be invested by the applicant, but then there is some requirement that there is proof that this has saved 10 american jobs. Huh? (I just envision this crazy scenario of some terrorists using blood money to buy citizenship for 'pretend' families who then move to the heartland to plan their operations. I read too many novels I guess.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate