Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 PM

17 posts, read 25,647 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

First time in this sub-forum but I thought I would ask for a little help. My parents are under contract for a home and just got done with inspections in Arizona and we are about to fill out the BINSR. There are a lot of little minor things that can really be done by myself next time I visit them but I wanted to see what you guys thought were issues that we should stick to our guns about and hopefully get the seller to agree to.

1. It has a tile roof and some of the mortar cap joints looks like it has a bit of cracking on the cement and apparently need to be filled in.
2. They have a very small 8 foot by 4 foot Spool that has a light not working, a small crack in the pebble tech and a little cracking on the side concrete around the pool. Also don't know when it was last serviced, but it shows a new pump as of 2015. We were thinking about a service being done on it and checking the whole system. One of the pop up cleaning system doesn't automatically go back down.
3. Two of the toilets wiggle and have some play in them.
4. Small holes and cracks in the exterior stucco.
5. 3 windows have inner seals that have been worn out.
6. Service on Heating and Cooling to make sure the line is not backed up for the drain because it seems to have a little rust in the pan indicating water at one time was settled in the drain pan.
7. Pool Saftey issue. The auto closing sliding door to patio doesn't close.
8. The back door fence auto close needs to be adjusted to close.
9. Irrigation system is missing small caps on the end of the line so water sprays. (Not really an issue to me becuase it's a cheap fix)

That is really it in terms of issues we found. Some of the items are so minor so I don't even want to waste my time but I was thinking of putting it in there just to see if we can get a credit for those and mainly focus on them fixing the Pool related issues and patio doors, HVAC checking, and Toilets for sure.

Would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. I guess it's a bit different than Texas because we could always ask for things to fix and a concession, but I am being told with the BINSR you just tell them the list of repairs or warranted items and then the seller comes back. You don't really ask for fixing and then concession on top of it.

So what would you tier in the must fixes on this house. Thanks

Last edited by kghorbani; 06-12-2016 at 09:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 09:19 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,199,006 times
I would insist on 3, 7 and 8. The pool access issues are probably legal requirements for the homeowners insurance.

The rest? Kind of like wear and tear.

Remember that home inspectors make a living by finding problems to point out to the people who are paying them. Your parents are buying a used house, so not every single thing will need to be fixed by the seller. It's great that you can fix most yourself.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:28 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,745,691 times
I don't see anything that truly affects health & safety in a major way - if you want to get the a/c / pool & roof checked by a pro, that's on you, not the seller - you can call any pro you want to look at things during the inspection period.

You don't say where you are in AZ, or the price point - that could make a huge difference - on a sub $250k house in my area, you'ld be lucky to get a house under contract period & a seller likely wouldn't fix anything unless it kept the home from financing. Which might include things like your pool gate, but the latches for those aren't even $50 items & most people without kids present wouldn't care.

The mortar on the tile roof is just for appearances sake & doesn't keep you dry.. the cracks in stucco are normal - you can caulk & paint, but they're coming back.. loose toilets = new flanges & wax rings, maybe $100 handyman repair.. the windows might be the most expensive repair, but they're not urgent in our climate.. whenever you get tired of looking at them, you have them swapped..

Typical stuff in a used house..

Old 06-13-2016, 10:25 AM

17 posts, read 25,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I don't see anything that truly affects health & safety in a major way - if you want to get the a/c / pool & roof checked by a pro, that's on you, not the seller - you can call any pro you want to look at things during the inspection period.

You don't say where you are in AZ, or the price point - that could make a huge difference - on a sub $250k house in my area, you'ld be lucky to get a house under contract period & a seller likely wouldn't fix anything unless it kept the home from financing. Which might include things like your pool gate, but the latches for those aren't even $50 items & most people without kids present wouldn't care.

The mortar on the tile roof is just for appearances sake & doesn't keep you dry.. the cracks in stucco are normal - you can caulk & paint, but they're coming back.. loose toilets = new flanges & wax rings, maybe $100 handyman repair.. the windows might be the most expensive repair, but they're not urgent in our climate.. whenever you get tired of looking at them, you have them swapped..

Typical stuff in a used house..
Thanks for the information. The house they are getting was listed for 227 but we bid 228 to get it becuase my parents really liked it and as you stated the market is crazy and everyone is putting up offers on these houses. We won over a few other offers to get it.

It's in the Ahwatukee area.

Old 06-13-2016, 10:30 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,745,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kghorbani View Post
Thanks for the information. The house they are getting was listed for 227 but we bid 228 to get it becuase my parents really liked it and as you stated the market is crazy and everyone is putting up offers on these houses. We won over a few other offers to get it.

It's in the Ahwatukee area.

That's a good area & at that price-point, I'd try not to fuss too much. Your parents aren't likely to lose any money if they own property there for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate