Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 PM

488 posts, read 656,706 times

Advertisements

Is this property in NC? People with horses just love NC for some reason. You need to find a realtor who specializes in horse properties and market it to them, even if there is no barn or fence. Back when I owned horses, I bought a house in TN that needed massive repairs just because it had lots of land and would work for my purposes. One of the topics on a chat board I frequent is lamenting the fact that people indiscriminately clear land to build a new home instead of recycling property that has a teardown house on it.

You might check with an outfit like www.horseproperties.net or www.equine.com that lists land and homes all over the US. There's one on Horse Properties right now as "intimate" with 5 acres for $85K in Scotland County, NC. Intimate is code word for tiny, BTW. There are also many horse-oriented forums that have classified ad areas.

You have to market to the right people to sell your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 06:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,798,139 times
Thanks for the link... it was fun to imagine what if.

I need a horse property because I need a rural with a lot of out buildings... not for horses but a home for my cars...

Amazing how much prices drop outside the SF Bay Area.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 8,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaHappy View Post
Is this property in NC? People with horses just love NC for some reason. You need to find a realtor who specializes in horse properties and market it to them, even if there is no barn or fence. Back when I owned horses, I bought a house in TN that needed massive repairs just because it had lots of land and would work for my purposes. One of the topics on a chat board I frequent is lamenting the fact that people indiscriminately clear land to build a new home instead of recycling property that has a teardown house on it.

You might check with an outfit like www.horseproperties.net or www.equine.com that lists land and homes all over the US. There's one on Horse Properties right now as "intimate" with 5 acres for $85K in Scotland County, NC. Intimate is code word for tiny, BTW. There are also many horse-oriented forums that have classified ad areas.

You have to market to the right people to sell your property.
It is in NC and thanks for that suggestion. And I've felt all along that my realtor has never identified target buyers and I think that's another area she's dropped the ball on.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 AM

51,679 posts, read 25,940,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePride View Post
It is in NC and thanks for that suggestion. And I've felt all along that my realtor has never identified target buyers and I think that's another area she's dropped the ball on.
Identifying and marketing to target buyers is essential.

When we sold our last home, our realtor told us that we would like sell to a single person or couple without kids as we only had one bathroom for all the bedrooms.

We worked with the stager to make it clear that this was a home for adults. Workout room instead of playroom, for example.

Realtor marketed our home as appealing to adults who valued privacy, yet wanted to be close enough to walk to neighborhood restaurants and bars, nearby running trails, etc.

Buyers were a professional couple without kids.

Go figure.

Time to wrap it up with this agent as her approach is not working.

Make sure whoever you select next has had some success with and plans for how to market your unique property.

Good luck.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,560,550 times
Is the property zoned as residential? Single family dwelling only? Or commercial? Is it a wetland tgat can nit be developed? What would it cost you to subdivide it? The location and any zoning will determine potential buyer. It is pretty hard to get good price, if you do not know what you have.

If the house is the problem, give house away for hauling off.

If it was me, I'd get that house off and clean up site. Then go to land assessment office which determines tax valuation and apply for reduction in property taxes.....and sit on it as an investment that will pay off later. You might qualify for blight removal credit and get a tax break. Or the local bank might give you a loan to develop it to improve the neighborhood.

If you are not willing to do that or not interested in future money, sell it for a nickle more than you have into it ($0 gift + whatever you put into it) take all the info to your tax preparer and move on.

Or sell it to current renter for zero down and their current rent payment and carry the contract yourself.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:58 PM

11 posts, read 8,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Is the property zoned as residential? Single family dwelling only? Or commercial? Is it a wetland tgat can nit be developed? What would it cost you to subdivide it? The location and any zoning will determine potential buyer. It is pretty hard to get good price, if you do not know what you have.

If the house is the problem, give house away for hauling off.

If it was me, I'd get that house off and clean up site. Then go to land assessment office which determines tax valuation and apply for reduction in property taxes.....and sit on it as an investment that will pay off later. You might qualify for blight removal credit and get a tax break. Or the local bank might give you a loan to develop it to improve the neighborhood.

If you are not willing to do that or not interested in future money, sell it for a nickle more than you have into it ($0 gift + whatever you put into it) take all the info to your tax preparer and move on.

Or sell it to current renter for zero down and their current rent payment and carry the contract yourself.
Honestly, based on my brief experience with the property and tenant and previous experience with a rental property, I don't desire to keep the property for any longer than I have to in order to get it sold.

The property is zoned as residential single family, but could be potentially developed as a single family or even commercial. I have talked with someone in our local planning department, but before any kind of rezoning or subdivision of the parcel would be granted the board who approves these types of requests would require a redevelopment plan which of course would cost money.

But I think my best course of action at this point before moving forward is to find another realtor and consult with them to come up with a plan and target buyer for the property.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:44 AM

51,679 posts, read 25,940,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggiePride View Post

But I think my best course of action at this point before moving forward is to find another realtor and consult with them to come up with a plan and target buyer for the property.
I think this is a great idea. Be sure to ask potential agents about their experience in marketing similar properties and what they do to connect with potential buyers besides the MLS listing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate