Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:02 PM

586 posts, read 554,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Just for grins (and not to start any arguments!) --

What are things that you think most people like in houses that you don't, and what things attract you that you think most people consider turn-offs?

For example, I personally won't even consider buying a home with an in-ground swimming pool, and I strongly dislike stainless steel appliances, even though I know they are fashionable. I also prefer a natural, wooded type of "landscaping", so manicured lawns turn me off, too.

And in the past when I was looking at a suburban lot, I definitely preferred smaller lots to larger ones.
I LIKE...
- wood floors that most people consider to need refinishing
- terra cotta tile in a sunroom
- bright colors
- yards that are small and low-maintenance, or left to grow wild
- back yards that aren't necessary perfect for kids to play soccer, etc
- a pool
- Corian, depending on the color
- parquet flooring
- carpet in bedrooms or a master
- gas cooking

I DON'T LIKE...
- Formica unless it's a decent fit with the house price
- bushes/trees all over the front of the house so that it's dark
- builder-grade carpet, especially on stairs
- stainless steel sinks, especially shallow ones, dual basin ones or the ones in corners
- cheap faucets
- cooktops
- cabinets that don't go to ceiling
- overdone window treatments, or small-slat blinds

I don't care either way about popcorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 12:08 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm big on garages. First thing I look at in a home is the garage and whether it's big enough to put a lift, my tools and 3 or 4 project cars/restorations inside.

I was highly disappointed to find that most, if not all, realtors did not include an interior garage photo. Had to go see the house in person to see the garage, and on a few houses it was make or break.
I've had to reject two homes my wife liked due to insufficient garage size. It's the first place I look at and I use my 33' tape measure. Too small and I don't need to see the rest of the house.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:39 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Some people love homeowners associations but I consider them an EXTREME negative. HOAs go against freedom and individualism.

Yes I understand they're the people who would prevent my neighbor from having a couch in his front yard. But they're also the people who tell me I can't fly an American flag in front of my house unless its a federal holiday (this kind of stuff has been all over the news), that I can't have a large Trump sign in my yard, that I can't have a sign that says "Beware of owner" etc. HOAs also ensure that all houses look the same and there is no individual character to reflect the individual residents. Many would even dictate the color of your fence, the number of flower pots you have, the color of your mailbox, the kinds of trees you can plant in the yard, etc.

The unfortunate thing is that its harder and harder to avoid HOAs now since it appears every newly developed neighborhood has one.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:47 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
A "walkable" neighborhood. Sure, I'd like to be able to walk to some places, but not living on top of neighbors is more important to me. That means a neighborhood outside of the main town and without sidewalks.

2 story family rooms. Lots of people hate them. Not me. We have some artwork, (not some crap from Hobby Lobby) that requires a big wall. One piece hangs vertically and is about 4' x 8'. The other hangs horizontally and is a similar size. Both pieces are meaningful to us and hang nicely on our 2 story walls. They would look stupid on smaller walls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate