Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 06:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Interesting point. But all isn't lost there, though, as any unpaid fines/fees remain with the unit, making any such unit less attractive to potential buyers (that's certainly a deterrent for many). In fact, in the unit I'm looking into, I couldn't even close on the unit if there were any outstanding/unpaid HOA fees.
We just sold our townhouse and the HOA demanded $2k Cash/check from incoming buyer to frontload HOA fees in case of future nonpayment. This is pretty substantial cost as it is a first-time home buyer/FHA loan type development.

HAPPY to get out of the HOA. Sick of dog poop. Moved to a neighborhood without one.

HATES
HOA (fees aren't worth services, can join a pool or pay for mowing/insurance MUCH cheaper myself)
Large bathroom/large tub (Seriously, do people live in the bathroom? In one house bathroom was bigger than the kitchen, waste of space)
Granite (I always want to wipe up the "spill" looks so messy to me)
Bedrooms off the living room
WTW Carpet (just gross, dirty)

LOVE
Natural yard
Older home with character
White kitchen cabinets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Little things I like and would adjust my selling price up?

Fiber Optic Line brought to multiple rooms
Err.... Why?

I live in a universe of WiFi, COAX, and CAT6. I stream video over gigabit Ethernet and use WiFi for everything else. You'd need a true mansion to bump into the 100 meter gigabit Ethernet limitation where you might want fiber. The 6,000 square foot plastic box on the cul-de-sac certainly doesn't need it. It needs a couple of Power over Ethernet WiFi repeaters to get 802.11ac everywhere.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:25 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Just for grins (and not to start any arguments!) --

What are things that you think most people like in houses that you don't, and what things attract you that you think most people consider turn-offs?
Don't like

granite everywhere...especially ugly granite.

Vinyl siding....especially over wood siding on old homes....what a waste. I don't understand how people think that vinyl on the floor is "cheap" while vinyl on the side of your house is an upgrade.

Garage storm shelter. Great way to get trapped under a collapsed home and your exposed to flooding.

HOAs....

Trees with nuts, balls, etc. (fruit that you can eat is great)

Homes that are way out of place design wise. Like adobe outside the SW, Italian Villa Stucco outside of FL/CA etc, Log Cabins not in the mountains, A-frames in the south, etc etc. The home has to fit the environment.

Homes built with no concept of design style where they simply mix and match features of different styles that results in these Tudor-Cottage-Castle-Victorian-French Chateau monstrosities with gables randomly tossed on, poorly proportioned windows/doors and topped off with 4 different types of siding. Seriously....

Older homes....i don't like cookie cutter additions.

water well

attics

Old 06-29-2016, 08:34 AM

97 posts, read 139,002 times
Dislikes:

Stainless steel appliances
Large soaker/jetted bathtubs - would rather just have a nice big walk-in shower
Beige

Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
I think a lot of the pros and cons have a lot to do with the price point one would be looking in as well as the locale.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:00 AM

500 posts, read 583,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I'm surprised at the number of people who don't like enclosed toilets, which mostly found in the master bath. I've had several houses with one and I think they're great. It allows the rest of the bathroom to be used while you're spending some quality time in there. You can always leave the door open if no one else is in the area.

One minus I haven't seen mentioned is a master bathroom that's open to the master bedroom. My last house was set up like that and our offer required the builder to install a door. Our winter house was also like that and we immediately installed a door. I can't think of any reason why anyone wouldn't want a door leading into the master bath. If someone gets up early, the sleeping partner can see the lights and hear the water running. It's just one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
I love my enclosed toilet in the master bath!
I love my separate vanities as well.

Would NOT buy a house with no door between the master bath and the bedroom! If one can be installed and everything else is perfect, it is a go. If not, no thanks!

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I mean, why waste money in putting in or redoing something that a potential buyer might just rip out and replace anyway? Perhaps it would be smarter to offer some kind of "redecorating rebate" instead? (Just a thought. )
I'm not paying someone to redecorate their home. Anyone who expects that can pound sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Vinyl siding....especially over wood siding on old homes....what a waste. I don't understand how people think that vinyl on the floor is "cheap" while vinyl on the side of your house is an upgrade.
LOL, I never thought of it that way. I hate to see vinyl on an older home, too. And in everyday use, vinyl siding needs replacing only slightly less often than a good paint job needs re-painting.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Just for grins (and not to start any arguments!) --

What are things that you think most people like in houses that you don't, and what things attract you that you think most people consider turn-offs?

For example, I personally won't even consider buying a home with an in-ground swimming pool, and I strongly dislike stainless steel appliances, even though I know they are fashionable. I also prefer a natural, wooded type of "landscaping", so manicured lawns turn me off, too.

And in the past when I was looking at a suburban lot, I definitely preferred smaller lots to larger ones.

you and I are on the exact SAME page as far as swimming pools (yech!!) and natural landscaping.....

appliances... makes no difference to me, so long as they work and work well.....

and with 5 dogs, a larger lot would work better for me than a smaller one

I will add stairs to the discussion.... I have had a number of knee and hip surgeries over the years and am facing a hip replacement in the next few months, so even when I bought my current house 12 years ago, I refused to look at anything but ranches.... no splits and no 2-stories.....

ETA: hate, loathe and DESPISE carpeting.... only hard surface flooring for me, thankyouverymuch!!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Triple garages, with one big enough to hold a 737.

Going through life screaming "ostentation!" is not a path to happiness.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:00 PM

118 posts, read 131,925 times
Open concept, stainless steel appliances, new construction cookie cutter houses and lot that doesn't have trees around.
I hate them, hate them, hate them!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate