Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:25 PM

548 posts, read 1,037,835 times

Advertisements

We lost our house due to a fire towards the end of May. We decided to not rebuild since we have many animals and some livestock. We found a house however the septic did not pass inspection. The sellers agreed to have it pumped. We had it reinspected today and it failed inspection again. The lateral lines are bad and it might need some kind of lift on it. Our relator will ask the seller's to fix the septic. We are sure the lender won't approve the loan without it being fixed. The sellers are moving to Texas and have found a house they have an offer on. Closing on this house is August 5. We don't really want to walk away because this house has every thing we want in a house. I am pretty sure our only option if they do not fix it is to fix it ourselves. This will be a conventional loan so I have no idea how picky they will be if it isn't fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 05:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Can you get the cash from the sellers and fix it yourself? Are they refusing to fix it? That's a deal breaker. literally. It really needs to be fixed before closing.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:44 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Plenty of time for them to fix it before August 5.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Working septic system will be required by lenders. Most require an inspection report of condition.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:52 PM

It works but if there were more than the 3 people it would easily become over loaded. We don't have company often but when we do it is our 3 adult children their spouses and our 6 grandchildren. We are going to look for a back up house. We should know in the next 48 hours if they plan on fixing it.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
If he wants to sell it, he'll fix it. It won't be any different with the next buyer.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:24 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
If a septic system backs up when more than three people live there, has a problem.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:44 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If he wants to sell it, he'll fix it. It won't be any different with the next buyer.

That's likely correct. Banks will not place mortgages on properties with inoperative or failing septic systems.

There are a couple loan programs out there which you can get but I'd knock that off the purchase price.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:16 PM

So the seller came back with an offer to have a couple of the lateral lines dug up and if there is no problem we pay for the digging if there is they pay for it. I am getting really frustrated with the whole thing. We gave a full price offer and they have continuously fought back on every thing we asked for. I would walk but there are not any houses that have all that this one has. We are currently living in a motel room and really it SUCKS. I appreciate having a place to sleep every night but need a house again.

This septic tank was cleaned out but when the inspector checked it again the water was running over the baffles. He thinks the lateral lines are full of sludge.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,031,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
So the seller came back with an offer to have a couple of the lateral lines dug up and if there is no problem we pay for the digging if there is they pay for it. I am getting really frustrated with the whole thing. We gave a full price offer and they have continuously fought back on every thing we asked for. I would walk but there are not any houses that have all that this one has. We are currently living in a motel room and really it SUCKS. I appreciate having a place to sleep every night but need a house again.

This septic tank was cleaned out but when the inspector checked it again the water was running over the baffles. He thinks the lateral lines are full of sludge.
Just make sure you get to choose the digger and that they dig up one of the lower lying lines and one higher and one in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate