Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 02:31 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,233,292 times

Advertisements

I am listing my house next week. I will, of course, get a professional agent and photographer. I am trying to "stage" myself. Your thoughts?? Too cluttered? 1800 sq ft w/3 bed, 3 bath, bsmt unfinished, bonus room.
Attached Thumbnails
My house pics - selling advice?-pics1.jpg   My house pics - selling advice?-picss2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 03:05 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
I assume you are joking about "too cluttered." It looks positively sterile. I think you've got the first part of staging down--removing excess stuff, but now you need to add some color and decorative elements back in. If I'm being perfectly honest--it's just blah.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I don't think its too cluttered at all. What's in the rooms now wouldn't make me any less likely to want to view your place (which seems nice, btw).

Old 07-11-2016, 03:30 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
The rooms look fine. Yes, you can add a few decorative touches if you want, but having too little stuff out is always going to be better than too much. If you have a pretty bowl, you could put it on the counter in the bathroom. A couple of bright throw pillows for that sofa that your cute kid is on since he won't be one it for decoration in the professional photos. :-)

At this point, I wouldn't bother to hang artwork - you've either avoided making holes in the wall or you've patched and touched up any holes. No point in adding any now.

Make sure toilet seats are closed in photos. If you can borrow solid color towels and bedding for the kids rooms, that will photograph better (be less distracting to the eye).

Old 07-11-2016, 04:28 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Can't see the photos well enough to tell anything.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:06 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,060,634 times
Be sure the beds are made nice and tight for the photos, towels are straight, toilets seats down and kids step is moved out of view. I would also untie the curtains that are gathered in the middle and let them hang normally. The closets look great but you could use a few decorative touches like a pretty bowl on the coffee table, some flowers on a kitchen counter and such.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:28 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmama50 View Post
Be sure the beds are made nice and tight for the photos, towels are straight, toilets seats down and kids step is moved out of view. I would also untie the curtains that are gathered in the middle and let them hang normally. The closets look great but you could use a few decorative touches like a pretty bowl on the coffee table, some flowers on a kitchen counter and such.
This. Kitchen photos? A couple of houseplants would be a good idea.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
I'm not a big fan of beds against the corner of the room even in kids room unless they fall out of bed a lot.

It's looks like the room with the fireplace is the living room and then the room with the child is a family room, if so that room hardly has any furniture and looks very big and barren.

You have one bathroom pictured twice, and there is no clutter.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:06 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Can't see the photos well enough to tell anything.
Click on the picture 3 times to see the biggest view.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:21 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Several of your photos seem to focus on the furnishings instead of the rooms. So look for architectural features like the fireplace, windows, perhaps hardwood floors, etc., and try for shots which show the size of the rooms rather than just one corner.

If you can add more even light, yet avoid glare, the pictures will be better. Sprucing things up a bit - you've received good suggestions here - would also be helpful.

Tidy up the child's bed and prop a big Teddy bear against the pillow - instant warmth and recognition that this bedroom would work well for a child. Focus on the fireplace - maybe a largish vase of flowers (artificial is fine for this purpose) on the hearth or mantel, or a pair on inexpensive matching candlesticks. Matching throw pillows on the sofa, nicely plumped, one at each end. If you don't have these "props" already, check out the thrift shops.

Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate