Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 09:09 AM

455 posts, read 389,407 times

Advertisements

Neighbor put their house on the market. Our houses are old and close together. Since I bought the house in 2005, there has always been a gate attaching both our houses. There is a fence running down the back of the property clearly dividing the properties. Without getting into all the issues the buyer of the house is freaking out about this "shared" gate. Basically he would ned to come through our gate to get to the side of his house. No big deal for us and we have been willing to ignore that per the fence line separating the boundary has taken about 2-3 feet of our front yard. Well a surveyor shows up the other day and clearly marks that yes indeed, neighbor house has crossed over into our property with their front lawn. Like I said I'm leaving out the issues but let's say the interactions with both sellers (neighbor) and buyers (new neighbors) has been unpleasant.

So now what? We have been so mellow and accommodating and these people have been jerks. We're so not involved in any of their drama and now I just want to say, "you know what, dig up your lawn, rip out the sprinklers, we're tearing down the "shared" gate and we're building a fence down the whole property line". Problem solved. I hate to be this way but they have just pushed every button and my "let it be" attitude is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 AM

13,135 posts, read 21,050,414 times
Take it to an attorney and have them explain the next steps. Although you own the property, there is a possibility that time and circumstances has granted them a Prescriptive Easement over your land. The issue is fact and detail based so it's time for an attorney.

(Note: A prescriptive easement is not adverse possession or a deeded easement)

Old 07-14-2016, 09:57 AM

455 posts, read 465,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Take it to an attorney and have them explain the next steps. Although you own the property, there is a possibility that time and circumstances has granted them a Prescriptive Easement over your land. The issue is fact and detail based so it's time for an attorney.

(Note: A prescriptive easement is not adverse possession or a deeded easement)
Ditto! An attorney is your next step.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:29 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,881,046 times
A 3rd vote for attorney.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,477,336 times
While I am not going to disagree that it would be wise of the OP to talk to an attorney, I know from experience that often when new folks move-in they might be a little stressed and it is worth trying to calm things down instead of escalation.

Many towns have some kind of "alternative property dispute" process that may involve a trained mediator that can help de-escalate this at low / no cost -- worth exploring that possibility.

There is a long history of folks blowing these things way out of propotion and it would be a shame to not try to make peace before getting a new fence.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,656 posts, read 81,386,567 times
I agree with the attorney and acting now. The time period required in your state for the Prescriptive Easement can include multiple users, so if it goes on for this new owner it will add to the time it was used by the previous owner.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:39 AM

280 posts, read 250,812 times
I love how everyone's first option is rack up attorney fees. Considering this is not a unique situation the city should have a process to resolve it.

Most neighbors are pretty reasonable. I am sure that tensions are high between the buyer and seller and you are getting the spill over from that. While every situation is different, I highly doubt that the new owners want to start off in their new place on a bad note with someone they are going to live next to foreseeable future.

Are they aware that you have every right to what you mentioned (ripping everything out)? And when you say "freak out" what is that mean?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:29 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,638,728 times
So it looks like the buyer found out about the property line and is mad at the seller and the loan commitment is coming close to ending and the buyer already spent money getting to this point....and the seller is, essentially, mad back. He may be unreasonable in saying it's always been like this so tough on the buyer. And the thing is, there can be issues with closing if there are survey issues.

I do understand spillover. I'm guessing something like the seller wants you to share in the expense of a fence.

At any rate, for the buyer .... and consequently the seller....time is of the essence. However, you could back off from getting sucked into that....except for the spillover going on so long it's now getting to you.

You may indeed need something legal and binding set down by a third party. In fact, even if you do decide on your own remedy of putting in a fence, you should get a consult at least to be sure you will be legally okay with that given the unusual circumstances.

You might also take a meditative breather away from your neighborhood. Then if you you like, choose a fence, get your front yard back, etc but from a place of a bit more blissful 'ah, silly neighbors, this is what I need for my peace' attitude.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,250,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
Neighbor put their house on the market. Our houses are old and close together. Since I bought the house in 2005, there has always been a gate attaching both our houses. There is a fence running down the back of the property clearly dividing the properties. Without getting into all the issues the buyer of the house is freaking out about this "shared" gate. Basically he would ned to come through our gate to get to the side of his house. No big deal for us and we have been willing to ignore that per the fence line separating the boundary has taken about 2-3 feet of our front yard. Well a surveyor shows up the other day and clearly marks that yes indeed, neighbor house has crossed over into our property with their front lawn. Like I said I'm leaving out the issues but let's say the interactions with both sellers (neighbor) and buyers (new neighbors) has been unpleasant.

So now what? We have been so mellow and accommodating and these people have been jerks. We're so not involved in any of their drama and now I just want to say, "you know what, dig up your lawn, rip out the sprinklers, we're tearing down the "shared" gate and we're building a fence down the whole property line". Problem solved. I hate to be this way but they have just pushed every button and my "let it be" attitude is gone.
I would certainly do this, before they complete sale.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:58 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,916,577 times
Unless you have need for using the land, lease the land to the buyer for a nominal sum to protect your property rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate