Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 04:29 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,590,451 times

Advertisements

You already called management once, and they failed to really solve the problem. I'd call City code Enforcement without hesitation. In fact I had to do it once myself and guess what? Problem Solved!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:32 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,294,198 times
I don't get why it would be your responsibility to call the property manager. That's the owner's job.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
I don't get why it would be your responsibility to call the property manager. That's the owner's job.
Because the owner lives out of town and isn't present to see the neglect, and the property manager apparently isn't taking care of it like they should.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:28 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,603,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I'm going to be the lone pariah here.

If weeds and leaves are the worst offense that your neighbors can give you then you don't have a damn thing to complain about. I am glad that you don't live in my neighborhood. We call it 'the neighborhood of low expectations' because nobody gives a rip about someone else's lawn height, whose car is parked on the street, and we're even tolerant of noise. And we all get along and live our lives peacefully, and several of the men - my husband included - help each other out with kinds of things.

And in my city there is no code requirement on lawn care. They have more important things to do.
You are NOT the lone pariah here. Your "live and let live" ethic is commendable.

Don in Austin

Old 07-15-2016, 07:52 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,294,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
You are NOT the lone pariah here. Your "live and let live" ethic is commendable.

Don in Austin
Believe me when I say I am generally the same way. I realize that there are much bigger issues in the world and in my own life. I just wanted some advice on how to handle this. It doesn't ruin my day or anything, I'm just sick of basically having to step into this mess everyone I get in or out of my car. I'm not a vindictive person and I hope I didn't come off that way.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:48 PM

183 posts, read 211,040 times
Can you put up a fence?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:25 AM

56 posts, read 98,569 times
Have you ever tried having a chat with your neighbor? I know you said that they are not approachable, but 4 years seems like a long time to not try to be on some sort of friendly terms with them. If the worst thing I could say about my next door neighbors is an unkempt portion of the lawn and a screen lying on the ground, then I would be jumping for joy. Is there something else bothering you about your neighbors, and this is your breaking point?

At any rate, approachable or not, I would walk over and introduce myself (if this has never been done), and ask if we could talk about the side of the yard that we share. Maybe you could agree to pitch in if they made some sort of effort? You did you say that you didn't have a personal problem with them, so why not give it a try?

Sometimes you just have to choose your battles with your neighbors.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:12 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,604,163 times
You're getting bent out of shape by a bit of tall grass next door and a window screen on the ground? I wish I was so lucky. The renters next door to me have a backyard half full of many kinds of weeds and an overgrown blackberry jungle. The weeds spread their seeds onto my place and I have to pull thousands of them every year. They stack big bags of rotting garbage next to the property line and let it go for 8 months last time, before hauling it. The landlord has no property manager and he's mostly off on international vacations. I've never seen him visit the property since these tenants moved here. Prior to this bunch, there was a household of drug addicts and thieves living there. You could have it much worse, if another set of tenants moved next to you.

Old 07-16-2016, 04:16 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,007,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Not true if the city, town or village requires cutting.
We have limits for fire hazards which are sporadically enforced but that doesn't mean it ever looks nice.

We have CC&Rs even in non HOA communities which typically, but not always, have rules on landscape maintenance and a process to enforce the rules.

But the city right next to mine has NO method to enforce the rules without an HOA. Someone would have to sue the homeowner to get them to follow the rules.

And no, I do not live in an HOA community. My point is that if what your neighbors yard looks like is important to you, you should research the rules and process to enforce them before buying a house. HOAs are more likely to suit these people.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:59 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,294,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because the owner lives out of town and isn't present to see the neglect
Still, it's his/her responsibility to fix. It isn't the neighbor's responsibility to call someone to fix it. The neighbor just notifies the responsible party of the issue, and if I were her, I would ask the owner to implement some sort of monitoring and regular reporting back to the owner. The owner is at fault for not knowing what's going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate