Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,333,158 times

Advertisements

They haven't even proven that there is mold, but if they call out a mold inspection company, there probably will be.

IMO a lot of the mold inspection business is very shady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelace View Post
The letter was from the buyer asking for the money by July 20 otherwise he will be contacting an attorney.
How does the buyer know your new address (is it a second home you already owned)? Is the address available on an internet search? Did they use a private investigator to find you? They now know where you live 24/7 or is it a P.O. Box?

Contacting you directly (instead of through the buyer's agent or your listing agent) seems like an intimidation tactic. Do not reply to it directly. It's good you're contacting an attorney soon; have the attorney handle the correspondence and/or advise you.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:55 AM

41,998 posts, read 75,328,187 times
Buy a bottle of bleach and leave it on the front porch. A housewarming gift for the new owner.

You can't disclose something you don't know about. Don't sweat this.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,409,707 times
DO NOT PAY AND DO NOT GET AN ATTORNEY YET. They haven't even spoken with an attorney yet. When they do, their attorney will likely say "you guys have no case". I agree with the other posters- you had no knowledge, therefore nothing to disclose. Your agent is dumb for telling you that you are in the wrong here. The buyers were aware of the leak, which makes their case even weaker.

At least wait until they've hired an attorney before you start racking up hourly fees.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:25 AM

17,154 posts, read 12,991,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Even if there is mold there nine thousand bucks sounds like way too much to take care of mold caused by a leak under a kitchen sink. We have done mold remediation on fixers and that price sounds outrageous.

You can't disclose what you don't know and can't be expected to tear things apart and look for possible mold. They knew about the leak under the sink even if you had forgotten about it. They bought the house knowing there was water leaking there. Where there is water leaking mold is a possibility. They chose not to address it. Not much you could have done.
Agreed. Here in Texas, general home inspectors are not allowed to disclose the presence of mold, even if they see it. That requires a separate licensed mold inspector. I'm not sure if that's the case in California, but it's worth checking. I think they're just trying to scare you, especially since the letter came from the buyer and wasn't a subpoena or anything. Don't let them rattle you. I don't even believe you need a lawyer. Tell them to take a hike. When you sign the disclosure form, you are listing what you honestly believe is wrong with the house and the big things you repaired while you owned it. If they wanted to check for mold, they could have hired a mold inspector on their dime. Tough for them.

BTW, even if the inspector missed the mold, they can't sue him her either. Assuming he's qualified to check for mold, buyers sign a disclaimer which holds the inspector not liable for things they missed. That's because inspectors are human and they make mistakes. Also, just because a home is in a certain condition today doesn't mean it will be in the exact same condition next week or next month. For example a water leak today can turn into mold tomorrow, after the inspector checks it, so obviously he wouldn't see it at the time of inspection.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:28 AM

1,835 posts, read 3,273,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Here in Texas, general home inspectors are not allowed to disclose the presence of mold, even if they see it. That requires a separate licensed mold inspector. I'm not sure if that's the case in California, but it's worth checking. I think they're just trying to scare you. Don't let them. I don't even believe you need a lawyer. Tell them to take a hike. When you sign the disclosure form, you are listing what you honestly believe is wrong with the house and the big things you repaired while you owned it. If they wanted to check for mold, they could have hired a mold inspector on their dime. Tough for them.
I do not believe this is true....home inspectors are allowedto point out any issue which could be a potential problem, they just are not allowed to say it IS an actual problem. Much like the foundation, they can state that they have witnessed what appears to be damage to the foundation, but they can not give an opinion on the damage other than to state that a qualified engineer should be contacted for a professional opinion.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:54 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,673,923 times
Do nothing. Do not reply. And no need to contact an attorney yet, waste of money if your not being sued yet.

Wait until they serve you papers (lawsuit) which I doubt they will because their attorney will probably say they will loose. They saw the leak during inspection and accepted it without repairs.

Its very likely this will just go away without any action on your part.

(In the past I wait it out. If they eventually hire an attorney, I ignore all letters. If they finally serve me with papers for a law suit, I send all letters direct to the attorney 1 paragraph per letter, each being mailed a few days apart. The attorney charges the client each time they have to open a letter and racks up the bills. I do this to punish them financially for frivolous legal bullying. One guy complained to me he spent $3500 on attorney fees so far. He finally gave up because he was wrong and didn't want to loose in court with even more costs. One time I did end up in court, it was dismissed and the judge scolded the lawyer and client for wasting the courts time.)

Old 07-15-2016, 10:01 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,797,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelace View Post
The inspector also had that there was a leak under the sink. No one asked me to fix it. The buyers signed off. The house is there's.

Now my agent is telling me I didn't disclose a leak. So I could be liable.
If the inspector found the leak there is no way that you can be held responsible for not disclosing it.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:09 AM

15,597 posts, read 40,497,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmu View Post
I do not believe this is true....home inspectors are allowedto point out any issue which could be a potential problem, they just are not allowed to say it IS an actual problem. Much like the foundation, they can state that they have witnessed what appears to be damage to the foundation, but they can not give an opinion on the damage other than to state that a qualified engineer should be contacted for a professional opinion.
Out here they call it "growth." "The sink has some fungal/mold/mildrew growth and should be tested for mold."

Old 07-15-2016, 10:11 AM

15,597 posts, read 40,497,229 times
1) They have to prove that you knew the mold growth was there. That is different than thinking that you knew the mold growth was there.

2) If there is no mold growth documented by the home inspector they hired, that helps to prove that it was reasonable that you didn't know there was any mold growth.

I would hire an attorney to send them a letter just to be done with it. People can get nasty and you need to decide how many letters and such you want to get from the buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate